• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Think the important is not the amount of wins, but how we play each and every game. Our structure was much better from the first game of Arteta's reign. Soon we saw patterns of play and formation switches.

Think we have been unlucky with some goals and the refs being against us, but our overall play is much, much better than in a long time. Shots against us are way down. Today we faced 7 shots and 2 on target. With stats like that you can win 1-0 or 2-1. Compare that to when we faced 15-30 shots a game and teams were cutting us open time after time.

It is still early, but at least things are going in the right direction. Sure we could have won more, but at least we look much more solid and composed. I for one am very, very happy!

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I was not a fan of the Arteta appointment but it seems he is just what we needed.

Cautious cause Emery started really well, especially against the big clubs - Ole did too. Arteta has an air of authority and assurance though compared to the two I just mentioned.

Emery and Ole remind me of supply teachers who got terrorised in school.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Players talking about Arteta bringing the “Arsenal way back”, but it should be the “Wenger way”.

There is no such thing as the “Arsenal way” unless it’s boring football and finishing mid table.

Still remember most of you being chuffed to get away from the “Arsenal way” when Emery was here.

pacstud

I was not a fan of the Arteta appointment but it seems he is just what we needed.

Cautious cause Emery started really well, especially against the big clubs - Ole did too. Arteta has an air of authority and assurance though compared to the two I just mentioned.

Emery and Ole remind me of supply teachers who got terrorised in school.
For me the big difference is energy and organization. Under Emery we were getting results but as so many observed, we weren't playing with consistent energy nor organization.

Possession, less shots conceded, offensive players tracking back, organized back lines...

Arteta was the right hire. And to think so many panicked and asked for Mou. What fools!

GDeep™

League is very weak
Under Emery we were getting results
Only at the start of his reign when he still had the Wenger team. Midway through last season and until he was sacked there were no results.

Missed out on the CL last year and killed this season too. Not only his fault though, as the club signed rubbish in the summer.

Leaves Arsenal in a position where I think top 4 is not possible for another 3-5 years.

Sydney-Gooner

Players talking about Arteta bringing the “Arsenal way back”, but it should be the “Wenger way”.

There is no such thing as the “Arsenal way” unless it’s boring football and finishing mid table.

Still remember most of you being chuffed to get away from the “Arsenal way” when Emery was here.

Been done to death already but I'll bite. We won the league 7 and 5 years before Wenger came and some Cups under Graham. Possibly could have won the European Cup in '90 had English teams been allowed to play European football if it wasn't for Heysel when the European Cup was actually the "Champions" League and not the competition it is now. We were a successful club long before Wenger came.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

MeanHealthyGadwall-size_restricted.gif

:rolleyes:

arsenal1989_2922154k.jpg

champions1991.jpg

1415186195373_wps_34_Arsenal_manager_George_Gr.jpg

5006F90200000578-0-image-a-39_1536675557070.jpg

Second most league titles in the country pre Wenger (love Arsène, and he added to our great history) but I will keep posting this response, if you keep downplaying our history, G ;)

goonergaz

Been done to death already but I'll bite. We won the league 7 and 5 years before Wenger came and some Cups under Graham. Possibly could have won the European Cup in '90 had English teams been allowed to play European football if it wasn't for Heysel when the European Cup was actually the "Champions" League and not the competition it is now. We were a successful club long before Wenger came.
MeanHealthyGadwall-size_restricted.gif

:rolleyes:

arsenal1989_2922154k.jpg

champions1991.jpg

1415186195373_wps_34_Arsenal_manager_George_Gr.jpg

5006F90200000578-0-image-a-39_1536675557070.jpg

Second most league titles in the country pre Wenger (love Arsène, and he added to our great history) but I will keep posting this response, if you keep downplaying our history, G ;)

I'm not a fan of gdeeps negativity, but he has a point...Arsenal were renowned for playing boring football before Wenger and when we talk about 'playing the Arsenal way' it' is actually the Wenger way.

Sydney-Gooner

I'm not a fan of gdeeps negativity, but he has a point...Arsenal were renowned for playing boring football before Wenger and when we talk about 'playing the Arsenal way' it' is actually the Wenger way.

I was born in '93 so I only the Wenger years but from what I've heard from older Gooners we only really started to play **** football when we lost 3-1 at home to Benfica in the European Cup. Prior to that we were capable of playing some decent stuff with Rocky, Merson, Smith, Thomas and later Limpar. Obviously no where near as good as Wenger's teams. The whole boring boring Arsenal only caught on because our defence was virtually impenetrable under Graham and all we ever needed was one goal.

goonergaz

I was born in '93 so I only the Wenger years but from what I've heard from older Gooners we only really started to play **** football when we lost 3-1 at home to Benfica in the European Cup. Prior to that we were capable of playing some decent stuff with Rocky, Merson, Smith, Thomas and later Limpar. Obviously no where near as good as Wenger's teams. The whole boring boring Arsenal only caught on because our defence was virtually impenetrable under Graham and all we ever needed was one goal.

I started watching when Graham took over - and even then I recall jokes like 'boring as a 1-0 win at Highbury' and even TV shows making jokes from 'boring Arsenal'.

Maybe it did start around then - but whilst some of the football wasn't too bad (I loved Rocky, Merse even Marwood back in the day), it was nothing compared to Wengerball...and that's essentially what fans want us to play...I don't want to watch a well-drilled defensive line where the arms go up - I want to see attacking flowing football.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member

Ok, boomer.

Manberg

Predator
Emeryball was a shambles. A year and a half in and I still had no idea what he's doing. I don't think he did either. Defending deep and narrow yet still conceding many shots, Torreira as a #10, over-reliance on individuals in attack, not pressing... it was worse than mid-table football. Even when we did win I often felt like we were 2nd best, apart from a handful of games.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I started watching when Graham took over - and even then I recall jokes like 'boring as a 1-0 win at Highbury' and even TV shows making jokes from 'boring Arsenal'.

Maybe it did start around then - but whilst some of the football wasn't too bad (I loved Rocky, Merse even Marwood back in the day), it was nothing compared to Wengerball...and that's essentially what fans want us to play...I don't want to watch a well-drilled defensive line where the arms go up - I want to see attacking flowing football.
I'm greedy and want the Graham defence with the Wenger attack. I'd love not to have my heart in my mouth when we're defending and that Saka goal was Wengerball lite. I hope Arteta can deliver something close to both.

Keplaz

People that wanted Mourinho should have a separate shaming thread.

The same people would probably send their loved ones to Gulag just to climb up the party ladder. Can't trust them.
Those were less happy times. If Xhaka can be forgiven surely even those who wanted Mourinho can still be redeemed...

Keplaz

Emeryball was a shambles. A year and a half in and I still had no idea what he's doing. I don't think he did either. Defending deep and narrow yet still conceding many shots, Torreira as a #10, over-reliance on individuals in attack, not pressing... it was worse than mid-table football. Even when we did win I often felt like we were 2nd best, apart from a handful of games.
I genuinely don't think there ever was any "Emeryball". He reacted to other teams so much, the players were getting confused. Playing Torreira as a 10 was a complete disgrace. There was a time when I thought his half time tinkering was tactical genius. Turns out he didn't have a clue what his best team was.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Just decided that unless we win the EL and get back to the CL next season, I’m done.

Otherwise it’s just a big struggle tbh, feels like we’re an Everton or Villa now.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Just decided that unless we win the EL and get back to the CL next season, I’m done.

Otherwise it’s just a big struggle tbh, feels like we’re an Everton or Villa now.

Top Bottom