• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Xhaka is a good player that's been mismanaged for most of his entire career. If he was anything less than good then he would have dropped by Wenger/Emery/Arteta.

People go on about press resistance but show me a player who's press resistant when the opposition can focus solely on him. Santi struggled hugely when playing with Coquelin because teams could focus wholeheartedly on pressing him, remember that.

The dumb moments are unfortunately just him though. Nobody to blame for that although you could make a point about him having to cover huge areas of space which lead him to panic.
Santi struggled when playing along with Coquelin? He was pressed. True. But never struggled. He was the master of getting out of a press. That was the last good midfield partnership we had.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

**** me dead he was quality even on his last legs . Amazing we had him , Santi , Rosicky , Özil , Ramsey and people still moaned .
Kind of inaccurate.

Granted Ramsey divides opinion on here but the moans were mostly about injuries and never adding to that crop you mentioned.

Think we cried about LW for a decade
Moaned about CF since Giroud
Moaned about defence - albeit not as much as now

Those names you mentioned was looked at favourably for the most part tbh.

Jae

Nah mate. You're blinded by Xhaka hate if you can't see he's been thriving under Arteta. If he continues like this i see no good reason to let him go, and neither should you.

"Thriving" is a bit of an overstatement. He's been good in some games, he's been okay in others. Torreira is the one doing the business under Arteta.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I try to think who in our team can hit a 40+ yard pass to switch play with any sort of accuracy and only Xhaka, Luiz, (and at a stretch Torreira) spring to mind.
I don’t think I’ve seen Torreira hit a 40 yard long pass in an Arsenal shirt :lol:

Not his game

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
People go on about press resistance but show me a player who's press resistant when the opposition can focus solely on him. Santi struggled hugely when playing with Coquelin because teams could focus wholeheartedly on pressing him, remember that.
Santi was great at resisting press, even given the circumstances. He had so much composure on the ball and faith in his ability.

People have been going on about Xhaka being ‘revived’ recently but even though he’s had a couple very good performances, Iv also seen moments where he was so lucky it didn’t end up worse. First half vs Leeds was an embarrassing ****show for him and people talk about other players but he was looking like a league1 player out there. Vs Palace he wasn’t as bad but on a couple occasions he was making meals out of very simple passing where he’d give the opportunity for the opponent to press him.

He is definitely being better covered by our team but with Xhaka you get some really bad lows even when he has stunning games. I can’t warm to that or respect that in a CM, I don’t see a future where we are a really formidable side and have Xhaka in the team, since we lost Santi and Xhaka took his role we haven’t been close to top4. Not saying it’s his fault, it’s the clubs fault for relying on someone not good enough to play such an important role in the team.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
People keep going on about “not playing to his strengths” when making excuses for players like Özil and Xhaka.

Well yes let’s say you’re right, but this isn’t a Xhaka forum. It’s a Xhaka thread on an Arsenal forum. He has not been good enough for us, if we have the wrong set up and style for him and we aren’t doing him right (for 3-4 years now..) then he should be sold anyway :lol:.

What the reality is though, is that he’s a player with some very clear strengths but also very noticeable weaknesses. For a player like this you have to set up the midfield with him in mind, and I don’t think he’s good enough to warrant that sorry.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Kind of inaccurate.

Granted Ramsey divides opinion on here but the moans were mostly about injuries and never adding to that crop you mentioned.

Think we cried about LW for a decade
Moaned about CF since Giroud
Moaned about defence - albeit not as much as now

Those names you mentioned was looked at favourably for the most part tbh.

Nah mate , pretty accurate there were quite a few that wanted Santi replaced asap , Özil divided opinions even then and Rosicky was a crock with no end product . just saying sometimes you just got to appreciate what we have/had.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Nah mate , pretty accurate there were quite a few that wanted Santi replaced asap , Özil divided opinions even then and Rosicky was a crock with no end product . just saying sometimes you just got to appreciate what we have/had.
Santi replaced ASAP?

News to me, he was God around these parts from what I remember reading.

For years Özil got allowance with many saying it was the teams fault he’s not performing. Rosicky was just a crock but still a favourite, yeah I can’t say I agree with that.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Santi replaced ASAP?

News to me, he was God around these parts from what I remember reading.

For years Özil got allowance with many saying it was the teams fault he’s not performing. Rosicky was just a crock but still a favourite, yeah I can’t say I agree with that.

Go back and look for yourself mate its all there.

CJJ

Established Member
"Thriving" is a bit of an overstatement. He's been good in some games, he's been okay in others. Torreira is the one doing the business under Arteta.
I think thats a uncharitable and simplistic way of describing our latest midfield performances. If you had replaced Xhaka with Guendouzi next to Torreira you'd have seen issues. Its not like Torreira has been carrying Xhaka, they've been complimenting each other.

Jae

I think thats a uncharitable and simplistic way of describing our latest midfield performances. If you had replaced Xhaka with Guendouzi next to Torreira you'd have seen issues. Its not like Torreira has been carrying Xhaka, they've been complimenting each other.

Charity FC is no more :lol:

I never said or even implied this. I merely suggested your statement that Xhaka was "thriving" was generous, which it was.

CJJ

Established Member
Charity FC is no more :lol:

I never said or even implied this. I merely suggested your statement that Xhaka was "thriving" was generous, which it was.
I believe our midfield has been thriving since Arteta joined, that includes Xhaka and Torreira. Is that still generious or does it only apply to one of them?
I understand you implied the latter.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I don't think anyone hated Santi as a player. Only after he was out with long term injury, people wanted a replacement and we got Xhaka instead.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I don't think anyone hated Santi as a player. Only after he was out with long term injury, people wanted a replacement and we got Xhaka instead.

No honestly it started in his 2nd season and quite a few when Özil came people some even wanted him sold , ask Jury he used to have to defend him .

Bloodbather

Established Member

**** me dead he was quality even on his last legs . Amazing we had him , Santi , Rosicky , Özil , Ramsey and people still moaned .

Wilshere is definitely the biggest what if story for us. Such a huge disappointment considering how promising he was when he started out. World class midfielder that never was.

Would be great to see him at his prime level playing for Arteta, he'd thrive for sure.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Xhaka's not giving away a penalty, making an error directly responsible for a goal or performing so abjectly that he's booed en mass and all of a sudden people are making out like he's a world beater. I can wait till the summer but he needs to be sold if we are ever to improve in the middle of the park and as a team as a whole. It's no coincidence that we've missed out on CL every season since he's signed. 2 difference managers with widely differing play styles but unwavering support for Xhaka couldn't get him to play consistently well for more than a handful of games.

Last edited:

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
The bar has fallen so low that we have to applaud him for not giving away penalties or not costing us games by making stupid mistakes(he actually made some in recent games as well, just that he was lucky to get away with them). We don't need our midfielders to have opponents to be pinned in their half anymore, just don't make mistakes & you're superman, hulk & kratos rolled into one supreme being according to some posters here.
Torreira has been carrying his immobile behind these last few weeks. But like I said before, there are some posters here who are more of Xhaka fans than Arsenal fans

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Wilshere is definitely the biggest what if story for us. Such a huge disappointment considering how promising he was when he started out. World class midfielder that never was.

Would be great to see him at his prime level playing for Arteta, he'd thrive for sure.

Diaby...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom