• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Don’t get why we have to sell him this summer really.

Let him go on a free, he’ll be 32 and at the end of his peak anyway. We probably knew when we bought him we wouldn’t be selling him on for any decent money.

I agree but if we were offered £50m this summer can we afford to turn it down? Also what if we hold him to his contract and he sulks like Alexis?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I agree but if we were offered £50m this summer can we afford to turn it down? Also what if we hold him to his contract and he sulks like Alexis?

Just don’t know how many 20 goal a year strikers we could find out there for that money.

His contract is loaded up with goal and appearance bonuses. He’d be leaving a lot of money on the table if he phoned it in.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Just don’t know how many 20 goal a year strikers we could find out there for that money.

His contract is loaded up with goal and appearance bonuses. He’d be leaving a lot of money on the table if he phoned it in.

As I said, I agree we should keep him for another year. I'm just pointing out saying it and doing it are 2 different things. If the money was spent on improving our midfield I think Martinelli & Nketiah would replace Auba's goals. We would also be able to rotate rather than trying to play them both like Auba & Laca. Nketiah was unlucky on Sun, he gets into the positions but I think nerves and the occasion got the better of him. He certainly ran his ass off!

Lacazette is badly out of sorts, but Aubameyang and Martinelli have been scoring. My point us that our attacking options aren't a huge concern at the moment, but by getting rid of our two hitters, we could be making it a problem!

I'm more concerned about our dysfunctional midfield. Don't get me wrong, I'd take a punt on one of Dembele or Eduard, but not both at the expense of Laca and Aubameyang and to push one of Martinelli or Pepe down the pecking order.
It doesn't necessarily push Martinelli and Pepe below as the latter plays in the wing and the former should at least continue playing there too in the meantime. However, I'd be more inclined to selling Laca and buying Eduard. With that, we would have one senior striker and three ready to take over from him in Nketiah, Eduard and Martinelli.
I think Martinelli developing his game on the left-wing ala TH14 and Suarez, could highly improve his game when he finally gets to his desired striking position.

Also, I reckon we could still get a lot for a 33-year-old Auba if he chooses to go to China for a much bigger pay-day.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Glad its not up to me what happens with Auba, I genuinely dont know what the better option is.

The only ways selling Auba ends up being a good idea is if Pepe, Martinelli, Laca or Eddie step up, maybe all 4 or we find a replacement who explodes.

Basically we need someone to carry the weight (goals) from losing Auba, I do wonder if we would be better as a team if we sold Auba and got a true LW but then he should be playing up top anyway so if we did get a LW he would still have a starting place.

I think we should be selling Lacazette first, use Auba as the main man with Eddie/Martinelli as back up and get a LW.

Goonger

Im not sure Alexis really sulked in a big way. I just think his form was already dropping, & he never really regained it, even now.

I agree with you with regards being able to afford to knock back £50M. Most thought at the time that it would be worth turning down the £60M from Man City for Sanchez in the hope that he would fire us to the Champions League places, even if he left in a free, & that turned into a bit of a disaster.

Im not sure we can afford to let another major player leave for nothing. It also sends out the wrong message as a club.

The other complication is that Aubameyang & Lacazette are so intrinsically linked now, it's hard to imagine selling 1 without it affecting the morale of the other 1.

Id honestly be tempted to do a hard reset & sell both if Auba doesn't sign.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We really have to figure out how to keep Auba if we can. He’s been consistently one of the better strikers in Europe for many seasons. We’re not Barca losing Neymar with Messi and Suarez still around(though I think Neymar’s loss still hurt the team). I don’t know if any of our other strikers is quite ready to become a 20 goal plus striker next season. He’s really kept us afloat this season too.

zilfy

If he gets golden boot for two years running he will go for plenty.

I know hes getting older but hes clearly not slowing down or losing his touch. He will be top draw for another 3 or 4 years yet I think

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Elite goal scorer. We are going to have to replace him and outside us winning the EL I can't see him sticking around. It depends who is interested in the summer of course because he certainly earns a lot of money here.

We have to sell if he won't extend ultimately though.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I agree with you with regards being able to afford to knock back £50M.
I doubt that the club can get 50M out of Auba if Barcelona is his only destination. Raul Sanllehi and Huss Fahmy does not seem good at negotiating.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Good luck trying to keep Auba away with Barca and PSG both looking for strikers. Probably Madrid too if they fail with their Haaland pursuit.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I'd sell Lacazette regardless of what happens to PEA this summer, but I really hope we can extend PEA's contract with one year.

Hell, I'd even give him a small raise if it convinces him to stay until the end of next season. Think it would be worth it for the longterm transformation of the team even if it means losing out on €50m this summer. Don't see how we can replace his goals if we can't bag a top striker for a non-outrageous fee (Martinez/Jovic/Dembele) alongside fixing other key deficiencies in our squad.

Problem is, I don't see him staying without CL and I don't see us getting CL this year, neither through Europa or the league. So the choice will be out of our hands. PEA will force a move in that case I believe, and I can't blame him. Guy deserves some silverware.

goldengod

Assuming, Auba wants to leave and won't sign a new deal, I'd sell Aubameyang but keep Lacazette. Here are just a few reasons:

1. Past experiences - we've had too many people go with 6 months to go or on a free. There's no guarantee that Aubameyang will be happy to stick around for another 12 months and put up the same kind of performances. He could be another Sanchez in the waiting.
2. We need the cash - another year outside the CL, and possibly even the EL. We need the money to reinvest into our squad - sure maybe the gamble to keep Auba pays off and he gets us back into the CL next year; but personally I see a guaranteed £45-50m as a better strategy.
3. If Auba leaves we'd need to sign a new striker/winger who will take time to adapt. People rarely hit the ground running. Lacazette at least gives us options if a new guy takes time to settle.
4. Letting Auba and Lacazette leave in the same year would be madness and be asking a lot for our players/new signings to fill a massive gap given how crucial they've been for us.
5. With Auba, if you keep him for a year, you are basically kicking the can down the road with him. We'll need to replace him eventually and forcing him to stay a year will just potentially lengthen our transition period where we rebuild. I'd rather sell him now, assemble a squad over the summer that represents the 'new arsenal' going forward, and that hope one year later we are dealing with being a signing or two away from being challengers again.

Balboa

It is so difficult to sign a striker to come in and score goals in the premier league. Many of the goalscorers in the league were academy players or bought many years ago (Kane, Rashford, Vardy, Aguero, Abraham, Calvert-Lewin) or they are wide forwards like Mane, Salah, Sterling, Richarlison, Martial.

Aubameyang is one of the main ones to be signed as a striker and come in and score a lot of goals recently.

Overall though, Auba is not going to last forever. I think there is a case for making money on him and Laca, selling and reinvesting in the squad. There are no easy options but at some point Arsenal will need to find another striker and more goals in their team. They have Pepe, Martinelli and Nketiah to provide some depth. They might as well start now. They need to sign the next Richarlison or Mane or Salah

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom