• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
So since Arteta joined we conceded 7 goals in 8 league games we kept 2 clean sheet scored 12 the lack of goals was bit worrying after today game but hopefully after today big win we'll kick on. It's hard to blame Mikel alot of these games players weren't clinical enough.

Arteta has had 8 league games at 12 for and 7 against, 2w-6d-1l. Emery in his last 9 games was 11 for and 16 against, 1w-4d-4l. I can only expect results to continue to improve.

Last edited:

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Arteta has had 9 games at 12 for and 7 against, 2w-6d-1l. Emery in his last 9 games was 11 for and 16 against, 1w-4d-4l. I can only expect results to continue to improve.

Arteta has managed 10 games. He's won 4 drawn 5 lost 1.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Thought we were poor defensively in that we lacked any sort of press. It was far to easy for Newcastle to pass the ball in our half and on another day that game could have been 2-2. Bright side is that we found our attacking rhythm.
Agree. The pressing we saw in the first few matches has faded again. Both Luiz and Mustafi don't stay close to opposition attackers either, makes it easy to get a dangerous shot or pass in. Alibi defending I call it for lack of a better term. That's why I think Luiz is a bad defender (good guy, though).
Arteta has had 8 league games at 12 for and 7 against, 2w-6d-1l. Emery in his last 9 games was 11 for and 16 against, 1w-4d-4l. I can only expect results to continue to improve.
Arteta's results are also a bit deceiving. Some of those matches he deserved to win as he got the team to perform quite positively. We're just a bit sterile in attack still.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Upfront we still look lost a little bit but hopefully the change in midfield will suit them with Ceballos playing from deep and moving the game.

Arteta has done a great job tbf.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
here's the Guardian's summary:

In defence of Arteta
It says a lot about the reign of Unai Emery that, until Sunday, it had been almost 11 months since Arsenal kept successive clean sheets in the league. Burnley and Newcastle are not the sternest tests of a side’s defence – and Arsenal rode their luck in both instances – but there is no doubt David Luiz and co have begun to look notably more assured. Fourteen years after the departure of the club’s last top-class centre-back in Sol Campbell, could this be the beginnings of a new, level-headed Arsenal backline? Mikel Arteta’s first 11 games in charge have seen his side concede eight goals; the equivalent figure from Emery’s final 11 games was 23. Goals at the other end have declined, too, by about a third, but that’s a small price to pay if it lessens the embarrassing clownishness at the back. Arteta was recruited because of his affiliation with thrilling possession football. His best work so far has been to revive the old spirit of “boring, boring Arsenal”. Alex Hess

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

In defence of Arteta
It says a lot about the reign of Unai Emery that, until Sunday, it had been almost 11 months since Arsenal kept successive clean sheets in the league. Burnley and Newcastle are not the sternest tests of a side’s defence – and Arsenal rode their luck in both instances – but there is no doubt David Luiz and co have begun to look notably more assured. Fourteen years after the departure of the club’s last top-class centre-back in Sol Campbell, could this be the beginnings of a new, level-headed Arsenal backline? Mikel Arteta’s first 11 games in charge have seen his side concede eight goals; the equivalent figure from Emery’s final 11 games was 23. Goals at the other end have declined, too, by about a third, but that’s a small price to pay if it lessens the embarrassing clownishness at the back. Arteta was recruited because of his affiliation with thrilling possession football. His best work so far has been to revive the old spirit of “boring, boring Arsenal”. Alex Hess

I like that this article is giving Arteta some praise, but it annoys me when journalists don't give other defenders we have had their due.

I agree that Sol was the last top class centre back we had, but it kind of makes it sound that everyone from 2006 to now, has been crap for us and that's just lazy journalism.

Toure was as important to us going unbeaten as Sol was, that's how a good partnership works...in 02/03 we somehow didn't retain the league due to not being good enough from a defensive point of view, didn't have a good enough partner for Sol (Keown was getting too old to start every game and Cygan just wasn't good enough to be anything more than a back up in a top team) we actually conceded over 40 goals in the league that season...in 03-04 with Sol-Kolo, we only let in half of that...not to mention Kolo's performances during our 05-06 Champions League run, were some of the best centre back performances I have seen at this club, and Campbell was injured for most of that.

Then we had Kos-Per, which was outstanding together for a few years, 3 FA Cups is nothing to turn away from, which is way more than Sp**s highly praised backline has won...actually Wigan and Swansea's backline in 2013 have had more success than Toby-Jan, and those teams eventually got relegated!

Arsène signed more quality defenders than just Sol, it annoys me when journalists overlook that.

Ashybashy86

In defence of Arteta
If we're being honest, we were extremely lucky to have kept a clean sheet on Sunday. However, our defensive structure has markedly improved.

Ashybashy86

Upfront we still look lost a little bit but hopefully the change in midfield will suit them with Ceballos playing from deep and moving the game.

Arteta has done a great job tbf.
It seemed the confidence was not there, despite having home advantage. I was becoming increasingly frustrated, but the second half was brilliant, and the Arsenal I hope to see a lot more of.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I like Mikels idea on picking players who are trying hard in training & deserve a spot with their efforts doesn't seem to matter on their reputation & experience. Guendouzi & AMN both got completely left out of the 18, I wonder whether that will make think about that.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Passmap from yesterday's game

EQ_KZIVXkAAMlO6

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Xhaka comes out well there
The pivot in general does. If Cebellaos wasn't substituted he probably would have come out even better. We also had multiple players with 90%+ pass accuracy.

It's certainly encouraging to have a second midfield pivot to rely on aside from Xhaka/Torreira. At least until summer.

DUFFMAN

Crybaby
Why has our press game and intensity fades since the first few games?

Worrying as I thought the players were fully behind his methods.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Keeping clean sheets two games in a row is a nice change to how we played previously. Newcastle could easily have scored at least one when they hit the upright. Neither Özil nor Ceballos covered themselves in glory during that sequence of play. First Özil couldn't hold the long ball from Leno coming his way, but simply let the Newcastle player have his ways, then Ceballos couldn't control the high ball from the Newcastle player. But despite that sequence and one just before that we looked quite solid as we have for a while now. Again not conceding that many shots (only two on target), 22-12 in total.

Overall things look like they are going in the right direction. Players are getting healthy and with a bit softer run of games hopefully we can start stringing some wins together.

Top Bottom