• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

progman07

Established Member
People blaming other players to protect pepe's average debut season to say it gently.
I just don't see him becoming anything close to the money we spent on him, I hope he proves me wrong but his game doesn’t give me much hope
I think Pepe does have a part of the blame, mostly in respect that he is too passive. He should be forcing his luck much more, fighting for every ball, trying to shoot more often, etc. Look at Martinelli or Saka, those guys would kill to be playing, I don't see it with Pepe to be honest.

However, Özil's decline, and Xhaka (our only player who can progress the ball forward properly) playing almost as a left back doesn't help Pepe at all. I struggle to understand why people expect him to make wonders when our right back usually doesn't overlap, Özil is too lethargic to join the attacks and do what 25 year-old Özil used to do, and Lacazette is just not in form at all. Our most successful wingers since I follow Arsenal always had a special connection with the players close to them on the pitch.
Pires: Cole, Henry
Ljungberg: Bergkamp
Nasri: Sagna, Cesc
Rosicky: Clichy, Cesc, van Persie
Walcott: Sagna, Cesc, van Persie
Sanchez: Özil, Cazorla

Players like Cesc, Bergkamp and our full-backs in the past (Cole, Clichy, Sagna were especially good at this) just made everyone play better by always providing combinations. And as a winger, you are really dependant on these combiations.

Last edited:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

interesting word choice there
Some people are going to come out saying "who cares what this bum thinks" but this gives good insight into the difficulties he faced (and poorly dealt with).

Even though Pepe looks talented and I desperately want him to succeed here, I have had an underlying concern about his attitude and work ethic. He reminds me of Özil. Very lethargic, his body language doesnt exactly fill you with excitement.

He needs to make massive changes to become a top player, and I think most of it is in his mind. It looks like he needs to come back down to earth a little and just get his head down, put in some extra hours/work in the gym and on the training pitch.

Moah

All the things he has said actually make it easier to understand why Pepe is struggling.

He came from a different league to play under someone who didn't want him. But what was clear from the beginning is that he needed time to adapt and even Emery who didn't want him admits that.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Unai wanted Perisic, Nkunku and Partey, but Raul bought Bebe, Ceballos and Torreira and set up him to fail.

Feel for El Maestro.

scytheavatar

Established Member
All the things he has said actually make it easier to understand why Pepe is struggling.

He came from a different league to play under someone who didn't want him. But what was clear from the beginning is that he needed time to adapt and even Emery who didn't want him admits that.

Pepe struggled because he isn't as good as what his price tag suggests...... why didn't Martinelli need as much time as Pepe to adapt? Because Martinelli is the better, more talented player with more in his game than being a trick merchant......

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

It’s all well and good saying he needs time but he’s been outperformed by Ismailia Sarr who’s also come from Ligue 1 for far less money, has played much less minutes, is three years younger and plays for relegation fodder.

There’s been glimmers of what he can do but we paid 72M for him. He has to give more than what he’s shown so far.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It’s all well and good saying he needs time but he’s been outperformed by Ismailia Sarr who’s also come from Ligue 1 for far less money, has played much less minutes, is three years younger and plays for relegation fodder.

There’s been glimmers of what he can do but we paid 72M for him. He has to give more than what he’s shown so far.
All those variables you mentioned dont come at a proportional rate. Pepe could look dissapointing but then explode for example, while Sarr could tail off or not grow as much as we'd think right now. Not saying thats going to be the case, just saying that theres so many different reasons why Pepe hasnt quite done it yet. He has all the talent, but needs to change his attitude. I feel like hes being quite stubborn toward really just giving himself and giving everything. Its gonna be the difference between him flopping or really elevating himself.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Pepe struggled because he isn't as good as what his price tag suggests...... why didn't Martinelli need as much time as Pepe to adapt? Because Martinelli is the better, more talented player with more in his game than being a trick merchant......
So you're saying the quicker you put performances in, the better you are? Wow get Mladen Petric and Michu on the phone, lets get them signed up.

Some players start great then totally fail at teams, while others take a long time. With Pepe its an atittude/mentality thing holding him back tbh.

Manberg

Predator
I don’t think Arteta wants him either. Pepe’s not suited to how Arteta wants the team to play, but he’s what we have (thanks to Raul) so Arteta’s not left with much of a choice. He has to get the best out of him.

Moah

You also think Willock is a better passer/player than Ceballos so I can't argue with you.

Moah

nicolas_pepe-vs-ismaila-sarr.jpg

I see no substantial difference between the two. But it's clear to see that Pepe has a better trim now than on this picture.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don’t think Arteta wants him either. Pepe’s not suited to how Arteta wants the team to play, but he’s what we have (thanks to Raul) so Arteta’s not left with much of a choice. He has to get the best out of him.

Its a bit too early to see how Arteta wants to play. The only definite is that he wants a 2-3-5 when we attack. Whether we go from a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 is the issue.

However, I will tell you now that there is nobody in our squad who can currently do the job Pepe is doing. He holds that entire right flank by himself with no overlap. He is constantly beating players to create space and the reason we overload down the left is because teams do not leave Pepe 1v1.

Last game Pepe didn't start and Burnley let Özil have the ball because they knew he could do nothing with it. If Pepe was playing he would have had 2 men on him kicking him throughout the game.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

nicolas_pepe-vs-ismaila-sarr.jpg

I see no substantial difference between the two. But it's clear to see that Pepe has a better trim now than on this picture.

I mean he’s played way more minutes than Sarr, he hasn’t been miles better than Pepe but he’s a lot younger, playing for a dreadful team and isn’t on set pieces.

When you consider the almost 50M price difference there’s no doubt which was the better buy.

Manberg

Predator
Its a bit too early to see how Arteta wants to play. The only definite is that he wants a 2-3-5 when we attack. Whether we go from a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 is the issue.

However, I will tell you now that there is nobody in our squad who can currently do the job Pepe is doing. He holds that entire right flank by himself with no overlap. He is constantly beating players to create space and the reason we overload down the left is because teams do not leave Pepe 1v1.

Last game Pepe didn't start and Burnley let Özil have the ball because they knew he could do nothing with it. If Pepe was playing he would have had 2 men on him kicking him throughout the game.

Arteta wants his wide players to underlap and cut inside, not to beat the opposing fullback and cross.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Arteta wants his wide players to underlap and cut inside, not to beat the opposing fullback and cross.

Arteta want his left winger to cut inside and be a striker allowing the left back to overlap as a winger with Xhaka moving to the left. On the right side Özil is in the right inside channel.

Pepe doesn't tuck in. He hugs the touchline and the full back doesnt overlap.

Manberg

Predator
Arteta want his left winger to cut inside and be a striker allowing the left back to overlap as a winger with Xhaka moving to the left. On the right side Özil is in the right inside channel.

Pepe doesn't tuck in. He hugs the touchline and the full back doesnt overlap.

It seems that way because we have strikers on the left side and Pepe on the right. Arteta's trying to accomodate Pepe but ideally, Arteta wants a different kind of player on the right.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It seems that way because we have strikers on the left side and Pepe on the right. Arteta's trying to accomodate Pepe but ideally, Arteta wants a different kind of player on the right.

How is he trying to accommodate Pepe? Arteta is accommodating everyone but Pepe.

Xhaka is playing in his preferred position and drops into left back so he can't be pressed.

Özil is playing as a 10 with complete freedom even though he has no offensive or defensive output.

Auba has the freedom to move inside off the flank and Bellerin is being tucked in to form an extra midfielder to protect our slow midfielders on the counter.

Pepe is on the right hand side, with no help and is so far away from goal he has to beat 2 players to even play a simple pass. If there is anyone we are no accommodating it is Pepe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom