• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodbather

Established Member

In the current climate if he joins a team like that then you literally cross him off from joining Arsenal. This isnt 2010, these sides are making a lot of money and aren't forced to sell. Look at the prices going round. Maguire 80, West ham asking for 60 for Diop, Richarlison 100m being rejected, Zaha having a 60-70m price tag, Watford wanting like 40m+ for Doucoure...

If we want a talented player we have to sign him now. Any established or super talented player in the PL is basically out of our price range, unless we make it our marquee signing of the window.

Agreed 100%, this is precisely the reason why I shake my head when I read posts shooting down cheaper targets from foreign leagues because they are not PL-proven. Being PL proven is important, but surely anyone who keeps up with the finances of the PL will know that your chances of finding talent at affordable prices is greater elsewhere.

I get that people are thinking of Liverpool and their signings of van Dijk, Mané, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Robertson et al. when they advocate such an approach, but the thing is, the fans on AM aren't the only people who are seeing that angle, clubs in the league are also well aware and will use that as a point to drive up the prices. Not to mention, the clubs are becoming richer with each passing year and the financial divide between the PL and others leagues continues to expand.

The only way of signing established star, borderline star or high potential prospects from the PL without making them marquee signings is to poach the players of relegated clubs. Notably, that was something Liverpool pursued in the cases of Wijnaldum and Robertson, and something we could possibly pursue when it comes to potential signings like Nathan Aké, Jack Grealish, Ismaila Sarr or Abdoulaye Doucouré.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
A-M agree that @GDeep™ is a drama queen.

1376199648303.gif

Reactions: A_G

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
For me its LW or CM. We need to invest in both but we can probably only go for one big signing due to our finances, even if we do sell Xhaka, Laca & Auba. I think a goal scoring LW would be a great addition but so would a dominant DM. I think it depends what comes up, if Gueye replaces Xhaka then we spend big on LW. For me I want Saka to stay at LB, him & Tierney would be that spot covered for years. We need to unearth a Bellerin replacement unless Soares does well.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Xhaka and Özil's positions are the biggest priorities for me, so voted CM. The actual allocation of the budget depends on the targets though. If a CM like Houssem Aouar is obtainable, for example, by all means break the bank for him. But if he isn't, I'd favor spending big on Jack Grealish as a LW and possibly settle for a cheaper creative CM to replace Özil, like Saïd Benrahma for example. Same goes for CB and Xhaka's position, I wouldn't mind a Xhaka replacement like Boubakary Soumaré being our most expensive purchase, but I also wouldn't mind a bargain move at the same position like Pape Gueye. There's no clear cut budget allocation answer for me, because we have multiple positions of need in the starting eleven.

My (current) shortlist has alternatives at descending potential prices:

LCB Nathan Aké/Gabriel Magalhães/Malang Sarr
CM Boubakary Soumaré/Ibrahim Sangaré/Denis Zakaria/Pape Gueye
AM Houssem Aouar/Hakim Ziyech/Saïd Benrahma
LW Jack Grealish
CF Odsonne Edouard

It's a matter of combinations.

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Agreed 100%, this is precisely the reason why I shake my head when I read posts shooting down cheaper targets from foreign leagues because they are not PL-proven. Being PL proven is important, but surely anyone who keeps up with the finances of the PL will know that your chances of finding talent at affordable prices is greater elsewhere.

I get that people are thinking of Liverpool and their signings of van Dijk, Mané, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Robertson et al. when they advocate such an approach, but the thing is, the fans on AM aren't the only people who are seeing that angle, clubs in the league are also well aware and will use that as a point to drive up the prices. Not to mention, the clubs are becoming richer with each passing year and the financial divide between the PL and others leagues continues to expand.

The only way of signing established star, borderline star or high potential prospects from the PL without making them marquee signings is to poach the players of relegated clubs. Notably, that was something Liverpool pursued in the cases of Wijnaldum and Robertson, and something we could possibly pursue when it comes to potential signings like Nathan Aké, Jack Grealish, Ismaila Sarr or Abdoulaye Doucouré.
Yes I agree with everything you said. In terms of proven PL players that are semi realistic I want Grealish and Ake. I doubt we would be able to get both though.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

I was ridicouled for wanting Wijnaldum...

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I was ridicouled for wanting Wijnaldum...
Not bashing you, but honestly I thought Wijnaldum was rather mediocre for quite a while (and outright sheit in the national team). Last season and this season he has really stepped up massively. I wonder what triggered it. Probably confidence and proper instructions in a well defined system.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
If Auba goes you have to spend your money on a CF

Yeah we need a CM but we'll sink without a good CF

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
They selling because of his contract situation or has he not kicked on since signing for them? I remember him being highly rated at Lyon
Injuries in the last two years have seen him fall behind in the pecking order, apparently. They want to sell him to make room for Havertz or someone else.

I've been banging this drum for a while now. Just a few examples I can think of off the top of my head,

Maddison £20m from Norwich to Leicester, now valued at £80m+
Ndidi £17m from Genk to Leicester, now valued at £60m+
Dembele £20m from Celtic to Lyon, now valued at £60m+

We could have spent £57m and now have 3 players worth £200m+ Spotting these type of players just before they are going to explode is the route to getting back to the top in my opinion.
I agree. I am interested to know whether Arsenal fans would put Guen or Torreira in that category. As in can we consider them as players that have exploded? How much can they fetch if sold?

Gunner-Union

Think we have the right man in charge to carry us forward but we need quite a few players tbh. I just hope with sales we have enough cash to get what we need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom