• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Sydney-Gooner

pound for pound, Nasri was the most talented player to play for Arsenal since Henry.

He had a another couple of levels in him if he wanted it bad enough. I'd say he was more talented than Özil and about equal to Van Persie. Arshavin was another one who could have possibly gone down as a legend had we got him 3-4 years earlier.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The team will beat already crowned champions and in holiday mode Liverpool in May, preserving the legacy of their invincible Arsenal forefathers.
I wish lmao.

But yeah if we can’t beat then we can’t complain about them going invincible.

Already a solid argument for saying they deserve the ‘invincibles’ label more than our lot ever did. Providing they do go invincible...obviously. :lol:

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
When Wenger arrived, we were a storied club in the UK with no real international presence due to our lack of European cups. English clubs had no real style and the players were pretty laid back in terms of self care. Getting the Adams lot off the booze and getting them to take care of themselves, probably saved their lives and prolonged their careers. Our playing style and the guts to pick anyone not just English players was brave back than. Fitness training and the way we scouted was copied and improved upon by other clubs. He also rebuilt Colney and bought Henry with the Anelka sale and was instrumental in our move to Emirates. Some banks would only extend our loan if he was manager and he stayed despite interest from Madrid. He gave us a new identity which merged with the legacy of Graham and perfection was achieved in 2004. We self financed the move to Emirates and had the rotten luck of doing this as a global recession hit out of nowhere. We've been losing our best players since 1999 and until 2015 always made the CL albeit with little success. It's galling that our consistency increased the coefficient that our rivals now enjoy. Klopp came in to Liverpool with dedicated owners who backed a long term vision. They've backed him with £200m of external money. Jose apart from Porto can't win without spending. Him and Pep are the only managers to have spent over £1b each and it's easy when you can buy the best, your rivals targets and tap up their best players. Wenger is a legend. Similar to Federer who will be surpassed in time by Djokovic, but I know the player I will revere forever.
Don't compare that weak era trash to Wenger. Nadal & Djokovic both are far superior players.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
But did the Invicibles win the Champoin League, no? They could not advance to Semi-Final since 2001 to 2005, meaning they were not even in the list of Top 4 Europe.

And this current Liv reached CL Final in 2 consecutive year, won 1. Their ability is proved in the highest level of football.

The Invicibles is the greatest team in my heart, but to be fair, this Liverpool side would've not been light work at all.
You’re right, they would’ve been lighter work. We were competing in a totally different era. This era is full of *****, chokers, frauds and various other types of gutless schmocks. Money has removed the balls and spine of the best teams. That’s who Liverpool are beating right now.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I wish lmao.

But yeah if we can’t beat then we can’t complain about them going invincible.

Already a solid argument for saying they deserve the ‘invincibles’ label more than our lot ever did. Providing they do go invincible...obviously. :lol:

What do you mean by this, my main man?

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

What do you mean by this, my main man?
If they do go invincible it will be with a **** load more points than us and in a two year period where they had multiple 90+ point seasons and two CL finals.

I guess what I’m saying is that they deserve it. Nobody could begrudge them that label, they’ve been sensational for almost three years.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
If they do go invincible it will be with a **** load more points than us and in a two year period where they had multiple 90+ point seasons and two CL finals.

I guess what I’m saying is that they deserve it. Nobody could begrudge them that label, they’ve been sensational for almost three years.

Meh...we where sensational for about 8 years, and we didn't have refs helping us constantly, plus football was just better back in the late 90s and early 00s anyway...plus the handsomeness factor on both teams was night and day!

Our striker...

thierry-henry_kopia2.jpeg

Their striker...

hqdefault.jpg

Our best looking winger...

56e35048eb66697798ce287ef812a450.jpg

Their best looking winger...

o-ARSENAL-RAINBOW-LACES-570.jpg

Last edited:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Meh...we where sensational for about 8 years, and we didn't have refs helping us constantly, plus football was just better back in the late 90s and early 00s anyway...plus the handsomeness factor on both teams was night and day!

Our striker...

Their striker...

hqdefault.jpg

;)
Christ.

Sydney-Gooner

Our striker...

Their striker...

hqdefault.jpg

;)

:facepalm:

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

Have to echo this, at the moment Liverpool are all wins and 1 draw this season, the invincibles we had drew a lot of games and failed to impress in Europe.

If they keep them draws low enough they out do ours easily.

Manberg

Predator
I am concerned about how we go about transfer business going forward. I’d like there to be a system where Arteta can name the players he wants and Edu/Raul or whoever go out and get them. Instead, what I think is happening is that Edu and Raul will only deal with people within their own networks of agents and former acquaintances, so we may not get Arteta’s first choice.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I am concerned about how we go about transfer business going forward. I’d like there to be a system where Arteta can name the players he wants and Edu/Raul or whoever go out and get them. Instead, what I think is happening is that Edu and Raul will only deal with people within their own networks of agents and former acquaintances, so we may not get Arteta’s first choice.

I mean, I'm absolutely fine with this.

progman07

Established Member
Fair enough on Saint-Etienne but I'd say there's a lot of Bundesliga watchers on here, and Leipzig are top of the table at the moment. I don't think it's too far-fetched to believe that more than 1 in 500 people watch a few Leipzig games a season especially when they're doing so well. :lol:
Even if people watch German league, I just don't expect people to focus on scouting defenders. It's not like when you see attackers play nice passes, score good goals and generally look threatening - a defenders does his job if you don't notice him.

Skills like good positioning, tactical awareness and strong mentality are key to top defenders, and I think it's a really tough job to know which defender will be ready for the PL attackers, judging from the Bundesliga (no offense meant).

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
1. Liverpool's invincibles is way better than ours. Only Henry, Vieria, Gilberto Silva and Campbell are definite starters imo. You got the likes of Cole, Pires and Bergkamp who may challenge but it's dependent heavily on tactical make up and formation.
2. Booing your own players can actually work and give that player the needed kick up the bum. See Xhaka, Eboue and Ramsey. It should not be frowned upon.
3. Maitland-Niles is a better midfielder than Torreira.
4. ESR will not make it at Arsenal. He's good but has no standout qualities to be a starter here.
5. Holding, Chambers and Mustafi should leave by next year. They are all mid table quality or worse.
6. Mustafi is a better footballer than Sokratis.
7. The Xhaka-Torreira pivot is mid table at best. There needs to be an improvement sooner rather than later.
8. Shifting Xhaka to a left-sided CB/LB during buildup play has helped us out a lot defensively but I fear it has made us limited in out attack. Hence why our chance creation is so low at times. We are effectively attacking in a back 3 more than we think.
9. If Auba goes we should cash in on Lacazette too.
10. Our best midfield 3 in terms of profiles is Willock-Guendouzi-AMM.
11. Arteta is making the most of the current players he has now. A student of Pep and La Masia, I'm sure Arteta will move to a 4-3-3 when the time comes, meaning one of or possibly both of Xhaka and Torreria will be made redundant.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

I mean, I'm absolutely fine with this.

When I first read this back then, my whole house of cards came crashing down that I've build up for Edu.

Worrying stuff with him so far. Hope he's actually a good talent spotter. At least he seems to get along very well with Arteta.

benjamin86

Established Member
1. Liverpool's invincibles is way better than ours. Only Henry, Vieria, Gilberto Silva and Campbell are definite starters imo. You got the likes of Cole, Pires and Bergkamp who may challenge but it's dependent heavily on tactical make up and formation.
2. Booing your own players can actually work and give that player the needed kick up the bum. See Xhaka, Eboue and Ramsey. It should not be frowned upon.
3. Maitland-Niles is a better midfielder than Torreira.
4. ESR will not make it at Arsenal. He's good but has no standout qualities to be a starter here.
5. Holding, Chambers and Mustafi should leave by next year. They are all mid table quality or worse.
6. Mustafi is a better footballer than Sokratis.
7. The Xhaka-Torreira pivot is mid table at best. There needs to be an improvement sooner rather than later.
8. Shifting Xhaka to a left-sided CB/LB during buildup play has helped us out a lot defensively but I fear it has made us limited in out attack. Hence why our chance creation is so low at times. We are effectively attacking in a back 3 more than we think.
9. If Auba goes we should cash in on Lacazette too.
10. Our best midfield 3 in terms of profiles is Willock-Guendouzi-AMM.
11. Arteta is making the most of the current players he has now. A student of Pep and La Masia, I'm sure Arteta will move to a 4-3-3 when the time comes, meaning one of or possibly both of Xhaka and Torreria will be made redundant.
4-4-2 it's probably mostly AFC players, 4-3-3 it's probably mostly Liverpool players. It's also difficult to compare teams 16 years apart due to changes in the rules and interpretations thereof. Transplant either team across the 16 year divide and i think AFC would look slow and lumbering today while Liverpool would probably get bulied back in 03-04.

boyinneedofhumor

The ambidextrous magician?

Better than Hleb in dribbling and multi positions.
Could curl a free kick/corner like Pires or diagonal long pass like Xhaka, depending which foot one prefers. Even Arsène wasn't certain initially which was his favoured foot.
Ball control, vision and the weight of the split pass was up there with the likes of Bergkamp, Fabregas and Özil.
Height and tenacity are similar to Alexis Sanchez.
Cheeky and confident penalty taking like Henry. Back heel goal, long range shot, etc. One rarely nicked the ball off him.
Always smiling, always cheerful.

In one package lies outstanding attributes reminiscent of several ex-players.

avalonhse

The ambidextrous magician?

Better than Hleb in dribbling and multi positions.
Could curl a free kick/corner like Pires or diagonal long pass like Xhaka, depending which foot one prefers. Even Arsène wasn't certain initially which was his favoured foot.
Ball control, vision and the weight of the split pass was up there with the likes of Bergkamp, Fabregas and Özil.
Height and tenacity are similar to Alexis Sanchez.
Cheeky and confident penalty taking like Henry. Back heel goal, long range shot, etc. One rarely nicked the ball off him.
Always smiling, always cheerful.

In one package lies outstanding attributes reminiscent of several ex-players.
And excellent none. In the end of the day, fabregas, silva, persie achieved world class level with less atrributes.

Top Bottom