• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Finances

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Wenger was crazy to stay so long, the knives were out for him as early as 2010. Most fans don't understand how football works. It was inevitable that they would think he could continue like the invincibles with no money to spend.. He should have gone to Real or another rich club and not given them the chance to disrespect him.

By 2016/17 the club was in a pressure cooker, that's not the place for careful decisions.
Come off it. If Wenger was prone to 'panic buying', he'd have got more than Cech that fateful window. His go-to line was 'I can't find anything better than what we already have', and that was that. It can't be genius when he buys well and 'panic buy becoz of da pressure' when it goes wrong. He's only human. And even if it was because of pressure, that'll be down to bad planning.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Come off it. If Wenger was prone to 'panic buying', he'd have got more than Cech that fateful window. His go-to line was 'I can't find anything better than what we already have', and that was that. It can't be genius when he buys well and 'panic buy becoz of da pressure' when it goes wrong. He's only human. And even if it was because of pressure, that'll be down to bad planning.
Cech was 2015/16, before the planes, protests, memes, rants and boycotts.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Everything Wenger done, he done with no money or cash he made from sales.

You can argue the invincibles was built on the sales of Anelka, Overmars etc.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Exactly. Wasn't even under pressure and still made the worst decision he ever made.
Hindsight stuff. Despite all the injuries . . best defensive record, 2nd, and beat the 4 richer teams. Not too shabby. And we beat Leicester twice. If the other top 6 had done that they wouldn't have pulled off a long odds, once in 140 year win.

Kingofthebongo

This argument again. It doesn't take more than common sense to know that it is about both spending big and spending smart with it. They obviously both matter, if you spend BIG BIG, the mistakes matter less, but they still matter on the grand scheme of things.

We do neither right. Thus, the best we can hope for in the immediate is spending efficiently. The process of growing the pie has been an absolute disgrace from a management perspective, the ownership are clearly just holding an asset, and our recruitment policy nothing short of embarassing (yes, including the end of the Wenger reign).

If any of those variables improve we will climb out of the hole we were in. Until then, adios!

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Hindsight stuff. Despite all the injuries . . best defensive record, 2nd, and beat the 4 richer teams. Not too shabby. And we beat Leicester twice. If the other top 6 had done that they wouldn't have pulled off a long odds, once in 140 year win.
Doesn't erase it, though, does it? It was said by all and sundry at the time, anyway.

No pressure. No aeroplanes. No DT. Signed nobody.

Pressure wasn't going to help if that was his mindset before it arrived.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

@Rex Banter has been spot on about resale value..

In my eyes we’re still making the same mistakes.

Teams who’ve gone on to dominate Europe like Real and Liverpool have bought players in that 25 and under bracket who if they don’t work out can be easily moveable.

I’ve questioned the deals for both Mari and Soares but the answer has been that they’re cheap and on low wages. The point is that they take up a squad place and their wage is that much harder to shift if they don’t work out.

Yes we needed to make two signings in January but emergency signings are usually a sign of poor squad planning in the summer. How often do you see Pool or Real making signings in January unless it’s a long term target?

In my eyes you make a signing in January of someone like Jayden Bogle who will be worth twice his fee even if he flops rather than two cheap squaddies who will have negligible resale value.

Our transfer policy seems to be a constant loop of putting out fires that we’ve caused in previous windows.

scytheavatar

Established Member
In my eyes we’re still making the same mistakes.

Teams who’ve gone on to dominate Europe like Real and Liverpool have bought players in that 25 and under bracket who if they don’t work out can be easily moveable.

I’ve questioned the deals for both Mari and Soares but the answer has been that they’re cheap and on low wages. The point is that they take up a squad place and their wage is that much harder to shift if they don’t work out.

Yes we needed to make two signings in January but emergency signings are usually a sign of poor squad planning in the summer. How often do you see Pool or Real making signings in January unless it’s a long term target?

In my eyes you make a signing in January of someone like Jayden Bogle who will be worth twice his fee even if he flops rather than two cheap squaddies who will have negligible resale value.

Our transfer policy seems to be a constant loop of putting out fires that we’ve caused in previous windows.

Actually Soares is not on low wages and according to Ornstein Southampton were pissing on their pants thinking of how to shift him before we came in and helped them. Which makes signing him a complete head scratcher.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
We might have signed them in a desperate attempt to get any European football. I didn't realise how important the match revenue was for us in relation to other avenues. Cutting a further 6-8 games per season could have a big impact.

Guess it makes sense why Wenger & Emery both exited when the crowd dropped.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Yes we needed to make two signings in January but emergency signings are usually a sign of poor squad planning in the summer.

Agree. A lot of people went mad when Stuttgart signed no one but another two youngsters who are more future projects. The team could've gone with a "high profile" winger, a prolific goalscorer and a starting leftback - but Mislintat was clear he wouldn't make any emergency signings just because. Either they could get their targets or no one and trust in the team as it is and live with the mistakes of the summer window or injury problems. And I think he's right because emergency signings are just what you say; they're stopgaps bloating the roster and often hard to move on. And going by insiders Stuttgart had some serious even high profile targets, but sometimes transfers aren't as easy as throwing around cash and players can't move even if they want to. And in that case it's better to sign no one than to sign just anybody. E.g. I don't get the Soares thing - AMN was doing a solid job under Arteta and Bellerin came back from injury. On the other flank the injuries to Tierney and Kolasinac have openend up valuable playing time for Saka. I'm still out on Mari cause going by his profile he could be more of a credible target than an emergeny signing, but he basically hasn't played yet. CB is a position full of dead assets anyway: David Luiz and Sokratis because of age, Mustafi well because he is Shkodran, and Chambers and Holding have not just never fulfilled their promise but are now also decked in a fair off injury record. There's no one to make significant profit from, but almost all of them are on the clearout list over the next 2 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom