• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
All that conclusions with him barely starting half the games, in a new league.

That's not conclusions, it's observation. I do think there's more to come from him, but right now it's just not all that. Right now there are obvious problems and hopefully they can be solved and he can get into gear.

Moah

That's not conclusions, it's observation. I do think there's more to come from him, but right now it's just not all that. Right now there are obvious problems and hopefully they can be solved and he can get into gear.
I agree with that. Let's give him enough sample space for us to judge him with. There are problems but lets see how those will be dealt with.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Gervinho was more of a direct runner with the ball using pace whereas Pepe looks a more technical runner.

But really Gervinho was a very good player. You just cant put up the numbers he did in both Ligue 1 & Serie A being ****. Even at 32 playing with a rank average team has 4 goals & 3 assists in little over 1000 Serie A minutes this season.

Gervinho had potential but all that is limited by how low his football IQ is. Which limited him to be nothing more than a flat track bully player. So frustrating to see him dribble past players only to dribble his way into a dead end. Pepe's potential is not going to be higher than Gervinho's if he doesn't develop some football IQ. And I am not sure he is young enough to do so.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Fine margins. If the keeper doesnt make a ridiculous save, he's a hero and this thread takes a different turn, even if proper analysis will tell you before and after the strike, there was very little from him. Can't be arsed looking for reasons, like the ball not being played forward enough or whatever--poor day at the office.
This reminds me of myself in the Özil thread when he was actually a top player. Battling to explain why his perfomances weren't good, trying to explain that the price tag has nothing to do with the player then eventually giving up and just letting the agenda merchants do their thing.

Funny you're doing this because you're one of the people I battled the most in that thread.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
This reminds me of myself in the Özil thread when he was actually a top player. Battling to explain why his perfomances weren't good, trying to explain that the price tag has nothing to do with the player then eventually giving up and just letting the agenda merchants do their thing.

Funny you're doing this because you're one of the people I battled the most in that thread.
I don't get it... I was the one saying popping up with an assist when you've done nothing else all game to affect it, was not and is not enough. That's what I'm saying regarding Pepe. Had he scored, it would have been huge relief, but the overall performance would have remained poor. The Özil thread had people wanking over an 83rd minute corner 'assist' after a 3/10 performance, and saying 'he did what he's put there to do' etc.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I don't get it... I was the one saying popping up with an assist when you've done nothing else all game to affect it, was not and is not enough. That's what I'm saying regarding Pepe. Had he scored, it would have been huge relief, but the overall performance would have remained poor. The Özil thread had people wanking over an 83rd minute corner 'assist' after a 3/10 performance, and saying 'he did what he's put there to do' etc.
I'm not disagreeing with you. Tbh I may be extremely tired because the point was a ****e one.:lol:

I just remember some times arguing with you about an 'ineffective' Özil performance where he had still happened to set up teammates multiple times who had then went on to miss the chances.

Looking back at it now I think I agree with you. If Özil had gotten an assist yesterday I don't think it would be a good perfomance even though what seems like 90% of the forum would. Similarly, If Guaita didn't pull off an absolute worldie of a save would Pepe's poor performance have been masked? I don't know.

What I do know is that the grumbles are starting to mount up like they did with Özil, excuses that everybody excepted as valid are suddenly being ignored and the tide is slowly shifting. Price tags are toxic and when the season is going as poorly as it is people's patience wears thin.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
I'm not disagreeing with you. Tbh I may be extremely tired because the point was a ****e one.:lol:

I just remember some times arguing with you about an 'ineffective' Özil performance where he had still happened to set up teammates multiple times who had then went on to miss the chances.

Looking back at it now I think I agree with you. If Özil had gotten an assist yesterday I don't think it would be a good perfomance even though what seems like 90% of the forum would. Similarly, If Guaita didn't pull off an absolute worldie of a save would Pepe's poor performance have been masked? I don't know.

What I do know is that the grumbles are starting to mount up like they did with Özil, excuses that everybody excepted as valid are suddenly being ignored and the tide is slowly shifting. Price tags are toxic and when the season is going as poorly as it is people's patience wears thin.
Oh, I see, you been fvcking with them KFC scoundrels from down the road... That stuff can blur your vision.

For me, the only players who get off with doing nothing all game--providing they're not missing sitters willy nilly--are strikers who score the decisive goal/s. Call me old fashioned, but there are 9 men behind them to do what else has to be done. If you're a bonafide striker, defend from the front and that's all I want to see--everything else is a bonus.

If I'm anything, I'm consistent with criticism. Had Pepe scored, it would have been one in the eye for his massive doubters for sure, just because it is :lol: But there wouldn't have been any point in hailing it as 'job done' because it would have been far from that. He has to have a far more complete performance otherwise we're setting ourselves up for fools, and this football forum posting is serious business.

pikey2000

The guy is basically our Mahrez, very similar players in terms of play style, heavily left footed, love to cut in and bend it into the far corner, has a trick or two to go past players, fast enough but not rapid, will work but isn't going to bust a gut defensively.

He also has a similar cieling to Mahrez for me i.e he won't ever be a starter for the elite but for the likes of us he is going to be a top player, i'm confident he will post better numbers next season after a year under his belt and a full preseason with Arteta.

GDeep™

League is very weak
They will normally go a couple of weeks before and return a week after their exit. I remember Toure never was the same when he returned to league football after the tournament.

Takes a lot out of you. Would say this is a massive blow when you consider the kick on and development we’re expecting in his 2nd season.

Would go as far as to say you now write off his second season too.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
They will normally go a couple of weeks before and return a week after their exit. I remember Toure never was the same when he returned to league football after the tournament.

Takes a lot out of you. Would say this is a massive blow when you consider the kick on and development we’re expecting in his 2nd season.

Would go as far as to say you now write off his second season too.
He came back with Malaria ffs! That can take it out of you.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

He also has a similar cieling to Mahrez for me i.e he won't ever be a starter for the elite
The only reason Mahrez isn't a starter for his 'elite' club is because they are a joke in terms of squad depth imo. Funny you mention it though, because it seems like he's just become a starter, think it's five in a row for City now.

I'd be gassed if Pepe became as good as Mahrez.

Reactions: A_G
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom