• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pablo Mari

Status
Not open for further replies.

I
My guess is that when Mustafi got injured yesterday (clearly Mustafi is never leaving :mad: ) Arsenal went back to Flamengo and said "Wait a minute, hold on, maybe we will take an obligation to buy him after all." And maybe leaked that they had agreed to a fee for Matviyanko to try to keep Flamengo from trying to hike the price for Mari too much.

At least Tim Vickery sure seems to like Pablo Mari:
https://talksport.com/football/661790/arsenal-transfer-target-pablo-mari-man-city-mistake/

"And he had plenty of positives to share about the Spaniard, who he says single-handedly transformed the way Flamengo play, as they stormed to the Brazilian league and Copa Libertadores double and reached the final of the Club World Cup against Liverpool.

Vickery describes the 26-year-old as an unglamorous centre-back, who has great organisation and positioning and has the bonus of being left-footed.

He also claims Manchester City made a huge error by selling him, and Arteta is wise to want to bring him back to the Premier League with Arsenal.

Speaking on talkSPORT’s Trans Euro Express, the South American expert said: “I’ve been droning on about him to anyone who will listen for the past few months, because I think Manchester City missed a beat with this one.

“He was unknown, he came in very cold and was thrown in at the deep end, but he sorted it out for them absolutely magnificently.

“For me, in that Flamingo side that coasted its way to the Brazilian championship, won the South American title and gave Liverpool a game in the Club World Cup final, I think he was the most important player.

“He’s by no way the most glamorous, but that front four with all the goals being scored by Gabriel Barbosa and Bruno Henrique, it wouldn’t have worked had the team not been able to defend with a high line – and Pablo Mari was the man behind all of that, he was superb.

“Now, this is the chance of a lifetime for him at Arsenal.

“He won’t have the same advantage that he had in Brazil where he was the only centre-back who knew who the play a high line and he organised that and passed out of defence very well.

He hasn’t got express pace, but his positioning is good enough to get him out of jail.

Arteta knows the player, knows what he’s getting and I think it could be a good bit of business for Arsenal.

I don’t think he’s going to be the sensation that he has been in Brazil but I think he can do a competent role there.

A left-footed centre-back is great as well for passing out from the back, it just opens out the pitch so much more.”
Even then, I think I prefer the Ukranian guy from the clips I've watched of the two. He is younger too so I'd definitely sign the Ukranian.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I know nothing about the guy but I'm not concerned unduly by his lack of top flight football or his age. He was at City with Kompany, Stones, Laporte and Otamendi ahead of him, tough group of players to displace.

According to Wikipedia and Transfermarkt he was born 31st August 1993 which makes him 26 and 5 months. It also means that he was playing regularly for the best team in Brazil, possibly South America when he was 25.

The majortity of central defenders don't reach their peak until mid twenties, Maguire and VVD didn't play for 'top clubs' until they were slightly older than Mari for example.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Tim Vickery confirming we have signed him now too.

Good, hopefully this means he benches Luiz and takes the LCB starting role.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Good news, lets see how he does. If nothing else at least it gives us an alternative to Mustafi for the rest of the season.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Glad we've got someone in. He's an interesting signing. Hidden gem? Hope so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom