• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It's interesting that one full-back (Kola or Saka when he played) tends to go and play as a winger in the build-up and the other tends to go inside and play as an extra midfielder (AMN). It'd be interesting to see how this would work if it was Tierney and Bellerin as our full-backs, would it be the opposite? As in Bellerin playing as the winger and Tierney coming inside as the extra midfielder? Or would Tierney play as a 3rd CB in the buildup allowing Xhaka to stay in midfield? Also if we're signing full-backs then this is something we'd have to keep in mind, probably the ideal full-back would be someone who's capable of playing more inverted and also having the capacity to play as an extra winger if needs be.

Also enjoyed the stuff in the video @DJ_Markstar talking about attacking the half spaces, getting players in those areas where it can be dangerous either getting a chance of their own, or creating space by forcing a defender to react. This is how you're supposed to attack, not whatever the **** Emery was trying to do. We should never appoint someone as cowardly again. Even someone like Conte who's seen as a more pragmatic manager wants to attack with as many players as possible, encouraging his midfielders to burst into those spaces, hence why Vidal at Juve used to get so many goals. Also attacking with 5 attackers against a back 4 it's obvious we're gonna stretch out the defence and someone will get into a space where they can get a chance. Against United Kola really proved to be of huge importance to us as AWB was up against Auba already and Auba kept coming inside meaning Kola had the space. We were killing them that side. And on the opposite side Pepe was doing damaging to tubby with ease allowing us to have Auba-Laca-Özil all in the centre up against two United CB's.

Then we get onto the high pressing, which is something that annoyed me that we seen such a lack of it under Emery because I thought he was a coach who encouraged pressing. I looked back to the PSG 4 Barca 0 game and the intensity and high-pressing of PSG that game, I assumed it was a reference point for an Emery team. Turns out that must have been quite a rarity because bar a few games in his first season it's not something we saw consistently. Under Arteta it's now one of the thing we do straight off the bat (apart from Leeds which we started slowly) but against Chelsea and United you saw straight away that we were gonna press their defences at any opportunity. It's the way I wanna see football being played because it causes a lot of problems for the opposition and never allows them to settle or be comfortable on the ball. It also gives us a different aura, for such a long time we were a bit passive when we didn't have the ball and I think most teams knew that, now all of a sudden we run like animals and teams will have think differently. Also it helps create a good atmosphere in the stadium, if the fans see the players running, closing down, trying to win the ball back the fans will back the players more.

The two best teams in the league City and Liverpool (and probably the world currently) press really high, lots of running, lots of aggression. This is modern football, Pochettino was doing it at Sp**s, Rodgers does it at Leicester to relative success. Bielsa and Leeds who'll probably get promoted and we saw how good they are on Monday. Tuchel with PSG presses high, Naggelsman and Leipzig who're going excellently. Rose and Mochengladbach. Ajax under Ten Hag who reached the CL semi-finals. I'm a bit wary of managers who don't get their teams to press at all, it doesn't have to be high pressing but just getting your side to sit off no matter if you're winning, losing, drawing and waiting for an opportunity is just too cowardly for me. Fortune favours the brave.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We’re still conceding that many shots? Doesn’t feel like it during the games.

Leeds game skews it a bit, they had so many shots in the first half against us, Martinez saved us a few times and Bamford hit the bar. I think in general tho we're restricting teams far more, previously we were conceding lots of shots in threatening positions.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Leeds game skews it a bit, they had so many shots in the first half against us, Martinez saved us a few times and Bamford hit the bar. I think in general tho we're restricting teams far more, previously we were conceding lots of shots in threatening positions.
No skewing, I checked our games. Thought we did too :lol:.

I agree in the point with less threathening areas though.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It's interesting that one full-back (Kola or Saka when he played) tends to go and play as a winger in the build-up and the other tends to go inside and play as an extra midfielder (AMN). It'd be interesting to see how this would work if it was Tierney and Bellerin as our full-backs, would it be the opposite? As in Bellerin playing as the winger and Tierney coming inside as the extra midfielder? Or would Tierney play as a 3rd CB in the buildup allowing Xhaka to stay in midfield? Also if we're signing full-backs then this is something we'd have to keep in mind, probably the ideal full-back would be someone who's capable of playing more inverted and also having the capacity to play as an extra winger if needs be.

Also enjoyed the stuff in the video @DJ_Markstar talking about attacking the half spaces, getting players in those areas where it can be dangerous either getting a chance of their own, or creating space by forcing a defender to react. This is how you're supposed to attack, not whatever the **** Emery was trying to do. We should never appoint someone as cowardly again. Even someone like Conte who's seen as a more pragmatic manager wants to attack with as many players as possible, encouraging his midfielders to burst into those spaces, hence why Vidal at Juve used to get so many goals. Also attacking with 5 attackers against a back 4 it's obvious we're gonna stretch out the defence and someone will get into a space where they can get a chance. Against United Kola really proved to be of huge importance to us as AWB was up against Auba already and Auba kept coming inside meaning Kola had the space. We were killing them that side. And on the opposite side Pepe was doing damaging to tubby with ease allowing us to have Auba-Laca-Özil all in the centre up against two United CB's.

Then we get onto the high pressing, which is something that annoyed me that we seen such a lack of it under Emery because I thought he was a coach who encouraged pressing. I looked back to the PSG 4 Barca 0 game and the intensity and high-pressing of PSG that game, I assumed it was a reference point for an Emery team. Turns out that must have been quite a rarity because bar a few games in his first season it's not something we saw consistently. Under Arteta it's now one of the thing we do straight off the bat (apart from Leeds which we started slowly) but against Chelsea and United you saw straight away that we were gonna press their defences at any opportunity. It's the way I wanna see football being played because it causes a lot of problems for the opposition and never allows them to settle or be comfortable on the ball. It also gives us a different aura, for such a long time we were a bit passive when we didn't have the ball and I think most teams knew that, now all of a sudden we run like animals and teams will have think differently. Also it helps create a good atmosphere in the stadium, if the fans see the players running, closing down, trying to win the ball back the fans will back the players more.

The two best teams in the league City and Liverpool (and probably the world currently) press really high, lots of running, lots of aggression. This is modern football, Pochettino was doing it at Sp**s, Rodgers does it at Leicester to relative success. Bielsa and Leeds who'll probably get promoted and we saw how good they are on Monday. Tuchel with PSG presses high, Naggelsman and Leipzig who're going excellently. Rose and Mochengladbach. Ajax under Ten Hag who reached the CL semi-finals. I'm a bit wary of managers who don't get their teams to press at all, it doesn't have to be high pressing but just getting your side to sit off no matter if you're winning, losing, drawing and waiting for an opportunity is just too cowardly for me. Fortune favours the brave.
Spot on analysis. And it was clear that Luiz has been given the job of feeding Kola. He makes occasional mistakes but his passing out from the back line has always been excellent.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

i281756464732436692._szw1280h1280_.jpg

Because the goal is in the middle, so the middle of the pitch is the most dangerous area. But it will also be the most congested area.

That’s why you need width to open it up. But too many players on the flanks are not good, since the wide areas are not the most dangerous areas. And also, passing options are limited there, you can’t pass towards the sideline, the far side is too far to reach.

So Guardiola will put a maximum of one wide player as wide as possible, hugging the touch line on each flanks, to provide width and passing options (only one player on each side).

There are two ways that he would achieve that:

1 the wingers stay wide, the wingbacks tuck in as central midfielders, and central midfielders push up to attack the half space. OR

2 the wingers drift inside to occupy the half space, the wingbacks stays wide, moving up and down vertically, and the central midfielders stays as central midfielders.

3 a combination of 1&2

Interesting to see which way Arteta will choose. Which wide players he would pick will depend on that.

As I have mentioned, the wide players are there to provide width. And the wide areas are not the most dangerous area.

The central area is the most dangerous area but it is too congested with opponent defence occupying the middle.

That is where the half space comes useful, it is less congested than the middle but a lot more dangerous than the sides. You also get more passing options able to access other areas of the pitch.
Modern tactics deviates from having a rigid concept of formation to field occupation (which space a player should occupy or be positioned on the pitch). And field occupation can be achieved with different starting formation.
How Bellerin or Tierney would be played? Our team will arrive with the same final field occupation, regardless of them shifting in or staying wide.
This is the final field occupation we wanted to achieve (ignore players name, we just need any players occupying these positions):
D9-B764-AA-3-F31-48-F7-8-A9-B-8-A67-C86-B73-EB.jpg

The inverted approach has a distance advantage, the fullback will have to just occupy the central midfielders position. Which will be closer to where they should be when transitioning to defending. The original central midfielders can push up to attack the half space, so both fullbacks and midfielders contribute to the movement to achieve the final field occupation. Downside of this is that it requires our fullbacks to possess the ability of a midfielder.
BB5-A889-F-2471-4705-8-F55-FA76-DDB7-B702.jpg

The staying wide approach will be able to showcase our fullback’s pace but they need to cover more distances in the transitions. The original midfielders will pretty much staying where they should be. So only the fullbacks will move significantly to achieve our final field occupation, which they covered more distance, with the midfielders not moving much. This will be a less efficient way to use energy. In this approach, the wingers will attack the half space, fullbacks will keep the width.
F9-CAC5-A5-11-D0-431-D-81-A4-8954-C5-A18747.jpg

Last edited:

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
There is no quick fix to our problems,but we played some nice stuff today.We defo need to get rid of some players and we lack quality in some positions.Our depth is also poor.It's a long way for Mikel to make all things good.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Should have had his second win today, unfortunately decision making both by ourselves and the referee didnt help today, combined with some luck for Palace.

He needs to work on Pepe some more. Im not happy with his inability to release the ball quicker. In addition he needs to provide more options around him as he is tag teamed tackled.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

It’s so much harder us being **** when I really like the manager. Some bad luck today..
Torreira injured, massive deflection, down to 10 and Pepe missing by inches.
Needs goal scorers ASAP

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Such an unlucky performance (that Pepe shot should have gone in, Torreira injured and so should have a load of referee decisions), but its a bump. Still a step up on everything Emery did this season and not horrible stats.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I think it's step by step he know with this team is difficult to get momentum we get tired quickly too he'll need proper pre season to get them going. The first 30 minutes today was fantastic but we should've scored 2 more to finish them off.

Pepes blue pill

The way the game played out just showed another area we have improved in, not only do I think we defended decently again but the way we saw the game out after the red card was very professional, just a few weeks back we would collaspe in the situation

Get These Hands

Off of my purse !

I'd personally want Xhaka away from the midfield melee because that's where he's vulnerable.

GDeep™

League is very weak
League season is well and truly over after today, Auba missing 3 games too so the goals drying up too.

Tough times for Arteta.

Latest posts

Top Bottom