• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Gabby should always play on the left, Pepe should always play on the right, and only one of Auba/Laca should start.
Disagree, while both Auba and Martinelli will struggle on the left, I think Auba will still hit better numbers in terms of goals. There is nothing Auba offers more than Martinelli as CF, I acutally expect Martinelli to score more if he plays there all the time.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I knew it. I knew it.

1 game and the heel turn is on :lol:
I don't think it's incorrect to say the kid isn't a great dribbler though, do you?

Love his physical and mental qualities, but ask him to force the issue when squaring up the full back and you get laughable "attempts" like yesterday's.

Even for his class goal against Chelsea, he miskicked it past Kante. A bit Walcott-y with his dribbling.

Look, he's out of position on the wing. I don't care if that's where he wants to play - he will not become world class in that position.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Ffs, this place is in shambles - he had one bad game when the whole attacking front didn't klick at all as a unit, notably against a side that knows how to destroy game plans, not just done so with us.

But most importanty, the kids been playing RW for most of the time ffs:
Martinelli as CF >>>> Nelli as LW >>> Nelli as RW
It was Arteta who had a bad game, not Martinelli. Even bums at local pubs were saying this wont work.
We need both Martinelli and Pepe on fire if we're going to win EL, and killing confidence of players with his experiments will hurt us much more than losing 2 points again Burnley.
Both players and Arteta needs to up their level because this is a complete poverty on both sides.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

18 year old not brilliant in every game, what waste of space he is.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Why is a loan such a bad idea?

Serious question; do loans ever actually help? Like what were some success stories of players going out on loan in the last 20 years? I think Ramsey had a decent loan at one point but that was all about getting some fitness after an injury no?

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Serious question; do loans ever actually help? Like what were some success stories of players going out on loan in the last 20 years? I think Ramsey had a decent loan at one point but that was all about getting some fitness after an injury no?

I don’t know, it probably does help often but at Arsenal I’m not sure. I’d be surprised if Gabby kept up this form and people will think about loaning him.

@MutableEarth knows more.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
It was Arteta who had a bad game, not Martinelli. Even bums at local pubs were saying this wont work.
We need both Martinelli and Pepe on fire if we're going to win EL, and killing confidence of players with his experiments will hurt us much more than losing 2 points again Burnley.
Both players and Arteta needs to up their level because this is a complete poverty on both sides.

I agree with all of that apart from Martinelli. He's been great all season, a small dip in one game is no cause for concern. Who did play well yesterday? I would say Saka & Mustafi! Completely agree about Arteta & Pepe though, although dropping Pepe was an error because he needs a lift and has been ok recently. Well, far better than Laca anyway!

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

No what I mean is a loan wouldn't even be the end of the world, let's see how he finishes the season first. No matter how good he looks at the moment he's still very young, we need to protect these guys.

He just won't be a starting striker next year. I'd like to see what he can do in another league as the main man.
You have to be kidding! Loaning him out is the last thing we should do. I hate to break this to you but we are not exactly drowning in players that score right now.

Loaning him out... Stay off the drugs kids! It’s not good for you!

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Why is a loan such a bad idea?
He doesn’t need to be playing every game. Will learn just as much if not more by training with better players, learning Arteta’s way.

Plus there’s the social element. Why risk destabilising his personal life? He’s already moved to a different country why make him go through that again, even if it’s just to a different part of England?

JoaoFelix

Being consistent at his age is obviously not easy. He has been very good this season, perhaps our best player with Auba. People are quick to turn on him and these are the same people who say he is a generation talent. I say we give him time, he’s gonna be at some Point our best player. Off topic ; the only generation players right now are Mbappe, TAA, Haaland

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Loan idea is based on us spending in the summer to bring in a few attackers and Martinelli being at the stage where he’s good enough to start most weeks for a club.

My general feeling is always that an 18-21 year old should not sit on the bench if he can get regular minutes elsewhere. Why sit on the bench behind potentially 2 senior strikers if you can play elsewhere?

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Yep it’s clear to me based on replies, a loan is the best option.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't think it's incorrect to say the kid isn't a great dribbler though, do you?

Love his physical and mental qualities, but ask him to force the issue when squaring up the full back and you get laughable "attempts" like yesterday's.

Even for his class goal against Chelsea, he miskicked it past Kante. A bit Walcott-y with his dribbling.

Look, he's out of position on the wing. I don't care if that's where he wants to play - he will not become world class in that position.

What I'd argue is that there is a massive difference in dribbling on the right compared to the left. Some players are comfortable on both, some players are better cutting in on their dominant leg with the option of going wide. Some just like going on the outside.

Martinelli is more comfortable on the left. He can cut in on his right foot and go on the outside to cross the ball along the byline. On the right he can only to on the outside. He can't cut in on his left. Just like Saka would struggle to cut in on his right. It makes his game predictable and he isn't strong enough to ride challenges on the outside. In England if you take it down the outside you will get taken out. Look at Pepe vs West ham. Even Saka yesterday. Clash of knees but the full back is always going to be desperate and dive in.

Martinelli isn't a world class dribble, but neither is Suarez and I think his control at speed and ability to nut meg is good enough for a centre forward and an inverter winger.

One thing I believe is that if Martinelli was playing centre forward on the first 10 mins, he would have stood more chance getting on the end of a cross than Auba or Laca.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Loan idea is based on us spending in the summer to bring in a few attackers and Martinelli being at the stage where he’s good enough to start most weeks for a club.

My general feeling is always that an 18-21 year old should not sit on the bench if he can get regular minutes elsewhere. Why sit on the bench behind potentially 2 senior strikers if you can play elsewhere?

Think people are attacking the idea because you and I suggested it. The peasants want the kings throne.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Should probably be looking at loaning Pepe and Lacazette too, get their confidence back ready for the 21/22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom