• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
If we could make our money back or even a profit must be tempting. He has done fine first season but just like Pepe do you spend the money again? A nice get of jail free card.

Shame Chelsea seem to be the ones Chillwell set on.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Any truth in that we are still interested in Upamecano during the summer window? What about Ndidi from Leicester a few weeks back?

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Ornstein linking us to Blind. Honestly, he's one of the underrated pillars of the Ajax team that almost reached the CL final and imo he's one of the smartest centre backs in the world. Obviously has physical limitations, but pairing him with a manmarking physical beast (i.e. Saliba) could be a very good formula for Arteta-ball (build-up from the back). Left-footed and very good on the ball, too.

Would be gutted if he left Ajax, though.

Unrelated, with the Arteta link to City, could we pick up anyone on the cheap in the summer firesale (hopefully)? Perhaps Foden or Mahrez (can he play on the left?).

Malky

Established Member
Ornstein linking us to Blind. Honestly, he's one of the underrated pillars of the Ajax team that almost reached the CL final and imo he's one of the smartest centre backs in the world. Obviously has physical limitations, but pairing him with a manmarking physical beast (i.e. Saliba) could be a very good formula for Arteta-ball (build-up from the back). Left-footed and very good on the ball, too.

Unrelated, with the Arteta link to City, could we pick up anyone on the cheap in the summer firesale (hopefully)? Perhaps Foden or Mahrez (can he play on the left?).
IF there was a firesale of their star players, Laporte would be the first one on my list to bring here!

goonerfamily

I think Foden would be a great pick-up. Unfortunately, I would imagine he will get more game time following the European ban though so if anything I think it makes us less likely to get him.

Goonger

Not sure there will be a fire sale in relation to the European ban, (they'll probably get that overturned in court). There will be a natural turnover over the next couple of years anyway, David Silva, Sane, perhaps Otamendi or Stones this summer, Fernandihno, Aguero next. I doubt we'll be in a position to pick up any of them.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Daley Blind makes no sense for us. He never really impressed as a Premier League cb. As a DM he'd be good, but not convinced he'd give us anything that Xhaka currently isn't. No thank you.

The City ban doesn't help us as we can not offer champions league football either and pay less. Our likelihood of picking up a Stones or Foden has probably dropped now.

sykesy69

We signing Cebolinha this summer or nah??

Pretty sure he's a cheaper viable option at LW than most mentioned recently.

I want him instead of Pepe, but I don't see it happening now.
In kept saying that Chikwezee was the better signing and folks here thought I was mad. Anyways since we already got Pepe I think we should work on him and make him better at the few things he is not good at, notably knowing when to release the ball and when to shoot and we will have ourselves a very good player.
I hope Mikel will also encourage Bellerin to overlap when Pepe has the ball so that he provides another dimension to attack and also to deter the opposition from double-teaming Pepe, although I sort of understand him wanting the extra man in midfield just in case the opposition counter. I still think that its a risk worth taking as our wing backs were the whole reason why we were so good in our unbeaten run with Emery.

sykesy69

In kept saying that Chikwezee was the better signing and folks here thought I was mad. Anyways since we already got Pepe I think we should work on him and make him better at the few things he is not good at, notably knowing when to release the ball and when to shoot and we will have ourselves a very good player.
I hope Mikel will also encourage Bellerin to overlap when Pepe has the ball so that he provides another dimension to attack and also to deter the opposition from double-teaming Pepe, although I sort of understand him wanting the extra man in midfield just in case the opposition counter. I still think that its a risk worth taking as our wing backs were the whole reason why we were so good in our unbeaten run with Emery.
The indiscipline of our overlapping fullbacks are also the reason we've been on the back of some crushing defeats under Wenger and the defence under Emery looking equally as disfucntional at times as under Wenger (conversely it did help our attack).

The amount of times I'd see both fullbacks high up the pitch and us getting countered on, thinking why are we not telling these fullbacks to at least cover a bit when the ball is on the opposite side of the pitch.

I think it's a balancing act that still needs tweaking, but I'm happier to see some more defensive stability in the team structure.

The indiscipline of our overlapping fullbacks are also the reason we've been on the back of some crushing defeats under Wenger and the defence under Emery looking equally as disfucntional at times as under Wenger (conversely it did help our attack).

The amount of times I'd see both fullbacks high up the pitch and us getting countered on, thinking why are we not telling these fullbacks to at least cover a bit when the ball is on the opposite side of the pitch.

I think it's a balancing act that still needs tweaking, but I'm happier to see some more defensive stability in the team structure.
I agree. Liverpool does what you just said. I don't know, but it sounds as if Arteta si laying more attacking emphasis on the left-wing when the right-wing can just be as deadly with Pepe- Bellerin playing the Salah-Arnold role for us. Needs to be rectified IMO.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Right now with our personnel it makes sense imo. Bellerin not back to his best, yet (hopefully) and Sake has insane attacking qualities for an LB, while Auba simply isn't a winger. Playing with a proper LB-LW duo would allow a more alternating attacking playstyle. Would be less predictable and allow us to quickly change sides and overload the opposition. I'm sure Arteta will try to implement that when he has the right personnel available.

sykesy69

I agree. Liverpool does what you just said. I don't know, but it sounds as if Arteta si laying more attacking emphasis on the left-wing when the right-wing can just be as deadly with Pepe- Bellerin playing the Salah-Arnold role for us. Needs to be rectified IMO.
I see this too and think that we need the ability to create overloads on boths side.

If you take the Burnley game as an example, when Saka went off we lost all attacking impetus as we had no overload on the left and couldn't attack efficiently down the right at all.

Seems to stifle Pepe's effectiveness down the right too. A lot seems to be asked of him attacking in isolation, with numbers to beat.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I see this too and think that we need the ability to create overloads on boths side.

If you take the Burnley game as an example, when Saka went off we lost all attacking impetus as we had no overload on the left and couldn't attack efficiently down the right at all.

Seems to stifle Pepe's effectiveness down the right too. A lot seems to be asked of him attacking in isolation, with numbers to beat.

We can't overload both sides as we have nobody in midfield that can run. It isn't even an exaggeration.

Arteta is playing Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos and Özil as our midfielders. None of them can run large distances and chase down opponents. Almiron running through our entire midfield would happen every game if we didn't set up in a way where we had Bellerin tucked in for recovery pace.

Even with Torreira and Özil unavailable Arteta will still go with Guendouzi, Ceballos and Xhaka. There is no athleticism with any combination of those players. That is the major issue with our squad. All our athleticism is on the exterior of the team. We need to rectify that in the summer.

This is why I am so surprised that AMN after being talked up by Arteta hasn't even been given a look in as if he played in midfield we could easily push Bellerin and Pepe forward as he could cover for both of them down the right.

sykesy69

We can't overload both sides as we have nobody in midfield that can run. It isn't even an exaggeration.

Arteta is playing Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos and Özil as our midfielders. None of them can run large distances and chase down opponents. Almiron running through our entire midfield would happen every game if we didn't set up in a way where we had Bellerin tucked in for recovery pace.

Even with Torreira and Özil unavailable Arteta will still go with Guendouzi, Ceballos and Xhaka. There is no athleticism with any combination of those players. That is the major issue with our squad. All our athleticism is on the exterior of the team. We need to rectify that in the summer.

This is why I am so surprised that AMN after being talked up by Arteta hasn't even been given a look in as if he played in midfield we could easily push Bellerin and Pepe forward as he could cover for both of them down the right.
You don't create overloads by pushing more people up the pitch. You create overloads by inducing the defense to one side of the pitch and having somebody open for the switch on the other side.

We tend to only draw teams to our right hand side, opening up the pitch for the LB to be released into space. I just feel like we need some variety in our attacking patterns, as they may become a tad predictable.

I agree the profile of our midfield needs a drastic change, which is why we setup as we do in an attempt to strike the best balance for what he has at his disposal. Just hoping we see a midfield in the vision of Arteta come mid-Aug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom