• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is the biggest mistake the club made that has put us in our current situation?

GDeep™

League is very weak
The only elite manger in that list is Conte and mou.

You could argue that Mou and LVG was finished before they went to man utd.

The rest are certified bums
Sarri was considered the best thing out of Italy before Chelsea got him, he’s at Juventus now.

LVG was seen more a great mind to come in and restructure the club, Rooney said he’s the best manager he’s had in many ways.

My point still stands, Stan hasn’t appointed anyone where you say “wow, this manager is a winner”. He’s had two chances since Wenger went. Liverpool owners done that with Klopp, their first appointment.

Arteta is a “develop players on a budget” type appointment. Probably the best possible appointment if you aren’t competing for the best managers.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
One of those players was later sold and we recouped the cash. The other two signings were starting for Arteta ahead of signings the new regime made over the last two seasons.

So yeah, those 2016 signings are highly questionable, but we’ve gone on to back them up with even more poor signings, you never talk about those?

Mustafi and Xhaka were starters for Arteta before the lockdown.
Sokratis has started more games than Mustafi this season. It was only the last 4-5 games that mustafi started over Sok. Even then Sok was starting at RB over Bellerin.

Besides, weren't you the one saying that the reason we finished 5th last season was because the team was improved?

It therefore meams that the signings of this regime that improved the team.

Wenger's last 4 years, our signings were terrible.

At least, the recruitment has improved, albeit slightly

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Sarri was considered the best thing out of Italy before Chelsea got him, he’s at Juventus now.

LVG was seen more a great mind to come in and restructure the club, Rooney said he’s the best manager he’s had in many ways.

My point still stands, Stan hasn’t appointed anyone where you say “wow, this manager is a winner”. He’s had two chances since Wenger went. Liverpool owners done that with Klopp, their first appointment.
Emery has actually won cups and league titles. So yeah, he's had a better career than Sarri

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Arteta is a “develop players on a budget” type appointment. Probably the best possible appointment if you aren’t competing for the best managers.
The season Wenger left, who was available?

Enrique? He was another Raul's pal.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Appointing Arteta is the best managerial decision the in has made. Getting back to the top is going to be a bumpy ride. It's going to take time.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Appointing Arteta is the best managerial decision the in has made. Getting back to the top is going to be a bumpy ride. It's going to take time.
You don’t need to tell me, he was always my first choice after Wenger if we weren’t employing a Tuchel type.

GDeep™

League is very weak
The season Wenger left, who was available?

Enrique? He was another Raul's pal.
I don’t remember tbh. You feel with Arsenal you could get any manager you want, employed or not, as long as they’re not at a rival English club or something.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

I don’t remember tbh. You feel with Arsenal you could get any manager you want, employed or not, as long as they’re not at a rival English club or something.
No top manager was available that summer.

Majority of the available names was were bums.

The only notable candidate that stood out was Max Allegri.

I'm quite happy we didn't appoint him

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Arteta has stated he knows this will take time & that he isn't going to do all this within a year. He stated he loves this club & realised the club was slipping behind & that's why he took up the position, he wants our great club to get back up where we belong. I also like how he has stated that he will make sure the players have the right attitude, if they don't & don't seem to want to be here then he will let them go without hesitation. I'll give him a good chance, won't be judging him after half a season.

GDeep™

League is very weak
No top manager was available that summer.

Majority of the available names was were bums.

The only notable candidate that stood out was Max Allegri.

I'm quite happy we didn't appoint him
Why? He’s a great manager, at Juventus he was considered the best in the world.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Not going for Klopp, Wenger should take a step away and allows Klopp to come here

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Why? He’s a great manager, at Juventus he was considered the best in the world.
He's a defensive manager that was lucky to inherit a great defensive structure from Conte.

He's Mourinho without the meltdown. He's not a bum. But I'm quite happy we didn't appoint him TBH

Edit: There was never a time a Max Allegri was considered the best in the world

Last edited:

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Not going for Klopp, Wenger should take a step away and allows Klopp to come here
I can't really blame the club for not bringing in Klopp. We were in the middle of a title challenge when Klopp became available. You can't sack your manager in the middle of a title challenge now, can you?

Liverpool were lucky that Rodgers was doing poorly. If Rodgers was well, I doubt Liverpool would have sacked him. Maybe another club would have appointed him instead. A series of random event occurred that allowed Liverpool to get klopp

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He would have been a nice stop-gap at best

Hiddink's a bit like Biesla, top manager but a bit weird.

If you are just talking about him being a possible replacement for Arsène post 2018, then yeah it's a no from me too...but as an overall coach, he is very good.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Most managers meet a messy end, Wenger was no different.

It’s weird to see this sort of posting though, considering the Wenger years were the golden period for this club.

Why not look back on the positives instead of clinging on to negatives in such a bitter way?

Wenger had a few bad years and he paid for it. As soon as the Champions League money went away, he was moved on.

Those bad years was because Kroenke and the board had too much faith in Wenger. They gave him too much support, gave Özil a dumbass contract no other club would have given, brought Auba for him when we already had spent a sizable amount of money on Laca....... we might have been in a better position right now had we moved faster to replace Wenger. The opportunity to replace him was already there in 2016/17, we just need to let him finish his contract, yet for some reason we extended his contract. What were our board hoping to achieve back then?

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Easily allowing star players to run down their contracts & join rivals. RVP, Nasri, Cesc, Sagna, Clichy, Cole all left at or close to their prime and aside from Clichy & Sagna should’ve fetched £60m+ at least. Even Sanchez was worth £60m/£70m but we were forced to accepted deadweight in exchange.

Liverpool in 2014 were in a similar position to us in 2008 but they fetched £250m in fees for Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho and upgraded the entire spine of their team.

We had an archaic business model and literally paid the price

Last edited:

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Wenger stayed too long no direspect, when better managers were available. Stan and Ivan cocked it up, no balls at Arsenal FC even now

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Complacency. Let’s be serious Arsenal and top 4 were as absolute as death and taxes. We were the quintessential fourth place joke for nearly every sport. And we took it for granted. No one took Sp**s or Liverpool seriously, why would we when you get spend stupid money on mediocrity like Soldaldo and Rickie Lambert? We didn’t realise it at the time but they were adjusting themselves for the future while we were stuck in our glory days.

Top Bottom