• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
and then made a nothing point when he called you out, wasnt your best moment, never noticed this other poster before, one to watch

Still it's not about me, I'm talking about Pepe being a disappointment. I don't think it's unfair to want some sort of impact from him this season, it's frustrating watching our record signing be ineffective out there.

I'd love to be proven wrong but we've had too many signing over the years that have made us worse rather than better, we were better off with Iwobi and Mkhitaryan.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I don't doubt his ability, but am concerned by his performance level. He is not looking like a record signing.

Gunner-Union

He’s too predictable always wanting to come in on his left and prem defenders know this already . He has blistering. Pace and can dribble but needs to learn to take a defender on on the outside and cross or shoot with his right that would make him a nightmare to mark. We also get the ball to him to slowly, you see him in space but we take 3-4 passes slowly to get it to him and he has 3 guys on him by then. Our transition is always so slow we need to change it up from time to time

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
I am so confident in Pepe that if he does not end the season with at least 10 PL goals and 7 assist i will leave this forum

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Sometimes it really does feel like most AM posters are just here to complain and be negative about anything.

If people don't see the massive changes in our overall play and especially the vast improvement of Pepe since Arteta came in, you just gotta be blind or don't wanna see it, plain simple.

I mean, he was pretty much the biggest threat in every game since Arteta has arrived. He was also providing 2-3 chances that should have been goals yesterday. Made some massive runs, was very very good defensively as well.

What the **** is going on ? :lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Still it's not about me, I'm talking about Pepe being a disappointment. I don't think it's unfair to want some sort of impact from him this season, it's frustrating watching our record signing be ineffective out there.
I assume you wanted him to perform well despite playing in a crap team?

Only person doing that is Aubamayang and that’s because he’s a world class goal scorer. Were you expecting Pepe to be at that kind of level?

You’ve let the price tag get to you. Yes he has to prove the price tag correct but he’s got the length of his contract to do that, not five months of our worst season since God knows when. There’s countless examples of players who had to adapt and didn’t look good doing it before going up a level.

Not sure why you always choose the cynical route.

scytheavatar

Established Member

Only person doing that is Aubamayang and that’s because he’s a world class goal scorer. Were you expecting Pepe to be at that kind of level?

Pepe is more expensive than Auba, so why is it unreasonable to expect him to be able to carry the team more than Auba can? Why is it unreasonable to expect Pepe to be world class too?

Pepe is 24 years old, he is not a 18 year old like Martinelli. The fact that an 18 year old is outshining him should be seen as something that is shameful for Pepe.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Pepe is more expensive than Auba, so why is it unreasonable to expect him to be able to carry the team more than Auba can? Why is it unreasonable to expect Pepe to be world class too?

Pepe is 24 years old, he is not a 18 year old like Martinelli. The fact that an 18 year old is outshining him should be seen as something that is shameful for Pepe.

Just plain wrong looking at the game yesterday.
The best offensive player on the pitch was Pepe, the worst unfortunately Özil and a close second Martinelli.

And don't even dare to make it seem like that I do not rate Martinelli as AM loves twisting words to fit an argument, the kid is going to go places, but he's got some bad games or games were just nothing really works.

Except for that one Saka cross, Pepe initiated all the real threat yesterday and Martinelli bottled all he got from Pepe.
If you look the impact Pepe has had on our attacking play since Arteta went with him, you gotta admit it's become our most important weapon. If the others make more of his assists and Pepe has a few goals, he's basically our most important player upfront.

We always complained about our inability to control a game, but Aubameyang isn't really doing that for us anyways as he's much more of a finisher than a RVP.

Last edited:

CJJ

Established Member
Auba had 1½ year left on his contract and were unsettled. Pepe had 3-4 years left and was settled.
Thats the reason Pepe cost more than Auba. Doesn't mean you should expect the same. Auba was easily a 100m man when we signed him, if he had 1 year extra on his contract.

Last edited:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

So because we paid more than Auba for him you now expect the price tag to give him powers and suddenly make him world class when he never has been?

You want a player who wasn't even world class before we bought him to suddenly become world class because your team paid a certain amount of money for him, an amount that was agreed in a meeting between business men in suits.

Damn, we need to sell Guendouzi and buy him back for 100M then. That should make him the world class CM we need by your logic? How ridiculous.

Transfer fees are influenced by a huge variety of things not just actual ability, I could probably list ten. You're not a raging idiot, come on. It's comments like this that just make one sound like an agenda merchant.

progman07

Established Member
Pepe needs a psychologist more than anything. (Although it's so easy to judge from the outside)

He makes a great run in a game which changes the tide of the play, then disappears again. I'm asking myself every single game, why doesn't a player who can put not one, but two free kicks into the top corner in one game, a player who can dribble past van Dijk, who can nutmeg basically anyone:

Why isn't he running at the defenses all the time? Why isn't he shooting all the time?

I mean that's what Alexis did so effectively, even though he was always hit and miss, but he tried running at defenses 10-15 times a game. Maybe 7-10 will fail, but the defenses will sit back, they will ask the wingers to track back, double up and stop pressing us so high as they usually do.

I'd contemplate playing Pepe as a no 10 purely based on his ability to keep the ball, beat 2-3 markers and get the ball out of danger.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Pepe needs a psychologist more than anything. (Although it's so easy to judge from the outside)

He makes a great run in a game which changes the tide of the play, then disappears again. I'm asking myself every single game, why doesn't a player who can put not one, but two free kicks into the top corner in one game, a player who can dribble past van Dijk, who can nutmeg basically anyone:

Why isn't he running at the defenses all the time? Why isn't he shooting all the time?

I mean that's what Alexis did so effectively, even though he was always hit and miss, but he tried running at defenses 10-15 times a game. Maybe 7-10 will fail, but the defenses will sit back, they will ask the wingers to track back, double up and stop pressing us so high as they usually do.

I'd contemplate playing Pepe as a no 10 purely based on his ability to keep the ball, beat 2-3 markers and get the ball out of danger.
Any post like this requires my standard response. God I miss Sanchez, that little warrior! When he was at his peak with us he was one heck of a player.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

You’ve let the price tag get to you. Yes he has to prove the price tag correct but he’s got the length of his contract to do that, not five months of our worst season since God knows when. There’s countless examples of players who had to adapt and didn’t look good doing it before going up a level.

Not sure why you always choose the cynical route.

So what should I expect from him?

Of course I choose the cynical route we're 10th ffs, if I was being negative and we were getting results then I'd understand but really I'm being the rational one if anything.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It's ok for people to be frustrated, if we are being honest...our transfers have been very up and down since we moved to the Emirates, but since summer 2015 they have been especially bad...Pepe is our big signing, so despite his criticisms being a bit unfair, that's life sometimes...people have to be allowed to vent.

Regardless how good a coach Mikel is, you are only really as good as your players...going into next season we have so many teams that are either richer/have better owners than us now, City/Liverpool/Chelsea/United/Sp**s/Leicester/Wolves...and we have been losing money at an alarming rate in the last few years, first time this season we aren't in the top ten richest teams I think...think Arsenal fans are right to be worried.

We have gone from a 1st/2nd place team, to a 3rd/4th place team, to a 5th/6th place team...are we now a "lets just finish in the top half of the table" team :lol:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

So what should I expect from him?

Of course I choose the cynical route we're 10th ffs, if I was being negative and we were getting results then I'd understand but really I'm being the rational one if anything.
I don't think you are (unlike some others in this thread) I'm just wondering what your expectations were/are if you expected him to come in and have such an effect on our team.

Think about wingers who can carry an attack. We're not talking about guys like Salah/Mane/Sterling....we're talking about guys like Neymar and Hazard, wingers who can actually carry an attack single handedly.

The question I have for you is did you really expect Pepe to be that good? What exactly were you expecting because our attack isn't good enough for anyone except the world's best to deliver right now.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Think it’s more than fair to say that his been a disappointment, it could change next season of course.

For the fee we paid you expect him to lift himself above the issues around the club, like Auba or even Leno.

I’ve been patient with him but at times he just looks like a lost boy on the field, unable to even control the ball or know what he wants to do with it.

Part of the problem is likely due to the fact we overpaid for him, as was accepted at the time, but it is becoming evident that he’s not a 70m player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom