• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

It's 2013 again..

Who should Arsenal have signed in the summer of 2013?

• Total voters

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I don't know about Higuain, but if I'm pretty damn sure that if we'd signed Suarez we'd have won the league at least twice (2013/2014 and 2015/2016)

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
.The big mistake was summer 2015.
One of the most damaging transfer window. The most damaging being the 2016/2017 window where we signed mustafi, Xhaka and Perez for £100m and we haven't recovered since then

Last edited:

Kav

Established Member
Folks seem to forget that Giroud was not signed to replace RVP as his transfer was in the pipeline. The problem was that we didn’t expect to lose RVP that year we did and resulted in Giroud being our main forward. He just wasn’t good enough.

So that summer Of 2013 we should have gotten a upgrade on Giroud instead of Özil. But we know Wenger has a lot of patience for some players and he wanted to give Giroud the chance. Plus Walcott was doing his dumb oh I want to be a striker thing and asking Wenger to play him up front. -_-

we should have gone for lewandowski or Aubameyang that summer.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Summer of 2008 was another really, REALLY bad one.

Lost Diarra, Gilberto and Flamini all in six months and didn't bring in any DMs to replace them because it would "kill" Denilson, Song and Diaby...even though none of them were DMs, only us :lol:

Lost Jens that summer and should have 100% replaced him with Shay Given, instead of letting Almunia have the spot for another 2 and 1/2 years ffs! :facepalm:

That was the first summer I remember thinking "what the **** are we doing".

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Feels like some people underestimate how good Suarez really was. He was immense at Liverpool, only Messi and Ronaldo were better, and getting him would have been our biggest signing since Bergkamp and possibly Campbell

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Lost Diarra, Gilberto and Flamini all in six months and didn't bring in any DMs to replace them because it would "kill" Denilson, Song and Diaby...even though none of them were DMs, only us :lol:

Lost Jens that summer and should have 100% replaced him with Shay Given, instead of letting Almunia have the spot for another 2 and 1/2 years ffs! :facepalm:

How old are you?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Folks seem to forget that Giroud was not signed to replace RVP as his transfer was in the pipeline. The problem was that we didn’t expect to lose RVP that year we did and resulted in Giroud being our main forward. He just wasn’t good enough.

So that summer Of 2013 we should have gotten a upgrade on Giroud instead of Özil. But we know Wenger has a lot of patience for some players and he wanted to give Giroud the chance. Plus Walcott was doing his dumb oh I want to be a striker thing and asking Wenger to play him up front. -_-

we should have gone for lewandowski or Aubameyang that summer.
Theo was unfortunate IMO. Had he not torn his ACL, things may have worked out for him as a CF. It would have been tough but he showed some promise there when given the chance - the very game he tore his ACL he was having the game of his life playing the sacrificial CF role vs Sp**s. His performance was only overshadowed by him being stretchered off while mugging off the Sp**s fans to what we now know was a season-ending injury.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Greizmann is one of the biggest gimps in football...so pass hard pass on that ****!

It’s a whole other feeling when he’s banging in goals for your team let me tell you that. Even let his sh*t hairstyles slide.

On him though, think he’s one of the most underrated players of the last five years even with the accolades he gets.

He might have only scored 94 goals in his time there and never got above 22 in the league but Atletico as a team only scored 313 goals in that time.

That figure considering how low their chance creation has been and the style of play is mental, that means 30% of all their league goals in that five year span have been scored by him.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Going into that season, I remember being encouraged that Denilson was being given a shot. I thought he was gonna be better than Cesc in those first few months. He looked hungry and almost like a perfect young CM. Once he got those back injuries and lost his hunger, he was 1/3 of the player I thought he would become - to the point I was always scust that he was in the team. Occasionally felt the same with Diaby and his annoying inconsistency and constant injuries but I maintained hope that he would suffice even when he got hurt. In a twist of fate, I thought Song would initially turn out to be a complete dud at first but he eventually grew to be a relatively vital cog by the time he left.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It’s a whole other feeling when he’s banging in goals for your team let me tell you that. Even let his sh*t hairstyles slide.

On him though, think he’s one of the most underrated players of the last five years even with the accolades he gets.

He might have only scored 94 goals in his time there and never got above 22 in the league but Atletico as a team only scored 313 goals in that time.

That figure considering how low their Chance creation has been and the style of play is mental, that means 30% of all their league goals in that five year span have been scored by him.
Griezmann is a real player. I'd have liked to have him here at the time. Probably not now given the amount of ****tish things I've seen of him (blackface in particular), but at the time, sure.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
How old are you?

I'm not Finnish, i'm only 28.

That figure considering how low their chance creation has been and the style of play is mental, that means 30% of all their league goals in that five year span have been scored by him.

He is one of the few players I can't judge fairly, he is a very good goalscorer, like a perfect version of Walcott, but I just can't stand him...just, nah...too much of a gimp!

Going into that season, I remember being encouraged that Denilson was being given a shot. I thought he was gonna be better than Cesc in those first few months. He looked hungry and almost like a perfect young CM. Once he got those back injuries and lost his hunger, he was 1/3 of the player I thought he would become - to the point I was always scust that he was in the team. Occasionally felt the same with Diaby and his annoying inconsistency and constant injuries but I maintained hope that he would suffice even when he got hurt. In a twist of fate, I thought Song would initially turn out to be a complete dud at first but he eventually grew to be a relatively vital cog by the time he left.

As a very optimistic 16 year old at the time, I stupidly assumed we were trying to win the league every year still at that point, so I was very unhappy at that transfer window, first season I went into thinking we had no chance of the Premiership/Champions League.

Looking back we clearly were just a top four team then, but we nearly left ourselves way too short for that, Arshavin saved us really...dressing room was a mess in 2008/2009, Robin and Ade hated eachother, Toure and Gallas hated eachother (Gallas hated everyone and everyone hated him tbf), we had a Championship level goalkeeper starting for us, no experienced players in midfield to calm down the younglins when things started going badly, don't know how we got to the semis of the Champions League this year really but were swept aside easily by the first top team we played in that run...first season under Arsène I feel was a bit of a mess...still somehow got fourth though :lol:

Last edited:

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Higuaín would have made a difference. Won us the title? Debatable, but we would have been better. Suarez would have been the difference maker though. I'd rather have signed Özil over Higuaín I think.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I don't mean to go off topic on SayYes's rubbish thread but I'd pick Suarez over any transfer we made in the last 15 years. Apart from possibly Tierney but it's close.

I don’t think we could have got him in though that summer. Once Liverpool ignored the clause they just weren’t going to accept an offer from us.

Giant “what if” for us if they did honour it like they were legally supposed to.

We’d have probably walked the league that season, when Theo and Ramsey got injured we had no one apart from Ox who could run in behind, he’d have changed that.

Rodgers probably doesn’t make it until 2015/16 so if he gets fired that season does Klopp still end up there when he was still at Dortmund?

Suarez was never going to stay with us forever but could we get a couple of league titles before he goes to Spain?

Would Wenger retire on a high in 2015 and then Klopp comes in then?

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

I don’t think we could have got him in though that summer. Once Liverpool ignored the clause they just weren’t going to accept an offer from us.

Giant “what if” for us if they did honour it like they were legally supposed to.

We’d have probably walked the league that season, when Theo and Ramsey got injured we had no one apart from Ox who could run in behind, he’d have changed that.

Rodgers probably doesn’t make it until 2015/16 so if he gets fired that season does Klopp still end up there when he was still at Dortmund?

Suarez was never going to stay with us forever but could we get a couple of league titles before he goes to Spain?

Would Wenger retire on a high in 2015 and then Klopp comes in then?

Stop it, now.

We could of got Suarez at a similar price to Özil, then add Sanchez.... ugh.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Stop it, now.

We could of got Suarez at a similar price to Özil, then add Sanchez.... ugh.

I remember when they ignored the clause at 40+1 then Rodgers was basically saying they wouldn’t sell.

They’re a club of stubborn w*nkers and no way was John Henry selling to us after mugging us off on twitter.

Even the next season they only sold because Suarez had an agreement with them after our saga that if a Spanish team came in they’d sell and he’d tanked his value after biting Chielini in the World Cup.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

I remember when they ignored the clause at 40+1 then Rodgers was basically saying they wouldn’t sell.

They’re a club of stubborn w*nkers and no way was John Henry selling to us after mugging us off on twitter.

Even the next season they only sold because Suarez had an agreement with them after our saga that if a Spanish team came in they’d sell and he’d tanked his value after biting Chielini in the World Cup.

We could of done it man, we really could of.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

Lost Diarra, Gilberto and Flamini all in six months and didn't bring in any DMs to replace them because it would "kill" Denilson, Song and Diaby...even though none of them were DMs, only us
The situation with Diarra was created before that summer. Wenger benched him in favor of Flamster who was leaving for Milan.
Diarra turned out to be an amazing player later, and we ended up with Denilson.
A really dumb decision from Wenger

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Hamšík was a player that had all the tools to be in the elite bracket of players. Wish someone took a chance on him, there was a lot of opportunities to go for him.

Alderweireld would have been a nice buy in 2013, just finishing up at Ajax.

Tevez was also the player that everyone should have been going for that window. World class talent that had a falling out with City, ended up going to Juve for pennies.

Sturridge was a player that I admired from a far, not sure if there was any avoiding the injury issues but he went to Liverpool far too easily.

Reus would have been the big money player that everyone at the time should have been eyeing up.

Along with Griezmann and a few others, this window was there for the taking.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Reus would have been the big money player that everyone at the time should have been eyeing up.

Have to praise Reus's loyality to stay in Borussia for so long.They looked at Bayern's back since he came to Dortmund and he didn't want to go to main rival in Germany.He also rejected some big clubs that wanted him.

Think that he could be good fit for EPL.Rate him even more than Hazard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom