• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pikey2000

Early days but promising start, keep it up for the 2nd half of the season and we can start agreeing he has come good.

not expecting a worldie performance every week from him but he needs to keep this level of work rate up for more than 2 games before i'll be sold on him being worth his wage.

Can't fault his start though.

Ewarwoowar

Some said he needs world class players around him to perform, nope, just needs a proper functioning team, with desire that pushing and pulling opponents to create even minute avenues for him to do his ting, will even lower himself to press and track back if he knows it is done in an organized way as a unit. If we spend a match reliant solely on maybe two three players to dig us out, then teams are targeting him, getting multiple players around him, ruffing him up and he's not built for ufc with players almost twice his size.

Looking forward to see where this goes.

GDeep™

League is very weak
How was it possible for Mesut to put in one of his best defensive shifts ever under Arteta, but never under Emery?
Why is Torreira looking half decent again? Why are Auba and Laca running so much that they can’t get off the pitch at the end of the game?

Luiz said it after the game yesterday, and before too, they believe in Arteta and the players are happy.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Why is Torreira looking half decent again? Why are Auba and Laca running so much that they can’t get off the pitch at the end of the game?

Luiz said it after the game yesterday, and before too, they believe in Arteta and the players are happy.
Torreira was great under Emery initially before losing a bit of form and then getting messed around positionally. Auba hasn't stopped scoring goals and would probably carry on scoring if he was played at LB and we had Boris Johnson as our manager. He defended from the front and always did his bit anyway. He does a bit more now, I think, but I don't see much of a change--certainly not the total contrast as we do with Özil, who is a midfielder, and as such, simply can NOT afford to give anything less in every game, unlike a striker. He's doing better because even if he's not assisting or scoring, he popping up in places that he wouldn't usually and trying to get on the ball more, as if he's riding around on moped. It's not rocket science.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Torreira was great under Emery initially before losing a bit of form and then getting messed around positionally. Auba hasn't stopped scoring goals and would probably carry on scoring if he was played at LB and we had Boris Johnson as our manager. He defended from the front and always did his bit anyway. He does a bit more now, I think, but I don't see much of a change--certainly not the total contrast as we do with Özil, who is a midfielder, and as such, simply can NOT afford to give anything less in every game, unlike a striker. He's doing better because even if he's not assisting or scoring, he popping up in places that he wouldn't usually and trying to get on the ball more, as if he's riding around on moped. It's not rocket science.
What’s the argument here? Its clear Arteta is having a much better effect on the players than Emery ever had, if you need more proof than what you see on the pitch just look at the interview with David Luiz yesterday. We really need @Jury back because this isn’t working out mate.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1

I couldn't care less about all the other players that you've mentioned there because they were playing to their strengths, but when Özil was busy intercepting passes and pressing Man Utd players, it's like watching Pires tackling and winning the ball back from Paddy in THAT CL match.

The euphoria was surreal.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
What’s the argument here? Its clear Arteta is having a much better effect on the players than Emery ever had, if you need more proof than what you see on the pitch just look at the interview with David Luiz yesterday. We really need @Jury back because this isn’t working out mate.
Of course he is, no doubt, but lets not pretend it's the same key freeing them all.

Organisation and clarity see's the defence and midfield do better. The mental side of it plays a big part as well. But without the effort, none of it works.

Özil is a player who has the talent to influence games the more he's on the ball, and the extra effort makes him look a much better player quite unlike it does for the others. His extra effort in midfield could have been, was last night and will hopefully, going forward, help out our dodgy defence (nothing's fixed yet)

They're all individuals with their own skillsets, and effort accentuates Özil's like no others does. There was nothing really stopping him from getting about as much as he is now, apart from just not feeling happy, and that's not an excuse I'd accept from any of them, not just Özil.

Last edited:

say yes

forum master baiter
How was it possible for Mesut to put in one of his best defensive shifts ever under Arteta, but never under Emery?
I haven’t seen Özil work this hard defensively under any manager before - Low, Wenger, Emery, Mourinho etc.

Arteta has got the whole team running out of their skins for him.

Will probably drop off a bit as Arteta settles in: I reckon this is partly a new manager bounce / an issue of pride for players who have been affected by recent results. But even then, the organisation of their intensity bodes well for the future.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I’m just glad I’m on the right side of pretty much every issue. Disgrace that I still haven’t received the trusted tag.
Does being a trusted member literally mean your posts can be trusted?
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom