• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Dont act like I dont notice you constant hating on me mate.
What? Its like completely the other way around! I’m always nice to you, giving you compliments, laughing at your jokes...all I get from you is icecold rejection...

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I used to get excited about the future of Nelson but not any more. Its funny you should mention Iwobi because I think he'll go the same way, ie good dribbler but poor at everything else. I didn't think Iwobi would make it here and I feel the same about Nelson. I would love to be wrong but I see a loan and no way back.
Nah, I don't agree. I think Nelson will come good in the final 3rd, it's the one thing I actually think will save him if he can get more of the ball there. He is way better at shooting in particular. I think his shooting is something he should be leaning on more.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Physically lacking when you compare him to a young Zaha or even Hudson Odoi. Zaha had frightening pace which killed defenders as a kid, now he’s added power and obviously improved as a footballer.

Nelson just seems more pedestrian, despite his skills or footballing brain.

Last edited:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Nah, I don't agree. I think Nelson will come good in the final 3rd, it's the one thing I actually think will save him if he can get more of the ball there. He is way better at shooting in particular. I think his shooting is something he should be leaning on more.

I guess like so many things, time will tell. I'd love him to come good because I always thought he was one of our brightest young talents.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Its funny you should mention Iwobi because I think he'll go the same way, ie good dribbler but poor at everything else.
I would be very pleased if Nelson could dribble like Iwobi because trust me, the boy Nelson can shoot. Just trust me on that.

The issue right now is that he's not getting into those shooting positions. He's going to need to look at his mate Sancho, another one who's fast but not devastatingly so. Sancho uses his excellent footwork along with quick changes of pace and direction to get his seperation.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I would be very pleased if Nelson could dribble like Iwobi because trust me, the boy Nelson can shoot. Just trust me on that.

The issue right now is that he's not getting into those shooting positions. He's going to need to look at his mate Sancho, another one who's fast but not devastatingly so. Sancho uses his excellent footwork along with quick changes of pace and direction to get his seperation.
The key difference for me is trust and confidence. Sancho had a half season of consistent football at least before he started properly feeling himself. It wasn't overnight, it was consistent football that he was trusted to play, trust that Nelson hasn't really had until a few weeks ago when Arteta became manager and gave him 2 starts, one in what was a relatively big game.

As a result of that lack of trust, Nelson's confidence has naturally dwindled, not least in part because of a couple of heavily scrutinised substitute appearances where he was overpowered. Now he seems scared every time he goes to dribble. He was looking quite confident vs Chelsea and bought a few fouls and beat a few guys, but against Man United, he looked tired and laborious when he came on. He'll need to put that out of his mind and focus on his wins.

I think the role he's playing at the moment isn't helping him get those touches in the final 3rd either, but once he starts drifting central more we should see it more often. I still have a great deal of faith in him and I'm confident once he starts getting his confidence back up to where it needs to be, he'll be a star.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

The key difference for me is trust and confidence. Sancho had a half season of consistent football at least before he started properly feeling himself. It wasn't overnight, it was consistent football that he was trusted to play, trust that Nelson hasn't really had until a few weeks ago when Arteta became manager and gave him 2 starts, one in what was a relatively big game.

As a result of that lack of trust, Nelson's confidence has naturally dwindled, not least in part because of a couple of heavily scrutinised substitute appearances where he was overpowered. Now he seems scared every time he goes to dribble. He was looking quite confident vs Chelsea and bought a few fouls and beat a few guys, but against Man United, he looked tired and laborious when he came on. He'll need to put that out of his mind and focus on his wins.

I think the role he's playing at the moment isn't helping him get those touches in the final 3rd either, but once he starts drifting central more we should see it more often. I still have a great deal of faith in him and I'm confident once he starts getting his confidence back up to where it needs to be, he'll be a star.
Hopefully tonight. He's not the type of winger we're playing him as and I think if that was widespread knowledge then people would have more time for him.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Hopefully tonight. He's not the type of winger we're playing him as and I think if that was widespread knowledge then people would have more time for him.
The issue is that he's a much more technical player than given credit. Not even in a playmaker sense, but he generally makes things happen with his combinations and close-quarter dribbling, not to mention that he's a dangerous finisher when he gets his shots off. But he's not getting much chance to showcase that side of his game, and also most of his touches are not in the final 3rd. Nagelsmann in fairness always managed to get Nelson playing in the final 3rd, in fact he often played him central more than on the right or left. If we can get Nelson a heavy volume of touches, particularly in dangerous areas, I think we'll see him get more comfortable, more confident and more effective IMO.

RE Tonight, I've just read he might be playing RWB which is **** personally but hopefully he can still make a final 3rd contribution tonight.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Physically lacking when you compare him to a young Zaha or even Hudson Odoi. Zaha had frightening pace which killed defenders as a kid, now he’s added power and obviously improved as a footballer.

Nelson just seems more pedestrian, despite his skills or footballing brain.
A young Hleb/Nasri wasn’t physically good.
But they have the skills and football brain.
Our young players are not that good, even if you just focus on looking at their strengths.

Last edited:

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Probably would be hounded out of the club already if he was foreign and out in these displays.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think that might have been the happiest I've been to see an Arsenal player score a goal since........well, last week I guess :lol:.

Seriously, it was scrappy and ugly but I was really willing him to make a final 3rd contribution tonight and he did it eventually. Otherwise, I thought he was OK. He had some really good touches in the game aswell and carried us forward along with Pepe at times but he's just lacking the belief to really put some more edge on his performance. A few times it just didn't come together, he either fell over or left the ball behind. It is simply composure IMO - he's working very hard and obviously wants to do well. He just needs to calm it a little bit and just play his game. He's better from the left IMO, and the fact he even got into that goalscoring position in the first place is proof enough.

There's way more to come from him IMO, he just needs to believe and hold onto moments like these as motivation and discipline himself to be consistent.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Not every prospect is a Martinelli with immediate impact. Nelson has attributes and for that alone he deserves time. I’m not saying he’s certain to make it but the ceiling is high.

Do you all think Wenger, Emery, Freddie and now Arteta are picking him for no reason?

Reactions: A_G

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I think that might have been the happiest I've been to see an Arsenal player score a goal since........well, last week I guess :lol:.

Seriously, it was scrappy and ugly but I was really willing him to make a final 3rd contribution tonight and he did it eventually. Otherwise, I thought he was OK. He had some really good touches in the game aswell and carried us forward along with Pepe at times but he's just lacking the belief to really put some more edge on his performance. A few times it just didn't come together, he either fell over or left the ball behind. It is simply composure IMO - he's working very hard and obviously wants to do well. He just needs to calm it a little bit and just play his game. He's better from the left IMO, and the fact he even got into that goalscoring position in the first place is proof enough.

There's way more to come from him IMO, he just needs to believe and hold onto moments like these as motivation and discipline himself to be consistent.

That was definitely better tonight. He saw more of the ball and looked better with it.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
@MutableEarth to Arteta, when he thought he played Reiss out of position tonight...

0ae71efa392f11b44ef81ef5ef64ce12.jpg

@MutableEarth to Arteta, when he played him wide left and he scored the winning goal...

maxresdefault.jpg

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
If he can become an Iwobi-like squad player, that’s good enough for me. He’s English as well so can make quite a lot of money off him if we sell at the right time.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Not every prospect is a Martinelli with immediate impact. Nelson has attributes and for that alone he deserves time. I’m not saying he’s certain to make it but the ceiling is high.

Do you all think Wenger, Emery, Freddie and now Arteta are picking him for no reason?
Thing is, had he been introduced differently, I reckon he could have made that kind of impact. Wenger kinda ****ed him by playing him RWB in the beginning. I never thought that was a good idea. Getting dropped from the Hoffenheim team every time he scored did not do good for his confidence either. I'm just glad Arteta has shown faith in him and obviously sees how good he can be. He has such technical ability and he can score goals (scrappy one today but it's a goal). When he starts putting it together, people will see how great he is.

@MutableEarth to Arteta, when he thought he played Reiss out of position tonight...

0ae71efa392f11b44ef81ef5ef64ce12.jpg

@MutableEarth to Arteta, when he played him wide left and he scored the winning goal...

maxresdefault.jpg
Basically :lol:

nick gould

Ball control and first touch is really good. That shot thought, the one that hit a defender when we had a player free, that reminded me of iwobi. No power at all. The one he scored from reminded me of Welbeck. But I suspect he is a good listener which should explain why Arteta plays him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom