• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilshero

I feel Nelson is the perfect specimen for Arteta, considering what he's been doing with the likes of Sane and Sterling previously. Just give it time.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I feel Nelson is the perfect specimen for Arteta, considering what he's been doing with the likes of Sane and Sterling previously. Just give it time.
I hope so.
But I'm not holding my breath

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Sane and Sterling...??? Do you really think Nelson’s dribbling skills is 1/10 as dangerous and as scary to defenders as theirs?

Sane and Sterling...??? Do you really think Nelson’s dribbling skills is 1/10 as dangerous and as scary to defenders as theirs?

It boils down a misunderstanding about the way he likes to utilize his technique i think, and what he is supposedly good at. From what i've seen he doesn't prefer dribbling to advance the ball. He uses his great close control to retain the ball primarily, more like Özil in that fashion, and prefers the passing option to 1 on 1's unless he is isolated on the field.

Afro Mugo

Alright.
I can tell you that Iwobi at 19 already
had good decision making.
All the stuff you're talking about, Iwobi
already had it by 19. So I don't get your
point that he needs more game time.
We can't afford to give him more game
time in the league with the hope that
he'll play his way into form. If he was a
foreigner, most people would already
have been calling for him to be sold.
Iwobi at 19 was a physical beast . That is what gave him the edge, you couldn't take the ball off him because of that . Add that to his passing ability , he was able to stake his place in first team but his indecisiveness and poor movement in the final third let him down and to be fair he never possessed those skills even in the youth teams apart from that short period he played as a striker when Akpom left on loan and he had an incredible goal run otherwise Alex's skills at youth are pretty much what he brought to the first steam. Strength, Close Control and link up play in between the lines. Reiss has a lot in his locker which he hasn't been able to translate at a higher level mostly due to his slow physical developement. He doesn't have the natural size like Iwobi or Hudson Odoi, he's a bit like Theo with regards to physical development . He needs a few months in the gym plus a lot of S and C training outside of the club. Bukayo falls into the Iwobi category in terms of physical genes

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Iwobi at 19 was a physical beast . That is what gave him the edge, you couldn't take the ball off him because of that . Add that to his passing ability , he was able to stake his place in first team but his indecisiveness and poor movement in the final third let him down and to be fair he never possessed those skills even in the youth teams apart from that short period he played as a striker when Akpom left on loan and he had an incredible goal run otherwise Alex's skills at youth are pretty much what he brought to the first steam. Strength, Close Control and link up play in between the lines. Reiss has a lot in his locker which he hasn't been able to translate at a higher level mostly due to his slow physical developement. He doesn't have the natural size like Iwobi or Hudson Odoi, he's a bit like Theo with regards to physical development . He needs a few months in the gym plus a lot of S and C training outside of the club. Bukayo falls into the Iwobi category in terms of physical genes
How about a young Hleb or Nasri?
If your skill level is far superior than others, you don’t need to be physically built to translate your game to a higher level.

Afro Mugo

Sane and Sterling are two different players. Sane is a physical monster . He can dribble directly over long distances like bale and in short spaces like Robben . Sterling relies on quick feet in short spaces and he can change direction very quickly at full speed. Reiss is no Sane but he has similarities to Raheem in that he has that acceleration and can change direction quickly due to his ability to use both feet and I'll repeat Reiss has a physical problem . The chance he missed on Monday . You could see his ability to Carry the ball and quickly change the direction in the box but lost his balance when he got outmuscled . If he sorts out his physical deficiencies he'll showcase his talents

Afro Mugo

How about a young Hleb or Nasri.
Hleb was playing in Belarus at Reiss age so it's hard to comment. Samir had his breakthrough season at Marseille when he was 19-20 and he had two full seasons of football before that. Something Reiss hasn't had yet. Samir was being touted as the next Zidane at youth level and he came and struggled for consistency here for quite a while . Reiss just turned 20 . We are always quick to forget how young he is.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Hleb was playing in Belarus at Reiss age so it's hard to comment. Samir had his breakthrough season at Marseille when he was 19-20 and he had two full seasons of football before that. Something Reiss hasn't had yet. Samir was being touted as the next Zidane at youth level and he came and struggled for consistency here for quite a while . Reiss just turned 20 . We are always quick to forget how young he is.
When Nasri was in the youth French international team, he was already unstoppable. I watched some match of his when he was in a youth international tournament, he could dribble past 4 players at a time.

Later in his career, Nasri wasn’t inconsistent, do you think a talented dribbler with such great skills would suddenly forget how to do a step over or marseille turn? No, he could still dribble past players with ease, the problem is that he had an attitude problem.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

How about a young Hleb or Nasri?
If your skill level is far superior than others, you don’t need to be physically built to translate your game to a higher level.
People are making excuses for Nelson by saying he's not developed physically. Sterling and Sane has the physical attribute as Nelson, but they're able to maximize theirs. Meanwhile, when a defender is within five yards of Nelson, he panics.

Nasri and Hleb were not Strongest physically, but they could use their superior technique to get past opponents.

Infact, all the qualities that they says he possesses, he has never shown it in an arsenal shirt.

Arteta is only playing for tactical reason, not for any special quality he brings to the team

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Why do we make all this comparisons with Nasri? Nasri was a brilliant talent than doesn't come every day and Nelson is nothing like that.
If Nelson develops into a solid PL player who can play a squad role for the next couple of years, I'm happy to take that and see how it goes.
We've invested zero in him and his salary will always be low unless he develops into some crazy superstar, which wasn't the case with many of our squad players who we overpaid and gave them big contracts.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Why do we make all this comparisons with Nasri? Nasri was a brilliant talent than doesn't come every day and Nelson is nothing like that.
If Nelson develops into a solid PL player who can play a squad role for the next couple of years, I'm happy to take that and see how it goes.
We've invested zero in him and his salary will always be low unless he develops into some crazy superstar, which wasn't the case with many of our squad players who we overpaid and gave them big contracts.
Omari is our hope.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Wenger rated walcott. A lot of fans thought he was better than bale. I never think he is a good player.

Walcott has had a very effective career in the PL. Teams used to worry about him and set up differently as a result. In the end he wasn't excellent but he was good for us.

Ferguson rated lingard

Lingers was effective but has clearly lost his way. It's not because of a lack of talent. Footballers are humans. Their performance is multifactorial

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Walcott has had a very effective career in the PL. Teams used to worry about him and set up differently as a result. In the end he wasn't excellent but he was good for us.

Lingers was effective but has clearly lost his way. It's not because of a lack of talent. Footballers are humans. Their performance is multifactorial
Walcott was sh**. One of the sh**est footballer I have ever seen in a top team.

Walcott was sh**. One of the sh**est footballer I have ever seen in a top team.

Then i can only summarize that you have no appreciation or understanding of football. He was rather limited, but great at those few things he did. The assist for Adebayor against liverpool in the CL comes to mind.

He had a blistering pace, that could bypass defender just by the sheer speed or a slight change in direction they could not match. He had a great finish on him. And he was great at pulling defenders away , leaving much bigger space for other to exploit before other defenders could fill it.

Notice Walcott running across the backline, dragging one of the center backs with him, creating mountains of space for Nasri.

He also had sublime finishes.

Injury kind of limited his speed, but while he still had pace, he was a decent player for us.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

If he develops to Become half the player nasri was for us, I'll be very happy. But I don't see it.

At least, with Walcott, you see that defenders were afraid to get near him because he could burn them with pace.

Wilshere at 17 was already dominating some of the best midfielders in the world.

Ramsey, Ashley Cole, etc

These were youth players that had defining qualities that you could work with, but with nelson I just don't see it. He's not good enough to play in the wing because his dribbling is below average. We cannot play him in No 10 position when we have players like ESR who are more suited to that role even though we don't if ESR will turn out to be a good player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom