• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Eddie Nketiah: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This.

Just being able to score goals while still transition his general play to seniors levels is very encouraging. There is a lot of things Eddie can do and is not doing yet at this level! So hopefully he can find confidence in doing these things and he will win a lot more people over!
I think he needs to know when to drop in and when to make his run - quite a few occasions where he didn't time it right. He's also a decent dribbler but we've not seen too much of it just yet, I expect to see that become a feature once he has more 90 min games and more confidence under his belt to do it.

Something he must learn aswell is making the ball stick. Too often he looks for the pass back into midfield and it's been anticipated a few times - sometimes just hold on for a couple more seconds then release. I don't think his link play is what necessarily needs improving, it's his ability to hold the ball up for at least a few seconds. There was a game vs West Ham U23s a couple seasons ago (the whole match is on youtube) where he had an almost perfect all-round CF performance, an indicator that the gameplay is there, but just need more time for all those things to translate to first team level.

On the contrary to a number of posters, I believe there IS something special about Eddie - his ability to score goals at any level and his will to win. He's faced competition the entire time he's been at Arsenal (from Akpom, Mavididi and Malen to Auba, Laca and now Martinelli), and still managed to find his way into Arsenal's first team and SCORING GOALS - with two dangerous CL calibre marksmen ahead of him, as well as a burgeoning wonderkid who shares the same mentality as him. Every time, he's been doubted, downplayed, chastised; he's come back with more goals and more determination.

I believe he will continue to do that in an Arsenal shirt.

kenshinSG

From what I have seen of him so far, he has a nose for goals. And that's very important for a striker. You just can't coach this to any player. His overall play like hold up and running to channels are still not good but he is still young and just experiencing the league. Doubt Laca or Giroud or Firmino were even much better when they were at this age. These will only come with hard work and experience. I also don't feel that he can become a world class striker that Real or Barca will come for, but if he stays grounded and accepts that he is a squad player who can get 10 to 15 goals yearly, why not? He won't be a Henry or RVP or Auba, but we need a Wiltord / Giroud / Kanu

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Inzaghi is still considered as one of the best Italian CF and he basically had 5% of skill Nketiah has, but he was in the right place at the right time far too often I guess.
The cross from Saka was perfect but it would be just another cross you would forget 20 seconds later if we had Lacazete there instead of Eddie

:lol::lol::lol:

How embarrassing.

The rest might be true, but is that not a criticism of Lacazette and not a praise of Nketiah?

"he scores tap ins, unlike our other striker" - is this really good enough?

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

What a horrible take. That was Eddie's first 90' PL game. 2nd start because he ha Aubameyang and Lacazette Infront of him. Saka may be 18 but he's been given a lot of chances this season due to our left back situation . He's gathered some consistency and I can remember some criticism of him at around December when he wasn't contributing offebsicely and suffered from some defensive laps. The kid has scored 2 goals in his last 3 starts . Other aspects develop as he plays more. He wasn't just a poacher at u23 level as people seem to think. He has really good all round play but of course at a higher level it won't show immediately. Arteta said Nketiah impressed him in the way he can find space in the box no matter who crowded it is. If he scores goals he's still doing his job. I don't think even Messi and Ronaldo were complete players at the age of 20. They had tools that were unique and they relied on them to get games as they developed other aspects of their game

Lucky I don't give a monkeys what you think, really. Imagine thinking you get to tell people that their subjective opinion is objectively wrong :lol::lol:

>comparing Nketiah to Messi and Ronaldo

:lol::lol:

>other member comparing him to Inzaghi

:lol::lol:

We need to get a grip in here. Lads average as **** right now and hasn't shown very much at all, let alone to be compared to legends of the game. This is some absurdity.

He's got a couple of goals, credit to him because goalscoring is definitely a skill, but he's shown very little else yet. Perhaps he can improve, perhaps he can't. Maybe this is all we'll get and he'll get sold in the summer. Who knows. I'm just judging him on what I can see right now, and I'm not that impressed.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
On the contrary to a number of posters, I believe there IS something special about Eddie - his ability to score goals at any level and his will to win.
I think his best quality is popping up in the right places; he has a good instinct and reminds me of Andy Cole in that sense. Whether he can make use of that with a great chance conversion rate at the highest level will be the making or breaking of him. He's not tall/physical, not exceptionally quick or an exceptional dribbler, even if he's effective as a package. Andy Cole wasn't particularly great at anything apart from having instinct and finishing ability. We have to hope he ends up like that.

Afro Mugo

I think he needs to know when to drop in and when to make his run - quite a few occasions where he didn't time it right. He's also a decent dribbler but we've not seen too much of it just yet, I expect to see that become a feature once he has more 90 min games and more confidence under his belt to do it.

Something he must learn aswell is making the ball stick. Too often he looks for the pass back into midfield and it's been anticipated a few times - sometimes just hold on for a couple more seconds then release. I don't think his link play is what necessarily needs improving, it's his ability to hold the ball up for at least a few seconds. There was a game vs West Ham U23s a couple seasons ago (the whole match is on youtube) where he had an almost perfect all-round CF performance, an indicator that the gameplay is there, but just need more time for all those things to translate to first team level.

On the contrary to a number of posters, I believe there IS something special about Eddie - his ability to score goals at any level and his will to win. He's faced competition the entire time he's been at Arsenal (from Akpom, Mavididi and Malen to Auba, Laca and now Martinelli), and still managed to find his way into Arsenal's first team and SCORING GOALS - with two dangerous CL calibre marksmen ahead of him, as well as a burgeoning wonderkid who shares the same mentality as him. Every time, he's been doubted, downplayed, chastised; he's come back with more goals and more determination.

I believe he will continue to do that in an Arsenal shirt.
I still don't get why Eddie's criticized for being a poacher and not having other aspects of his game as developed. Players break into the first team using the unique traits they're best at and develop the rest gradually as long as the basics are there. Saka has relied on his insane crossing ability and his dribbling , Martinelli on his pace and movement. Iwobi ability to hold the ball and link up play. Wilshere dribbling close control and passing. Fabregas vision and passing. For Eddie it is his goalscoring ability which many players don't have. He shouldn't be expected to be peak Benzema at the age of 20 whereas Benzema himself at that age was still developing his game while constantly being rotated with Higuain.

Afro Mugo

I think his best quality is popping up in the right places; he has a good instinct and reminds me of Andy Cole in that sense. Whether he can make use of that with a great chance conversion rate at the highest level will be the making or breaking of him. He's not tall/physical, not exceptionally quick or an exceptional dribbler, even if he's effective as a package. Andy Cole wasn't particularly great at anything apart from having instinct and finishing ability. We have to hope he ends up like that.
Weirdly enough I think if he doesn't get injury issues he'll surprise many at some aspects of his game. He's no Martinelli/Walcott but he's actually really fast. In the Toulon tournament he played LW and I can't remember which country it was but the RB really struggled with Eddie's pace . I think his debut also against Norwich he gave a glimpse of that. He's also got decent dribbling ability for a pure 9 inside the box in short spaces. He's often compared with Chicharito and Defoe because we often only see his goals due to poor youth coverage but I would say his game is closer to Lacazette with pace or (dare I say) Falcao obviously it'll take a lot for him to be as good.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Motson just said it's the first time we've had two players under 21 combine for a goal since 2008 when denilson set up Lord.

Hmmm, not sure about that stat at all.

I'm sure Martinelli set up Saka for his goal against Bournemouth in the Cup, I'm also pretty sure Saka set up Martinelli against Sheffield United too off the top of my head.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
We'll see, his goal today was 99% an elite cross from Saka and he was just in the right place at the right time.

Obviously positioning is a skill and its better to score the tap-in than to miss it, but let's be real here. That was a world class cross and virtually every striker in the league scores that chance.

He also missed a literal open goal in his last game.

I don't want to be harsh to the lad but he's miles behind the likes of Saka, Martinelli and he should be ahead.

I agree on Saka and Martinelli being ahead of him developmentally as they seem to have better decision making. I think you are being very harsh on his contribution to the goal (aside from putting it in) as it contained great movement and a deft finish. Yes it was a great ball from Saka, but you see those missed a lot.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

I agree on Saka and Martinelli being ahead of him developmentally as they seem to have better decision making. I think you are being very harsh on his contribution to the goal (aside from putting it in) as it contained great movement and a deft finish. Yes it was a great ball from Saka, but you see those missed a lot.

At this level missing that chance would be criminal. Besides, I already gave him credit for the goal, goalscoring is a skill that you can't really teach so fair play to him. However, I already mentioned this previously.

My issues with him are the lack of virtually any other special quality.

We've got people saying he's got 20 times as much skill as Inzaghi FFS. Get a grip!

Andy Cole was absolutely lightning and a ruthless finisher, too. I don't see the first quality in Nketiah but he could prove to have the latter. Time will tell.

Symbia

From what I have seen of him so far, he has a nose for goals. And that's very important for a striker. You just can't coach this to any player. His overall play like hold up and running to channels are still not good but he is still young and just experiencing the league. Doubt Laca or Giroud or Firmino were even much better when they were at this age. These will only come with hard work and experience. I also don't feel that he can become a world class striker that Real or Barca will come for, but if he stays grounded and accepts that he is a squad player who can get 10 to 15 goals yearly, why not? He won't be a Henry or RVP or Auba, but we need a Wiltord / Giroud / Kanu
You only know Kanu post heart surgery so no need arguing about him in this context.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He's got a couple of goals, credit to him because goalscoring is definitely a skill, but he's shown very little else yet. Perhaps he can improve, perhaps he can't. Maybe this is all we'll get and he'll get sold in the summer. Who knows. I'm just judging him on what I can see right now, and I'm not that impressed.
This is a fair take tbh, who knows what Eddies future will hold. We churn out loads of youngers so I tend to not put much stock in them.

I don’t think people are comparing him to inzaghi saying he’s levels though, I think they are just saying small poacher like strikers can thrive at top level even if in a bit part role.

I will be honest, I haven’t seen what Eddie has done so far to displace Lacazette (I know most of you hate him) but I hope Eddie does well. I like him.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Worked absolutely tirelessly. So glad he got his goal, not an easy finish either btw, hit the crossbar too.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Both Kanu and Wiltord were underrated I feel.

Kanu's first twelve months here, he was scoring buckets of goals, had to change to his game slightly when Henry found his feet though...one of the most skilful players ever at this club.

While I loved Sylvain, could play well in various positions and be a goal threat in any of those positions...great character in the dressing room too I imagine.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
On the contrary to a number of posters, I believe there IS something special about Eddie - his ability to score goals at any level and his will to win..

Yes definitely and also encouraging how often he finds himself in good positions even if it doesn't result in a goal or even a shot. Hardest and most important thing for a striker is to score, he's starting to show he can deliver on that front even in senior football. I'm confident his allround game is much better than he's showing so far too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom