• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I thought he was good today. Ran his socks off and got the better of Tomori and Emerson quite a few times. Probably set up our best chance via open play. Lots of positives to take from this, his fitness is an issue though. Can’t help but look at Willian who had immense fitness levels and it showed right at the end. I think Nelson should model is game on that.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I like how intelligent he is on the pitch, reminds me a bit of Gnabry (don't think he as good as Serge though) but he always puts a quality shift in for the team, and is starting to relax a little, he is showing his attacking quality too...can see him being a favourite of Mikel, very happy with his performance today.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Today's game was VERY reminiscent of one of Gnabry's very early starts for Arsenal - very diligent performance with good passing, lots of work-rate, smart positioning and very little traction in the final 3rd.

I was pretty pleased with his performance, while also lamenting that he's really not seeing any significant possession of the ball in dangerous areas. Lots of really decent changes of direction, quick pass-and-move combinations and he's starting to feel confident in his dribbling again which is good. But the role he's currently doing - the traditional touchline winger - is not a perfect fit for him. He has decent top speed and very good acceleration but he's not built for those long, fast 100m-style sprints the way a talent like Xavier Amaechi was (he was faster than everyone bar Auba) or even Saka. Where he excels is in close-quarters, getting half a yard away to make something happen.

Arteta has to figure out a way to get him closer to the goal, because it's a problem at the moment - for the team and for Nelson. It's likely to protect AMN because he's so tucked in, and Nelson's worked very hard and put in a good shift. That said, the team needs more goals, and more threat. I think Nelson would be closer to goal coming in from the left, but there's nobody who could do that role on the left at the moment other than Martinelli. Pepe is the bigger goal threat currently, but he's probably not gonna do that role to the letter either.

Either way, I'm pleased Nelson had a good game today, it's more marginal improvements that are going to be helpful for him going forward. But I really want to see him start threatening the goal soon.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Summarised beautifully @MutableEarth. The next step for us as a team and Nelson is to get him the ball in more dangerous areas- similar to Pepe in that regard.

Nelson was doing a fine job in getting us up the pitch against Chelski. He ran them ragged. I can definitely see the benefits of his speed and core training, he seems to have an extra yard to get beyond players.

Just need him getting more shots away, more 1v1’s with defenders. He’s a good finisher is Nelson and he can have a massive say on how our season goes if he can develop a taste for goal at this level.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Building into a decent squaddie. Exactly how he should be used. I'd still advocate sending him out on loan though.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Needs to be more ruthless in duels. He is still young, but he came in late and was getting outpaced and outmuscled by fat Shaw.

I reckon it stems from lack of self-belief, as he had some great runs and duels in the 2nd half vs Chelsea.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Building into a decent squaddie. Exactly how he should be used. I'd still advocate sending him out on loan though.
I still don't understand why so many of you want to send our youngsters on loan. They are training with Özil and Pepe every day, mentored by Arteta on a state of the art training ground. On top of that, he is getting regular minutes under the new manager. And this is the case with all of our young players.
What fantasy loan can be better than that?

Even if you send some of them on loan, you need to fill squad roles with the likes of Elneny and Mkhi again which almost ruined our finances last couple of years with a miserable return on the pitch.

I'm definitely enjoying seeing Nelson/Willock/ESR/Saka entering the last 20 minutes or getting a cup game instead of seeing Elneny, Mkhi and co. again.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Definitely can see more upside off the bench. Can provide some fresh legs without losing too much technical ability on the ball.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I still don't understand why so many of you want to send our youngsters on loan. They are training with Özil and Pepe every day, mentored by Arteta on a state of the art training ground. On top of that, he is getting regular minutes under the new manager. And this is the case with all of our young players.
What fantasy loan can be better than that?

Even if you send some of them on loan, you need to fill squad roles with the likes of Elneny and Mkhi again which almost ruined our finances last couple of years with a miserable return on the pitch.

I'm definitely enjoying seeing Nelson/Willock/ESR/Saka entering the last 20 minutes or getting a cup game instead of seeing Elneny, Mkhi and co. again.

I feel it more important for forwards to be getting starts (which equals goals and assists) under their belt.

As much as Nketiah' loan move to Leeds hasn't worked out, him scoring goals at the top end of the championship surely trumps the odd Europa or Carabao appearance here.

Training can not replicate 90 minutes of intense football in a packed stadium. I'd love to see Nelson at a team like Villa or Norwich for 5 months.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I feel it more important for forwards to be getting starts (which equals goals and assists) under their belt.

As much as Nketiah' loan move to Leeds hasn't worked out, him scoring goals at the top end of the championship surely trumps the odd Europa or Carabao appearance here.

Training can not replicate 90 minutes of intense football in a packed stadium. I'd love to see Nelson at a team like Villa or Norwich for 5 months.
That's what I'm saying, it's a fantasy loan. He would play a squad role just like he plays it at Arsenal with less chance of improving. He already got a start against Chelsea and Everton with us and will rotate with Pepe on the right wing when needed.
I don't see any arguments in favour of a loan deal unless somebody can guarantee that he will play every game, and that will never happen until we find some kind of partner club

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
He needs to stop slipping over, and to be much more composed on the ball.

I'm concerned that he might not be very quick.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That's what I'm saying, it's a fantasy loan. He would play a squad role just like he plays it at Arsenal with less chance of improving. He already got a start against Chelsea and Everton with us and will rotate with Pepe on the right wing when needed.
I don't see any arguments in favour of a loan deal unless somebody can guarantee that he will play every game, and that will never happen until we find some kind of partner club

Playing regular competitive football has and always be better for a young player's development and confidence than substitute appearances and training.

I don't think Gnabry would be the player he is at Bayern if he sat on their bench instead of going to play at Hoffenheim while they phased out Robben and Ribery. His mate Coman and also Sancho not settling for training with stars and pursuing regular football are others.

We need to make better use of repurchase agreements in my opinion. Both Gnabry and Malen would immediately improve this squad.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He needs to stop slipping over, and to be much more composed on the ball.

I'm concerned that he might not be very quick.

That will come as he builds his lower body strength and power base. He's a little behind where he should be for men's football in that regard but he'll get there.

He's one worth being patient with I feel.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
He was really quite good against Chelsea, strong in possession and some dangerous dribbling that didnt quite come off but was positive nonetheless.

Didnt really like his cameo yesterday though. I understood the substitution and was hoping Nelson would help us in possession while pressuring the ManU defense to undermine their build up, but he was constantly late/poorly positioned so he was easily bypassed and kept slipping.

I see a role for him, but was hoping for a bit more threat from him. Hope Arteta will do him good though, he is clearly talented (as demonstrated by his first touches against Chelsea alone) and intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom