• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

lufere7

Player:Martinelli
More likely than not ending with 20 G+A in all competitions, pretty tidy output all things considered, arriving to the PL in one of our most unstable periods ever and not being a clear starter.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Quietly starting to get respectable numbers.. End product is the most important part so great sign.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Normally you’ll expect a big second season from these types, and I do from Pepe, has it in him, just worried about the African Nations being a big enough distraction and hinderance to really knock him off his development.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He is building up the figures quietly. He could and will contribute more to the 90 mins, but he is regualrly involved in our biggest chances and it must be said that he does take more responsibility as time goes by.

What I'd like to see from him is drifting more centrally and helping us keep possession in difficult moments in the games - though it depends on Arteta of course, whether Pepe needs to stay out wide or not.

No no no. What are we paying Özil 300k a week for? Pépé already cuts inside too early and too often. Doing what you suggested makes him much easier to play against.

The space and threat is in wide areas, as you can see from the number of goals we are scoring down the left. Our right side is nowhere near as productive yet.

Henry did an excellent piece a couple years back on Monday night football about Pep. There’s a reason Barca haven’t come close to winning the CL since they stopped using high pressing wide forwards, and every team that’s won it since, has.

The reason we struggle to hold possession is because our forwards are poor when pressed and our midfield is technically very average / physically weak.

Those issues need addressing entirely separately

Make

Player:Ødegaard
I'm really glad with Pepe, he has improve so well in the latest matches, I think that Pepe in the next year could be a huge player on the RW

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
I think he's already getting to a level now where to be called a flop is straight up incorrect. He's productive, he's learning, he's great at occupying several defenders at a time. His shooting and crossing technique is really good.

We'd all like to see him run at defenders and beat his man higher up, as well as getting a few more goals, but surely we can all agree he's now giving us more reasons to get excited.

Zaza

Still insist we were right in signing him over Zaha. His potential is obvious to anyone with half a brain.
He can run in behind, create and score. Pepe will be immense for us. The sticking point like someone said earlier might be AFCON getting pushed back to Jan.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Charlie Nicholas with all his absurd opinions. He does realise that Pepe and Marty are in the opposite wing, right?

MikeVinna

Established Member

Charlie Nicholas with all his absurd opinions. He does realise that Pepe and Marty are in the opposite wing, right?

Yeah Martin Nelly does not work on the right. He played one game there and was terrible. If anything we should be playing them both when given an opportunity to experiment..

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I think it's fair to say he hasn't lived up to his pricetag yet. He's generally been pretty good when starting out on the right, but considering what you paid you'd ideally want to see a lot more from him. He's only 24 though, arrived under a coach who looked lost and now has to adapt again to a new coach.

If he starts off next season poorly, that's probably when you have to start really worrying.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Charlie had a mare there :lol:

The issue at the minute is Arteta is compensating for our left side...we have a left back who is a winger and a forward who can't really dribble playing on the left wing...if we had this playing as a normal left hand side, Saka might be significantly struggling defensively and Auba would be making us all want to claw our own eyes out trying to beat people with skill!

Arteta has hid their weaknesses and increased their strengths...Xhaka drops to left back, allowing Saka to basically play as a winger in possession, which in turn allows Auba a free role on the left, to time is runs into the box.

This works very well, but because Xhaka is moving into an inverted left back spot, the whole teams shape has to move to compensate...Pepe who should be allowed freedom to stay quite far up the pitch, where his technique can cause massive damage for us, has to stay a bit deeper on the right to make up for the freedom the left side is getting...this is fine for now, but hopefully when Tierney gets fit and Saka moves to left wing, Arteta can sort the formation out...we can stop having to hinder Nico so much, he could become our most dangerous attacking player in a system built to his strength.

Don't care how he did under Emery, everyone was **** then...confident he will be a massive success here, as he is already putting up numbers in a system not to his benefit and just after moving to a new country (people shouldn't forget this, some people need time...Pires went from kinda "meh" in his first season, to the best winger in the country in season number two)

Very happy we signed him.

Last edited:

Tomb Bombadil

Starts to play better and better but he still has a long way to go.

Another player I thought with similiar talent and skills was Lozano. Transfer from PSV to Napoli for €38m. Just played 700mins and has no place anymore under Gattuso. So could have gone worse.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
He’s developing nicely, not as quickly as we all hoped but that’s sometimes how it goes in football.

I would like to see him make more runs in behind. His game is very much ball-to-feet at the moment, which explains why he has to beat 3 markers just to get into the box.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

He’s developing nicely, not as quickly as we all hoped but that’s sometimes how it goes in football.

I would like to see him make more runs in behind. His game is very much ball-to-feet at the moment, which explains why he has to beat 3 markers just to get into the box.
In the past few matches, I've seen him make some decent runs in behind, but his teammates have failed to find him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom