• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Lemar

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
@Rex Banter knows Lemar because he watch A.Madrid I'll be interested to see what he'll say

Pretty sure he already gave a good insight on him in this thread before :)
In summary, he'd said that Lemar isn't exactly used to his strengths there and probably could recreate his old form, if used accordingly.

But the point remains for me, that he isn't exactly the profile we need. We need physical monsters to add to the group imo. We need Partey or similar and Upa or similar, to get a new dimension.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

@Rex Banter knows Lemar because he watch A.Madrid I'll be interested to see what he'll say

Put this in the Edu transfers thread the other day mate. Good shout for me.

I’m probably the worst Atletico fan to ask seen as I love Tommy but I think he’s been totally misused by Simeone.

The main system of pressing we’ve come up against is teams matching our formation and pressing us high and marking man to man.

Often they’ll send blocks of four after whoever has the ball out on the byline, completely cutting out the passing lanes from the back four to the wide players as you can see below and completely choke their service. Lemar’s in the square just above the centre circle.

Alaves-high-wide-block-3.png

To negate this, the obvious strategy is to bring the wide players inside and create overloads in the middle to disrupt the press.

When we have say Koke or Saúl on the flanks this isn’t an issue as they’re more than happy playing in the middle. Lemar though struggles in the middle of the pitch, he’s a winger who is great at beating his man and putting lethal balls into the box or running into space.

Playing such a rigid attacking pattern means he’s completely useless for us, he hasn’t been great but in the right system still think there’s a great player in there.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think he also wasted in 442 formation

From memory even though he played in a 442 at Monaco they used him in a much more advanced position along the byline.

Remember him causing absolute havoc with Mendy down the left against City and Dortmund. Problem for him is that Atletico use extremely static full backs so there’s barely any overlapping or any width.

Think a top poacher like Aubameyang would absolutely love a left wing combo of Kolasinac/Tierney and Lemar. Would have crosses for days.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
On the one hand we definitely have more pressing needs and I'd much rather see Partey and/or a CB, but it's also about what's available in January. If none of the defensive targets is available and you can fix an offensive hole with your primary target at a discount rate (assuming Lemar is that guy), well then you make a move.

We do have a hole in the squad at LW, could do with a more established/experienced player behind whom our prospects can grow. Martinelli is ultimately a striker in the long term I think.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Great touch, technique, crossing and engine. Essentially he's a developed Saka! He is a little lightweight and out of form though.

I think he'd be great here. Lemar, Özil and Pepe with Ceballos would bring back some very sexy football!

truth_hurts

-----------------Torreria------Ceballos------------------
--Pepe----------------------Özil-----------------Lemar--
--------------------------Aubameyang--------------------

Jheeze. It would require big goal contributions from Lemar and Pepe though.

truth_hurts

Lemar is lightweight, he is not slow though! I'd rather a Zaha type, but Lemar is a much better footballer.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If he’s want Arteta wants then go for it, we still need to improve the attack and you can’t expect Martinelli to preform at the required level every game, an expectation that fans seem to get carried away with.

Hope it’s not a case of just going for a name though, as seems to be our way recently.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
This guy IMO is so average. I would rather play Nelson or Martinelli on the left. Second coming of Florent Malouda.

pikey2000

Didnt someone say that Arteta wants to have one wide winger hugging a touchline and one inside forward on the opposite side so that we have one full back that overlaps the inside forward and another that cuts inside the winger that hugs the touchline in order to create havoc for the opposition in terms of trying to defend against that type of movement?

If that is the case then we need a left footed left sided winger in the squad, so we can either go LW and Pepe at RW as inside forward, or Auba/Inside forward at LW with someone like Nelson playing as the RW hugging the right touchline

question is for me; is Lemar ready to contribute straight away? If he takes a season to bed in then you may as well run with Saka

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
We need the opposite of what Pepe is on the left hand side. Which is Lemar, will rarely cut in, will whip crosses in and would have a good partnership with Tierney with the way Tierney plays.

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

I used to be a big fan but I will take a hard pass on Lemar now. He has been out of form for too long and that should be a major concern if not a red flag. I don't think we can engage on that sort of rehabilitation project at this stage. Too risky.

Could also be the time to pick up a young player who has lost his way. If it was on the cheaper side I'd take a punt. I'd rather other positions and other signings first though.

Gunner-Union

we need a cb and a mid like partey or doucoure before we get another luxury player. if we want a winger to stay wide and run at defenders with pace im not sure thats lemars game anyway

Top Bottom