• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
We should be trying to phase him out. Out of possession he is basically a body just running around chasing shadows.

However, what bothers me most is Lacazette gets so much heat for not scoring, Pepe is being judged on his contribution to goals, Auba is analysed by his goals. Why does Özil get away with it?

He is a number 10 that doesn't shoot in modern football. He is so high up the pitch, yet will never come close to scoring. So one of our main offensive positions just won't contribute goals. How is that okay?

Oh wait he provides assists. No he doesn't! He isn't even doing that.

Not contributing goals is valid. But there is nobody behind him who contributes those either.

Phasing him out is also valid, but its clear he will be seeing out his contract, so we know how that's going to conclude. So our choices are one of a few things. Change formation to a 3 man midfield and no number 10, and see what we can do with our somewhat imbalanced midfield.

Directly replace him with Ceballos? He's real Madrids player as far as I'm concerned. If he can offer more, then great. This season though, is there even time?

Directly replace with willock? I don't think he's proven productive enough yet to fill that role. Maybe he will, and patience is fine, but hanging our hat on him likely doesn't coincide with competing with our direct rivals attacks either.

Replace him with transfer funds? Well you'd hope we can. Someone like a ziyech could work, but its really looking like we just don't have the funds isn't it. I'd love us to be in for players like ziyech or havertz, but i cannot see how it's even possible.

Until his contract runs out, I think Arteta will be looking to get us as far back up the table as possible with him as a central figure. I don't see that we have much choice.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think generally the Özil transfer was a disappointment. I can't lie, he did give us some very special moment. He was just a pleasure to watch at times especially as the central figure in the wengerball. But overall, I don't really think he has made a massive difference to us. Yeah, but we did win 3 fa cups and 3 CS, but any one that watched him will know that that he wasn't what we needed.

Like a poster above said, if we'd signed cesc in 2014, we'd probably would have prevented Chelsea from winning the league and we'd have probably won it ourselves.

All we can do now is hope he still has that fire and the desire to ball for us. Our priority this summer IMO after the CB is an Özil replacement. Ceballos is someone I'm hoping can step up or even ESR, but that would be too much expectations for a 19 year old.

Last edited:

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Love his work rate. Sliding tackles and winning defensive duels.

Too bad he overhit a lot of his through balls. But at least he gets into positions where he can be dangerous.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
People who rate Özil over Fabregas.

giphy.gif

darkgunner

He's finished and washed up, avoids shooting like he thinks his leg will shatter into pieces. His passing is also nowhere near top tier anymore.

I see a lot of his ultras on social media are now resorting to defending him by hyping his 1 yard passes in build up play and his pre-assists, when they used to slate players like Rosicky and Wilshere as overrated for doing the same things.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We still need a better playmaker because even mesut back being goodhe won't be able to preform like Grealish Maddison who are better at the moment

darkgunner

We still need a better playmaker because even mesut back being goodhe won't be able to preform like Grealish Maddison who are better at the moment

We should try to tap up Grealish so he can force a move to us for cheap in the summer once Villa are relegated. We could end up with a bargain if Villa have to deal with FFP problems as rumoured.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Was terrible on the ball.. **** game

Really?

Misplaced two, what should be considered easy for him, through balls, but other than that he was decent.

Difficult having to combine with 3 ballhogs in attack, whilst getting no support from midfield because Xhaka helps building up from the left, and Torreira does nothing going forward.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Really just isn't offering anything atm, he's working harder at least.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Think we need to close this chapter tbh. Need someone younger and more dynamic. Never expected him to mess up two easy passes like that.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Really?

Misplaced two, what should be considered easy for him, through balls, but other than that he was decent.

Difficult having to combine with 3 ballhogs in attack, whilst getting no support from midfield because Xhaka helps building up from the left, and Torreira does nothing going forward.

the weight of his pass was off most of the game really, he messed up what could have been a promising attack with what should have been an easy pass to make.. Had a chance to shoot straight away in the 2nd half he didn’t take either if I remember that situation right, not a big deal, but I want him to be more goal hungry. Overall he just couldn’t get into the game and when he was in dangerous positions he messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom