• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We need a CF. We need a new CB of starting quality. We need a new RB. Midfield, **** me we could do with 2 or 3 starting quality players. 1 is a must, 2 is probably needed.

When you realise what we have to do, think of how much will be available to spend and then there's the Auba situation you realise we'll be entering next season with holes in our squad still there, as per ****ing usual. (in spite of you read on here telling us it's been a brilliant transfer window, 3rd best squad, etc).

We've got too much to do, our aim for next season should be top 6.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

We need a CF. We need a new CB of starting quality. We need a new RB. Midfield, **** me we could do with 2 or 3 starting quality players. 1 is a must, 2 is probably needed.

When you realise what we have to do, think of how much will be available to spend and then there's the Auba situation you realise we'll be entering next season with holes in our squad still there, as per ****ing usual. (in spite of you read on here telling us it's been a brilliant transfer window, 3rd best squad, etc).

We've got too much to do, our aim for next season should be top 6.

We'd still have holes, even if we signed different players last window though? We know we can't cover every position in one window. In my opinion, we need a CB, CM and a midfielder with goals/assists in him first and foremost. Lose Auba and we need a striker, keep him were covered.

Tir Na Nog

We'd still have holes, even if we signed different players last window though? We know we can't cover every position in one window. In my opinion, we need a CB, CM and a midfielder with goals/assists in him first and foremost. Lose Auba and we need a striker, keep him were covered.

If we decide Auba's a CF then we need an LW, I'm saying we need a CF based on Auba played out wide by Arteta (he seems to want a certain type to play the CF role) if we lose Auba then we probably need an LW AND a CF.

The reason we constantly have holes is because our recruitment is horrendous. We've signed several CB's, midfielders, full-backs and forwards in the last few years yet still are not good enough and we go into every window still needing to strengthen those positions.

Of course we can't do it all in one window, but we need a midfield and a CB first and foremost, I think Arteta will probably want an RB unless Hector gets back to his best. Those three we absolutely have to do, no ifs buts or maybes. Three vital positions. We could probably get by in other areas if Auba stays but we still need an attacker. Even with all that we're left short in midfield. Hence why I'm not too optimistic about us getting back into the top 4 and it's a unrealistic expectation. Do people think Sp**s, United, Chelsea, Leicester are gonna be leaving themselves so short in key areas? Not a chance. Heck we'll probably bring in trash like Coutinho and Boateng which won't even improve us at all.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Focus ALL our resources on a new midfield, even if Auba leaves and we can't replace him yet.

Just replace all of our dogshit starting midfielders. There's no debate here.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Focus ALL our resources on a new midfield, even if Auba leaves and we can't replace him yet.

Just replace all of our dogshit starting midfielders. There's no debate here.
Worth just sending Guendouzi on loan for a year or 2 first, see how he goes with a Championship team or relegation challenging team before getting rid of him permanently? Xhaka for example I will agree with there though. He's (Guendouzi) only very young so he may eventually come good.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

If we decide Auba's a CF then we need an LW, I'm saying we need a CF based on Auba played out wide by Arteta (he seems to want a certain type to play the CF role) if we lose Auba then we probably need an LW AND a CF.

The reason we constantly have holes is because our recruitment is horrendous. We've signed several CB's, midfielders, full-backs and forwards in the last few years yet still are not good enough and we go into every window still needing to strengthen those positions.

Of course we can't do it all in one window, but we need a midfield and a CB first and foremost, I think Arteta will probably want an RB unless Hector gets back to his best. Those three we absolutely have to do, no ifs buts or maybes. Three vital positions. We could probably get by in other areas if Auba stays but we still need an attacker. Even with all that we're left short in midfield. Hence why I'm not too optimistic about us getting back into the top 4 and it's a unrealistic expectation. Do people think Sp**s, United, Chelsea, Leicester are gonna be leaving themselves so short in key areas? Not a chance. Heck we'll probably bring in trash like Coutinho and Boateng which won't even improve us at all.

If Auba stays we could get away with Saka/Martinelli at LW, or bring in someone on a loan like Coutinho, ideal? No, but he helps us definitely.

Had we bought a top CB and midfielder like Partey last window, we’d still need to go big on goal scoring winger and midfielder with goals. In my opinion recruitment failed us because of Gazidis and we’re still feeling the effects now.

One thing you can say about last window is we actually targeted players we needed rather than random opportunity players. Again in January we did the same, we brought in a cover right back and a left footed cover CB. I really can’t complain thus far with transfer business since were targeting the right areas on a poor budget.

My only issue with Raul and the board so far was keeping Emery in as long as they did.

Tir Na Nog

If Auba stays we could get away with Saka/Martinelli at LW, or bring in someone on a loan like Coutinho, ideal? No, but he helps us definitely.

Had we bought a top CB and midfielder like Partey last window, we’d still need to go big on goal scoring winger and midfielder with goals. In my opinion recruitment failed us because of Gazidis and we’re still feeling the effects now.

One thing you can say about last window is we actually targeted players we needed rather than random opportunity players. Again in January we did the same, we brought in a cover right back and a left footed cover CB. I really can’t complain thus far with transfer business since were targeting the right areas on a poor budget.

My only issue with Raul and the board so far was keeping Emery in as long as they did.

This is the thing tho, regardless of who gets the blame for it, we're still a long way off and have too much to do in one window. It's the result of many poor windows. I don't think that can be argued.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

This is the thing tho, regardless of who gets the blame for it, we're still a long way off and have too much to do in one window. It's the result of many poor windows. I don't think that can be argued.

Yep 100% agree with you there this is a result of many failed transfer windows and is why Arsenal are where we are. But I’ll still believe we’re changing that and recruitment is getting better, but again one window isn’t enough to show that but it’s what I believe so far. What’s not helping at all is all the players we get linked to because everyone assumes this is where I serious interest is until we don’t sign them.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Worth just sending Guendouzi on loan for a year or 2 first, see how he goes with a Championship team or relegation challenging team before getting rid of him permanently? Xhaka for example I will agree with there though. He's (Guendouzi) only very young so he may eventually come good.

Would kill his transfer value though. He was been quoted as a 40m to 50m player after rumoured interest from PSG. Currently, he is a first teamer for Arsenal with an international cap. It would arguably be better to sell him then loan him to a Championship or relegation fodder.

Think he's worth sticking with as a squad option.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Without sounding like a broken record, my regret with the board is not given Emery the midfielders and defenders that he wanted.

I reckon we could get away with Martinelli or Saka onnthe wing next year if we keep Auba and strengthen our spine.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What annoys me the most is that for the past couple of years, midfield has seen the most transfers in. From 2013 we have signed Flamini, Kim Kallstrom on loan (lol), Elneny, Xhaka, Torreira, Guendouzi and Cellabos on loan. When you look at that list, what attributes stick out? Where’s the athleticism? All of these players are more or less the same. No real standouts in quality, no one who can go both ways effectively. Attack and defend. Now look at the midfielders we signed before 2013: Wilshere, Ramsey, Arteta, Song, Fàbregas, Cazorla, Diaby, Ox, Denilson, Nasri at times. As you can see there’s a clear difference in technical quality and more athleticism. Funnily enough when we were broke we understood the premier league but now we sign midfielders who clearly struggle to adapt to the league. You can’t even blame it on lack of funds, this is poor recruitment as it comes. It’s worrying because it shows that while Arsenal understand there’s been a long standing problem in midfield, we continuously fail to address the issues at hand. Of course fans don’t know best at all times but why is it that we’ve been crying for athleticism in our midfield and the club doesn’t even consider it.

We’ve had the likes of AMN, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Chambers and David Luiz play some games in midfield. So we have had loads of different players in midfield and disregarding a few, we are so poor at identifying talent at midfield for almost a decade now.

I'd genuinely argue that we haven't had a quality midfield since the invincibles. We have had functional midfield, but they have always exposed the defence as the balance has never been quite right. Midfield combinations that have appeared to have balance have always had a standout player in them. Fabregas and Flamini worked because Fabregas was outrageous and the two wide players were incredibly technical. Cazorla and Coquelin worked because Cazorla was insanely two footed with immaculate ball control.

The majority of players we have signed either have one good attribute or nothing at all. Our midfield options are as technically secure as you would expect centre backs to be. It's an indictment on our recruitment. How can you expect to dominate teams if you do not have the midfield to do so.

Teams look at us and go for us. Look at our options:

Xhaka

Pros - can hit a cross field ball, stays in his position. Best attribute - He is a good professional and must be a nice guy who works hard. When that is why you are being picked the club has a problem. Okay at heading.

Cons - No pace recovery, can't tackle, one footed, can't dribble, can't drive, can't turn, cautious with passing, doesn't move off the ball and shuts down passing lanes. No confidence in ball contol. Xhaka will try and head the ball down to a teammate instead of using his chest to bring the ball down. Cant receive on the half turn. Tries to buy fouls instead of carrying the ball.

Guendouzi

Pros - Personality and confidence, can see a pass, has good passing range and weight of pass. Can occasionally stop his man.

Cons - positioning, pathetic in the air, holds onto the ball too long, slow, lacks agility, isn't that good of a tackler, cant recover, cant dribble, weak, isn't incisive. Tries to by fouls instead of playing.

Torreira

Pros- good positionally, can cover short distances and win tackles, good pace of pass and spends little time on the ball.

Cons - slow over long distances, lacks aerial ability in terms of height, cant dribble, can turn but gets caught due to lack of strength, isn't incisive, buys fouls due to lack of strength. Csnt recover due to lack of speed.

Ceballos

Pros - technically better than other options, can retain possession and turn, can pass, can shoot.
Positionally good.

Cons - weak, cant tackle even though he tries, weak aerially, although he is technically good, he takes too long on the ball and turns when he doesn't need to. He runs the ball to players closing their space and then asks tor it back. He isn't really incisive. He is SLOW. Cant recover.

How in the hell can you hope to go anywhere as a club with those 4 as your first choice midfield options. We have players who could offer so much more there. They just don't fit the bill because they are more risky on the ball, but why does that matter if they have the pace to recover it?

AMN

Pros - speed on the ball and off it with recovery, dribbling, drive, stand up tackling, body strength, contests headers, pace of pass, spends minimal time on the ball, moves after he passes it. Combative. Passing. AMN can ping a ball.

Cons - mentality, focus (although I think he is more focused when central), positioning (again when central that isn't an issue). Slopping passing on occasion, but no different to Xhaka.

Nelson - Pros

Nelson could easily play as an 8 in a 3 man midfield btw. Technically superb. Can shoot, dribble, drive, pass and has explosive movement after passing. Fast and has recovery.
Works hard and can stand up tackle.

Cons - weak in the air, lacks body strength, positioning, can lose the ball as he is trying to hurt three oposition not just hold the ball.

Willock ,

Pros - agile,strong, okay in the air, good late runs, can seriously drive ( did it against liverpool ffs). He can recover defensively, cleared balls of the line and saved goals in pre season. Good passing.

Cons - while being played out of position, his first touch under pressure isn't good. He can go missing playing as a 10.

We have players who can play in a 3.

Willock, Nelson, ESR, AMN as 8s with Torreira holding would be much better than any combination of Ceballos, Xhaka and Guendouzi.

Auba-----------------Laca--------------Pepe

-------------------------Özil

---------------Xhaka--------Ceballos

Kolasinac--Luiz----Mustafi---Bellerin

-----------------------Leno

Vs

ESR------------Martinelli--------Saka

---------Nelson--------------Willock

----------------------Torreira

Tierney------Mari---Sokratis--------AMN

----------------------Martinez

I mean? Can you call the game? Aubameyang vs AMN? Hed probably score but it would be as hard for him as it was for Zaha.

Pepe vs Tierney and Mari with ESR doubling up and Torreira covering?

Lacazette vs Mari and Sokratis? He's getting bullied.

Özil with Torreira practically following him? Not so sure he would do anything.

Flip it round. Saka vs Kola while cutting in?
ESR vs Bellerin while cutting in?

Xhaka and Ceballos vs the hard running of Nelson and Willock?

Martinelli vs Mustafi?

We have a clear 'first team' players. We always have. It doesn't matter whether they are not good enough. They are always considered first team. From our 'first team' only Auba, Pepe, Leno, Luiz and Bellerin would get into that 'youth team'.

I'll never forget the game where we thrashed Southampton, with a midfield of Ox, Rene Adelaide, AMN and a forward line with Welbeck, Perez and Walcott.

They then got dropped for senior players.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I used a very broad brush. Guendouzi could become excellent but as you say should be out on loan next season.

Xhaka needs binning as soon as possible, I cannot stand him, his style of play or the fact that all our head coaches are in ****ing inexplicable cahoots with him.

Torreira is not made for this league.

Ceballos is average technically and creatively yet he's head and shoulders above the other three in those departments, which shows just how ****ed we are. Needs to go back to Madrid.

Willock has the most potential of all of them, but only as a CM, not a number 10 (seriously, it's infuriating that he's only played there) because he doesn't have the decision making or creativity.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I'd genuinely argue that we haven't had a quality midfield since the invincibles. We have had functional midfield, but they have always exposed the defence as the balance has never been quite right. Midfield combinations that have appeared to have balance have always had a standout player in them. Fabregas and Flamini worked because Fabregas was outrageous and the two wide players were incredibly technical. Cazorla and Coquelin worked because Cazorla was insanely two footed with immaculate ball control.

The majority of players we have signed either have one good attribute or nothing at all. Our midfield options are as technically secure as you would expect centre backs to be. It's an indictment on our recruitment. How can you expect to dominate teams if you do not have the midfield to do so.

Xhaka

Pros - can hit a cross field ball, stays in his position. Best attribute - He is a good professional and must be a nice guy who works hard. When that is why you are being picked the club has a problem. Okay at heading.

Cons - No pace recovery, can't tackle, one footed, can't dribble, can't drive, can't turn, cautious with passing, doesn't move off the ball and shuts down passing lanes. No confidence in ball contol. Xhaka will try and head the ball down to a teammate instead of using his chest to bring the ball down. Cant receive on the half turn. Tries to buy fouls instead of carrying the ball.

Guendouzi

Pros - Personality and confidence, can see a pass, has good passing range and weight of pass. Can occasionally stop his man.

Cons - positioning, pathetic in the air, holds onto the ball too long, slow, lacks agility, isn't that good of a tackler, cant recover, cant dribble, weak, isn't incisive. Tries to by fouls instead of playing.

Torreira

Pros- good positionally, can cover short distances and win tackles, good pace of pass and spends little time on the ball.

Cons - slow over long distances, lacks aerial ability in terms of height, cant dribble, can turn but gets caught due to lack of strength, isn't incisive, buys fouls due to lack of strength. Csnt recover due to lack of speed.

Ceballos

Pros - technically better than other options, can retain possession and turn, can pass, can shoot.
Positionally good.

Cons - weak, cant tackle even though he tries, weak aerially, although he is technically good, he takes too long on the ball and turns when he doesn't need to. He runs the ball to players closing their space and then asks tor it back. He isn't really incisive. He is SLOW. Cant recover.

How in the hell can you hope to go anywhere as a club with those 4 as your first choice midfield options. We have players who could offer so much more there. They just don't fit the bill because they are more risky on the ball, but why does that matter if they have the pace to recover it?

AMN

Pros - speed on the ball and off it with recovery, dribbling, drive, stand up tackling, body strength, contests headers, pace of pass, spends minimal time on the ball, moves after he passes it. Combative. Passing. AMN can ping a ball.

Cons - mentality, focus (although I think he is more focused when central), positioning (again when central that isn't an issue). Slopping passing on occasion, but no different to Xhaka.

Nelson - Pros

Nelson could easily play as an 8 in a 3 man midfield btw. Technically superb. Can shoot, dribble, drive, pass and has explosive movement after passing. Fast and has recovery.

Cons - weak in the air, lacks body strength, positioning, can lose the ball as he is trying to hurt three oposition not just hold the ball.

Willock ,

Pros - agile,strong, okay in the air, good late runs, can seriously drive ( did it against liverpool ffs). He can recover defensively, cleared balls of the line and saved goals in pre season. Good passing.

Cons - while being played out of position, his first touch under pressure isn't good. He can go missing playing as a 10.

Willock, Nelson, ESR, AMN as 8s with Torreira holding would be much better than any combination of Ceballos, Xhaka and Guendouzi.

Vs

I mean? Can you call the game? Aubameyang vs AMN? Hed probably score but it would be as hard for him as it was for Zaha.

Martinelli vs Mustafi?

We have a clear 'first team' players. We always have. It doesn't matter whether they are not good enough. They are always considered first team. From our 'first team' only Auba, Pepe, Leno, Luiz and Bellerin would get into that 'youth team'.

I'll never forget the game where we thrashed Southampton, with a midfield of Ox, Rene Adelaide, AMN and a forward line with Welbeck, Perez and Walcott.

I said in the unpopular opinion section that almost every player above the age of 23 at Arsenal would need to be binned sooner rather than later.

I hate to go all 'yer da' but the 'men' at Arsenal are inconsistent, unreliable, error-prone, injury prone or straight up not Arsenal quality and that's why we often hype up the younger guys because we are projecting, probably the same reason as to why we want Arteta to do well. I've watched Xhaka enough to know he's not getting any better but i can look past the bad performances of a Guendouzi or a Willock because i dont know how good they can become. For young and inexperienced coach it sometimes pays off you to go back to the "old guard" but the truth is, you rely on the old boys and you get the chop. Same happened with Wenger then Emery. The club needs to actively move forwards with a new model that makes sense. But if we are going to start sign some experience, then let's buy less Litchsteiners and more Artetas.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
We

Xhaka

Guendouzi

Torreira

Ceballos

Positionally good.

AMN

Nelson - Pros

Willock ,

Vs

Martinelli vs Mustafi?

We already have the players to play in a 3 except the coveted 6 role. I am so annoyed we didn't go after Bruno Guimaires. I thought having all these Brazilians in our hierarchy would mean we get first pick on Brazilian talent and we completely missed the ball. He can build, defend, press, mobile etc. I have never seen a more Pep like midfielder crying out for us.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I'm not sure how exactly Luiz and Bellerin would go into your youth team because both have been terrible.
When you start to question if some of your most expensive players like Özil, Laca and Xhaka would get into that youth team, then you know you are in big trouble.
We've always had clear first team players and there was always a clear difference in quality when comparing a guy who is playing every game and a gut who is sitting on the bench every game. Not anymore, and that's why we see so many rotations from three different managers within a season.
For example, if you have a 350k/w fancy playmaker who doesn't play defense and gives you 2 assists, you start to question if your 20k/w youth product can give you 5 assists and help a bit in defence. This breaks your business model, team spirit, game plan, and long term strategy.
To avoid Özil discussion here, we've seen the same pattern and a much clearer example of a broken business model when comparing our LB's. Kid on 3k/w is probably our best LB since Cole, but he then looks at 120k/w plumber and injury prone Tierney. Is he wrong to ask 150k now to earn more than the plumber because he is better than him? Surely not, he is a better player but our business model is dead if he gets that.
Another good example is Laca who looks like a player who gave up on football but earns probably around 150k. He needs to play because we are paying him a lot, but what do we do with Martinelli? Looks like we are benching the kid who was clearly a better player only because he is a kid, in favor of a player who is here just to take the money and doesn't care about football.

I'm not sure why do you think that we have a clear first team because we don't have it. We rotate average players and hope for the best instead of making a clear plan and make some serious changes. The plan is just not there and it's missing for years. Our style has vanished with years. You don't go from Cazorla to Xhaka or from RVP to Giroud, that's just stupid and that's how your style changes

Our model is broken and we need to start selling senior players asap. For years we are trying to rebuild the squad without making serious changes, we are just patching stuff around. I think there is a lot to learn from how things are done in NBA where the GM decides that key players don't work well together and they get rid of their star players much quicker. We keep them here forever expecting better results if we make small changes. It never happens

Kav

Established Member
Unfortunately i think we have a long list of first team players who should leave. I don't think the transfer market will allow us to command great prices when it opens but some of these players should be sold if they are not apart of the manager's plans or are not producing on the field.

I'll start with a few:

Goal Keeping:

Martinez

Defenders:
Mustafa
Socratis
Holding
Mavropanos
Bellerin

Midfield:

Xhaka
Elneny
Mhikitarian
Torreira

Forwards:
Either Aubameyan or Lacazette
Nketiah (Not good enough)

Last edited:

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
If the season does resume, how many injuries will we still have out there? Is anybody set to return like Tierney?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
If the season does resume, how many injuries will we still have out there? Is anybody set to return like Tierney?
Tierney was meant to be back in March so he's most likely available to train. I think only the longer term injuries like Torreira and Chambers will be out.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I'd like to see our midfield revamped as a priority. One quality centre back in his prime would be ideal.

I'd keep Auba and let him walk on a free myself. There is no quality striker we can buy for the quoted 30m.

Tierney is a waste of time I think, don't think he has the physique for the league. Can see Saka taking his place via natural selection whilst Tierney has a Debauchy type career here.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Middle of the park we look short but for me if we got one really great option in like Thomas it would totally transform the team.

Torreira, Xhaka and Guendouzi wouldn’t have to advance the ball if we got him and could play their natural games from deep.

Then someone who can unlock defences and play on the left wing preferably. Only one who I can realistically think of is Grealish, dream would be Aouar though.

Bogle as a development RB and that team is looking very exciting if you keep Auba for another year.

Top Bottom