• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Most overrated Arsenal players

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I personally think Mertesacker is our best defender in the Emirates era, excluding someone like Toure who was still around from before the move. I mean it doesn't say a lot as the only competition is Koscielny. Gallas was alright for a small period. However as been rightfully pointed out our team was not defender friendly for lack of a better way of putting it. We played very offensively, were very poor at stopping counter attacks, would leave few men back, played a high line. For a CB of Mertesacker's profile the odds were stacked against him. Yet there was a period from like 2013 through to most of 2014/15 where Koscielny and Mertesacker as partnership were brilliant. At one stage for several months they were statistically the best CB pairing in the league even outperforming Terry-Cahill for example.

Put Mertesacker in a Mourinho team for example, where they play a much lower block, have a plan for dealing with counters, have a midfield shielding the back 4 and he'd be held in so much higher regard in general.

I personally feel he did exceptionally well for a certain period given what he was up against, his reading of the game was world class even his lack of recovery pace was a huge flaw, one which did end up getting exposed.

say yes

forum master baiter
Good post mate.

Think that Lehmann was also kinda weird keeper.He had some decent games and had decent CL run in 2006.But he also made some big mistakes during his time at Arsenal.Still better than all keppers after him.
He was a good keeper, but you could never rely on him not to do something stupid.

By far the weakest link in the invicinbles for me, and I’m still bitter about a lot of the ways he cost us. Even in 2005/2006, when he turned into the best keeper in the world - and I finally understood why Wenger had signed him - he then became the first player to ever get a straight red in a CL final. The fact he then went from being the best GK in the world to being dropped for a bum like Almunia by the 2007 season highlights just how erratic his form could be.

Easy to say in hindsight perhaps, but we should have replaced Seaman with someone like Van der Sar, who was playing right under our nose in Fulham. Genuinely think we could have won the CL at least once in that period with a more dependable GK between the posts. Wenger seems to have had a blindspot when it came to signing decent GKs though.

say yes

forum master baiter
I personally think Mertesacker is our best defender in the Emirates era, excluding someone like Toure who was still around from before the move. I mean it doesn't say a lot as the only competition is Koscielny. Gallas was alright for a small period. However as been rightfully pointed out our team was not defender friendly for lack of a better way of putting it. We played very offensively, were very poor at stopping counter attacks, would leave few men back, played a high line. For a CB of Mertesacker's profile the odds were stacked against him. Yet there was a period from like 2013 through to most of 2014/15 where Koscielny and Mertesacker as partnership were brilliant. At one stage for several months they were statistically the best CB pairing in the league even outperforming Terry-Cahill for example.

Put Mertesacker in a Mourinho team for example, where they play a much lower block, have a plan for dealing with counters, have a midfield shielding the back 4 and he'd be held in so much higher regard in general.

I personally feel he did exceptionally well for a certain period given what he was up against, his reading of the game was world class even his lack of recovery pace was a huge flaw, one which did end up getting exposed.
Yep. Per encapsulated exactly what our defence has been missing for much of the Emirates era: leadership, organisation and composure.

Might not have been as quick, hard in the tackle, or good on the ball as some of the more “talented” players we’ve suffered through there, but it’s those intangibles that actually matter most to a CB.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Not an Arsenal player, but always found Kante pretty overrated.

The only two titles he won in 2016 and 2017, were two of the worst seasons I have seen in terms of having top teams in them...after that he has been playing in teams that have scrapped into top four, or not got in it..he is nowhere near the best midfielders list of all time in the prem, all he can do is run a lot and tackle, someone like Essien was way more rounded as a player...Kante also has no leadership qualities imo, no personality on the pitch, he just smiles...whenever someone compares this midget to Vieira I get angry.

Obviously still a very good player, but nothing more than a rich man’s Coquelin imo.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Agree with you lads on Per.If he was only quicker...

giphy.gif

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

The only two titles he won in 2016 and 2017, were two of the worst seasons I have seen in terms of having top teams in them...after that he has been playing in teams that have scrapped into top four, or not got in it..he is nowhere near the best midfielders list of all time in the prem, all he can do is run a lot and tackle, someone like Essien was way more rounded as a player...Kante also has no leadership qualities imo, no personality on the pitch, he just smiles...whenever someone compares this midget to Vieira I get angry.

Obviously still a very good player, but nothing more than a rich man’s Coquelin imo.

He's nowhere near Vieira but **** me what he did for Leicester in that season was absolutely incredible. Like I mean remember just watching him, he was literally doing the work of two men arguably. Alongside a rather mediocre Drinkwater, in a midfield 2 against a lot of teams which played a 3 man midfield the performances he put in were extraordinary. I didn't think he was the standout player at Chelsea during their title winning season mind. But that Leicester season he deserved all the plaudits. Imo he was THE difference.

Kav

Established Member
  1. Özil - He is good but not as good as how some people rate him or he's just not showing it in arsenal colours.
  2. Bellerin - mediocre Defender at best.
  3. Holding -Don't see what the fuss is about.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Kante won a world cup also.

You say he only runs around a lot and tackles. That's his job. It's like saying that Ruud Van Nistlerooy only scored goals.

As for leadership you dont need to be a vocal leader. Him putting a shift in every game. Winning a last ditch tackle or chasing a lost cause is also a form of leadership.

Kante is a great player and someone who we could have done with. You may feel that Kante only runs and tackles but Xhaka doesnt run and isnt the best tackler in the world. How many penalties has he given away compared to Kante?

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
  1. Özil - He is good but not as good as how some people rate him or he's just not showing it in arsenal colours.
  2. Bellerin - mediocre Defender at best.
  3. Holding -Don't see what the fuss is about.

Özil in Arsenal is very overrated.

He was good player before,no doubt about that.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Rich man’s Coquelin... what am I reading?

Back to back PL titles, a player of the year and linchpin of a World Cup winning team. Who is he overrated in comparison to?

Why are you comparing him to Vieira and Essien btw? Weird comparison as they’re very different players.

He's nowhere near Vieira but **** me what he did for Leicester in that season was absolutely incredible. Like I mean remember just watching him, he was literally doing the work of two men arguably. Alongside a rather mediocre Drinkwater, in a midfield 2 against a lot of teams which played a 3 man midfield the performances he put in were extraordinary. I didn't think he was the standout player at Chelsea during their title winning season mind. But that Leicester season he deserved all the plaudits. Imo he was THE difference.

Thought he was even better in 2016/17 tbh, had dreadful midfield partners in a past it Cesc and Matic but still ran the show and won PFA player of the year. Absolute don.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Rosicky - Guy was fragile and injured all the time, dunno why he is some cult hero to Arsenal fans
That's different than being overrated, he was an injury prone player but still very talented.

Eduardo: People were listing this guy as one of the top 10 CFs they’ve seen play for us ffs. Another case where having awful luck with injuries massively elevates your status.
Again, the thread is about overrated players, not players who couldn't make it here because of the injuries. You can't have a player that had one of the worst injuries in football history and say he was overrated, he barely played and people usually admire his insane finishing ability, nothing else.

Mert - was lucky enough to have Kos next to him when we were defending hight. Not a bad player bad just didn't fit that system.
Xhaka - I still can't believe how much support this bum gets and so many people think he should be our default starter.
Özil - I can't remember a single player that lived on his past glory as long as this guy does. The guy is dead as a player for the last 4-5 years with an occasional good match to fill some youtube highlights against the bottom teams
Giroud - mediocre striker that looked better than he was just because some top players were around him. His hold up play was the most overrated attribute I've seen from an Arsenal player

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Top five

5 kanu - Kanu was good in his first two seasons where his biggest quality was his awkward style of hold up play and good close ball control caused opposition problems. However this attribute turned into his biggest flaw in his woeful last 4 seasons with us. Kanu held onto the ball far too long, was tripping all over his own feet constantly and often gave away possession. People remeber Kanu fondly for how good he was in the first two seasons and forget just how poor he was in his final 4 seasons.

4. Song - had a great break out season partnering Cesc. Song after that season played as a offensive box to box CM instead of DCM. With every season Song did less and less defensively and left majority of the defensive work to the other CM (first Wilshere and later Arteta). Not only did Song neglect his defensive duties but it seemed everytime he got the ball he would just lump it up field "have it" style without raising his head to even bother looking were players upfield were. It was so strange, a "hit and hope" tactic that RVP would get onto the end of it. The tatic failed as the vast majority of his long balls would go straight to opponents or be over hit and go out.

3. Ramsey - scored important goals and quality goals however he is up there with Diaby and Bellerin for the player to have produced the most poor peformances in an Arsenal shirt. Ramsey overall play could be very poor, his defensive positional awareness was non existent and he was constantly dribbled past opponents with ease. Ramsey passing could be extremely reckless and sloppy. Best thig Emery did was not renew his verbally agreed contract (at the time under Emery Rambo was on a wofeful run of peformances and found himself out of the starting 11).

2. Bellerin - Had a great break out season and regressed every season since more and more. Bellerin defensive positional awareness and discipline is non existent and for me that's the most important attribute for a full back. Bellerin also lost his only one redeeming attribute in his pace before the 18/19 season. Bellerin let himself pile on the pounds and get very out shape taking over 2 months into the season to shift the extra timber. However since then Bellerin pace isnt anywhere it used to be. I' can't thing of one quality he possesses now?

1. Diaby - reffered to by many as player who was destined for greatness and a sublime technical player. In reality Diaby had 1 decent game against Pool and was utter ****e in all his other 179 peformances for us. Laziest player to play under Wenger, would stroll around the pitch with an facial expression of a cow chewing grass. Diaby had no defensive positional awareness or disclpline. Could not stop giving the ball away cheaply constantly. However Diaby was a tall African French CM and people were so desperate for him to be the next Vieira, so they became deluded over him. Denilson became their scape coat at the time and he was technically astute player and a much player than the extremely overrated Diaby.

Last edited:

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Xhaka - I still can't believe how much support this bum gets and so many people think he should be our default starter.

Is there a lot of fans who really rate him ? :lol:

I mean,we talk about him a lot on AM,but don't know how many think about him so highly.He always had more flaws in his game with dumb fouls,red cards and some mistakes.That transfer alone was overrated while we gave for him 45 milion €.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Cech. Disastrous signing.

Tbf he was probably the best goalkeeper in the world for a solid three or four year stretch for Chelsea.

When he finally came to us he was pretty much on his last legs although I still think the goalkeeping staff we had then would have failed any goalkeeper. Prime examples are Fabianski and Szczesny becoming top keepers as soon as they left.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Aaron Ramsey for me. Not because I didnt like him but because his importance - even now - is relatively overstated in comparison to other players. Endeavor aside, he was often frustrated.

Diaby always had his detractors so not fair to put him on overrated list. He was incredibly talented but just lacked consistency. I'd kill to have a fit Diaby now.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Tbf he was probably the best goalkeeper in the world for a solid three or four year stretch for Chelsea.

When he finally came to us he was pretty much on his last legs although I still think the goalkeeping staff we had then would have failed any goalkeeper. Prime examples are Fabianski and Szczesny becoming top keepers as soon as they left.

Fabianski could do it more at Arsenal.Still don't understand how was he on bench and bum Almunia was first choice goalkeeper for 3 years or so.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity

Can't comment on Szczesny but Fab is about the same level he was here. Still makes the same dopey mistakes he always has. Just doesn't get highlighted so much at such a terrible club.

Top Bottom