• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pablo Mari: 2019/2020 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhaggy

looked really calm and
Nice and steady although the opposition wasn't the best I guess. On the other hand he is supposed to have looked good against Liverpool also, so hopefully he can help us at CB.

A colleague who is a pool fan was very impressed with Flamengos two cb´s in that game. Of course that virtually says nothing about Mari as a player but one can only hope he turns out a gem.

zhaggy

I would anyhow rather have one or two good CBs doing that and advance our midfielders higher up the pitch in possession. So very good if e.g. he can do this.

Absolutely. Luiz is also capabable of doing this but the long-term plan surely is to get Saliba or a possible new signing to take his place.
But i am getting ahead of myself now, we´ll have to see Mari against better opposition before any judgement can be done.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Unless he’s a Varane, Saliba will be years away from being someone who you can bank on to push Arsenal back amongst the best 3/4 clubs.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
I can only think one or two circumstances in PL history that a CB under 24 has been relied on by a top club, and delivered.

David Luiz was 23 and starting for top Chelsea, Smalling was 21 starting for top United, and obviously John stones. It’s possible, but obviously more of an exception than a rule.

Eh, it’s a long shot, especially for arsenal.

Marí is 26 years which obviously isn’t young. Saliba being 18 would have to be an insane talent.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Unless he’s a Varane, Saliba will be years away from being someone who you can bank on to push Arsenal back amongst the best 3/4 clubs.

You are gonna be so angry next season when Luiz-Saliba, with Luiz as captain, takes us into the Champions League ;)

GDeep™

League is very weak
David Luiz was 23 and starting for top Chelsea, Smalling was 21 starting for top United, and obviously John stones. It’s possible, but obviously more of an exception than a rule.

Eh, it’s a long shot, especially for arsenal.

Marí is 26 years which obviously isn’t young. Saliba being 18 would have to be an insane talent.

Stones at Everton and nobody here rated him. Now City are looking at Koulibaly to replace him. Smalling had a few good months at Fulham but him and Jones have never regularly performed for Utd.

Luiz only played 30 league games in his first two seasons at Chelsea.

Joe Gomez joined Liverpool at 18/19 and is having his big season now, he’s 23 next month.

GDeep™

League is very weak
So I think what I’m saying is that our recruitment has been bad, we passed on Soyuncu for Sokratis for example I think.

Now we’re hoping a kid rescues us? At CB that’s near impossible unless you’re Varane level.

I’m wondering if we might need to look at picking up Stones if he’s out of favour at City. Not elite but but we’re not elite either, we’re a top 6 club. Stones and Mari, with Saliba on the sides, and old man Luiz, might be enough to make a top 4 push.

Kingofthebongo

I already see how much hope Arsenal fans have on him and there literally no way in the world anybody his age could meet these expectations.

Dude will be relied on as a 19 year old and it will most likely be 4-5 years until he becomes fully reliable.

The fans need to direct their insecurity and fear desguised as hope elsewhere.

Malky

Established Member
So I think what I’m saying is that our recruitment has been bad, we passed on Soyuncu for Sokratis for example I think.

Now we’re hoping a kid rescues us? At CB that’s near impossible unless you’re Varane level.

I’m wondering if we might need to look at picking up Stones if he’s out of favour at City. Not elite but but we’re not elite either, we’re a top 6 club. Stones and Mari, with Saliba on the sides, and old man Luiz, might be enough to make a top 4 push.
God I hope not, he's as error prone as Mustafi but doesn't get as much stick for it because he's English. Infact on current form, considering how much City will want for Stones, I'd rather keep Mustafi than waste more money on a painfully average CB!

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Van Dijk is 29 and is having his second top season. What’s there to laugh? Gomez is 22 and having a top season.

If I can have any CB on the planet it’ll be Gomez.
That’s a different discussion, ‘best’ is about current quality not squad planning.

But with that logic I would take Laporte any day. 25 and already top bracket, with a bucket load of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom