• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
In our system we need a 10 who can press, has the speed to track, can shoot, can take up spaces between lines, dribble and pass.

Speed
Press
Track
Dribble
Between lines
Shoot
Pass

Pepe can do all of those things. You feel like having him in between the lines instead of Özil and buying someone like Traore to play on the right would make us stronger.
Yeah but for now im pthinking push Özil out wide (only because we have nobody else). He's not doing much anyway so might as well switch him and Pepe. Maybe it would help.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I'll be the first to criticise him if come the end of next season he's sitting on two years of mediocre performances. Yeah it's a shame he hasn't come in and ripped it up immediately but not many do (off the top of my head):

Salah 17/18, Kante 15/16, Costa 14/15, Aguero 11/12

Every other top class premier league player apart from the ones above have had a slower start to their career. That's the exception not the norm. Our rivals have been spending big for years, just because we finally spend big doesn't mean we have the divine right for the player to be an instant success.

For every Salah (who actually had a little PL experience) you have a Mane and van Dijk, for every Kante you have a Vardy and Mahrez etc. All of those players showcased the talent to succeed but they weren't able to convert it into top PL performances until they adapted to the league.

Pepe has the talent: he's fast, he's a 1v1 threat againsy anybody, he probably has the best shooting technique at our club, he can pass and he's an excellent set piece taker. He's shown enough talent that you allow him some time before you write him off. That's all.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He was good in the first half.

When we went down to 10 men, he should have come off before Özil.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
These games since Arteta took over are the bedding-in games that Emery denied him. He hasn't been great but he's getting games under his belt and I'm pleased Arteta is persisting. Its that or give up and Pepe is far too good to give up.

Token Yank

Always a threat, always draws a crowd. Just waiting for it to all connect. If Laca could have stayed onside that one play in the second half that goal would have been sex.

Pop Tart

Established Member
Thought he was a threat it is just the end product needs polishing. He can overthink things and passes way too late. Hopefully Arteta can help him.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
I don't have a problem with him settling in. Don't think he's a dud.

I do think he needs to slow the game down less. I also think he'd benefit from not having to always drop so deep to pick up the ball. Gives him too much to do when running at defenders.

WiscoGooner8

I don't have a problem with him settling in. Don't think he's a dud.

I do think he needs to slow the game down less. I also think he'd benefit from not having to always drop so deep to pick up the ball. Gives him too much to do when running at defenders.
I agree, I wish he would just get the ball and run at the guy, because when he has done that he can’t be stopped. It’s when he gets the ball, stops or slows down and then tries to beat someone that he struggles. He also takes too long to make the pass when instead he should pass early or cut in on the left and rip it. But he is getting the ball too early. When he makes the run deep, the pass is awful (Laca’s laughable attempt at a through ball).

he hasn’t been what we expected, but if he keeps getting games he will adapt and be great. You can see the player there, just needs to be more direct and have the killer instinct to let it rip.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I'll be the first to criticise him if come the end of next season he's sitting on two years of mediocre performances. Yeah it's a shame he hasn't come in and ripped it up immediately but not many do (off the top of my head):

Salah 17/18, Kante 15/16, Costa 14/15, Aguero 11/12

Every other top class premier league player apart from the ones above have had a slower start to their career. That's the exception not the norm. Our rivals have been spending big for years, just because we finally spend big doesn't mean we have the divine right for the player to be an instant success.

For every Salah (who actually had a little PL experience) you have a Mane and van Dijk, for every Kante you have a Vardy and Mahrez etc. All of those players showcased the talent to succeed but they weren't able to convert it into top PL performances until they adapted to the league.

Pepe has the talent: he's fast, he's a 1v1 threat againsy anybody, he probably has the best shooting technique at our club, he can pass and he's an excellent set piece taker. He's shown enough talent that you allow him some time before you write him off. That's all.

He's not far off exploding to be honest , he's just suffered from a shocking team structure for the first 6 months .

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Don’t know about you guys but I love Pepe. I have seen a lot of criticism of him slowing the tempo of the game but it’s what Hazard did regularly and it helped give his team a breather. Slows the tempo of the game to suit him but then a burst of acceleration and it’s peak for the opposition. My problem with him is his lack of penetrative runs in between full back and centre back. If he does this more often, even selfless runs, it will open far more space for others and provide him with more goal scoring opportunities. My other problem with him is his lack of “killer mentality”. Have you not realised whenever Pepe gets another player on a yellow card, he seems to be hesitant to run at that person. I’ve counted 5 occasions where he’s done this and it’s annoying. We could get a lot of red card in our favour if he just run at people more often.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Is it just me or are we ironically having a bunch of wingers with Martinelli, Pepe and Reiss that all kinda feel better, if they were to be played centrally :lol:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
A Theo Walcott out-and-out winger kinda player would do this team a world of good imo.

That being said, let's just first solve the CB and midfield problems first for once :)

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

He's not far off exploding to be honest , he's just suffered from a shocking team structure for the first 6 months .
Every time I try to mention that everybody except Auba and Martinelli (two players who just have that natural nose for goal) have struggled in our shocking team it gets ignored/called an excuse.

Yet we all agree that Emery destroyed half of our season. Baffling.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I agree, I wish he would just get the ball and run at the guy, because when he has done that he can’t be stopped. It’s when he gets the ball, stops or slows down and then tries to beat someone that he struggles. He also takes too long to make the pass when instead he should pass early or cut in on the left and rip it. But he is getting the ball too early. When he makes the run deep, the pass is awful (Laca’s laughable attempt at a through ball).

he hasn’t been what we expected, but if he keeps getting games he will adapt and be great. You can see the player there, just needs to be more direct and have the killer instinct to let it rip.
For some reason has has no one near him he can combine with. No overlapping RB, no AM dropping in to provide an option (what the **** is Özil doing?), etc.

It's as if we're saying to him, "Here are three opposition players surrounding you. Do something." Great tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom