• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
The guy's scored like 60 goals in 90 games, and could probably continue that form for another 3-4 years. Good luck getting a replacement for that.
So do you think we should offer him Özil wages? Aubameyang has undoubted quality but I dont know if hes the type of player who lives for winning. If we give him a large final contract we might see a dip in application. We've seen this for Özil and even Walcott did it in the past. You've got to remember that he had something to prove once Emery was sacked, he was under some scrutiny during that period as well as perhaps showing his potential suitors i.e Madrid Barca etc what he has to offer.

I think Arteta needs to be 100% sure he can fit him into the system. If he is then I'm coming to the conclusion that I think we should just make this his home and hope he doesnt decline/ become less interested. Thats if he wants to stay that is, considering we offer him a bucketload of cash.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Bret Hart once said "wrestlers these days are better athletes than I am, but not better wrestlers".

Think the same applies to footballers, at least for me...stamina wise football is better than it has ever been, but I could be trained to do that...but the skill/technique of a Zidane/Bergkamp/Ronaldinho, yeah, I could never be trained to do what they do...that's why I fell in love with football, the artistry of it.

Growing up football took my breath away in a figurative sense, "How are these people doing this" , it was a sense of wonder...now football takes my breath away in a literal sense, "How are these people running for so long", now it's just kinda boring.

That's why I feel it isn't as special as it once was.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
So do you think we should offer him Özil wages? Aubameyang has undoubted quality but I dont know if hes the type of player who lives for winning. If we give him a large final contract we might see a dip in application. We've seen this for Özil and even Walcott did it in the past. You've got to remember that he had something to prove once Emery was sacked, he was under some scrutiny during that period as well as perhaps showing his potential suitors i.e Madrid Barca etc what he has to offer.

I think Arteta needs to be 100% sure he can fit him into the system. If he is then I'm coming to the conclusion that I think we should just make this his home and hope he doesnt decline/ become less interested. Thats if he wants to stay that is, considering we offer him a bucketload of cash.

Every signing and every new contract is a bit of a gamble to one degree or another. But yeah I'd offer him top wages. A regular goalscorer is the most precious commodity in football, it's a simple rule. If you have one, and don't have any obvious options to replace them, then you do everything to keep them.

We can experiment with a young coach and young players if we have a regular goalscorer helping the team out. If we're lucky, the rest of the team comes together and we win something. If we're not, well at least we have a goalscorer. Lose the goalscorer and all of a sudden you're really screwed.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Bret Hart once said "wrestler these days are better athletes than I am, but not better wrestlers".

Think the same applies to footballers, at least for me...stamina wise football is better than it has ever been, but I could be trained to do that...but the skill/technique of a Zidane/Bergkamp/Ronaldinho, yeah, I could never be trained to do what they do...that's why I fell in love with football, the artistry of it.

Growing up football took my breath away in a figurative sense, "How are these people doing this" , it was a sense of wonder...now football takes my breath away in a literal sense, "How are these people running for so long", now it's just kinda boring.

That's why I feel it isn't as special as it once was.
I can agree with this.

I just think football is way more tactical these days so flair and that kind of stuff just gets pushed to the side.

One recent Henry and Cesc podcast they were discussing that football nowadays is missing something and physicality is more important than ever now which wasn’t the case in their peak.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think we should just give Auba the contract. I suspect Auba is one of those Ibra/Ronaldo type striker that that have a late decline.

The only problem is his mentality. Would he mentally retire once he gets his big pay day?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I think we should just give Auba the contract. I suspect Auba is one of those Ibra/Ronaldo type striker that that have a late decline.

The only problem is his mentality. Would he mentally retire once he gets his big pay day?

He's playing in the PL against the likes of Salah, Kane etc. Strikers like Auba don't give up, they want the golden boot.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

He pretty much earns close to what Özil does in performances related bonuses and the like, he’s been nothing but professional since the day he has walked through our doors. I have no doubt he will continue to bring maximum effort, unlike Özil he actually grew up as an Arsenal fan.
I’d say resign him and then take whatever we can get for him in 2 seasons time or something.

If he does push for a move to win trophies than more power to him. If I was him, securing the strongest club possible most likely to win trophies would be my priority.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak

Some interesting replies in the above thread as well. I had forgotten we were unlucky to lose to Atletico under Wenger.

Get These Hands

Off of my purse !
Unfortunately the Özil situation has made us reluctant to hand out big contracts and I can't say I blame them.

We can all say Auba could bang in goals for 4-5 years, but that's just speculating. Handing a big contract to someone in their 30s is a big risk whatever way you look at it.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
surely he's bound to end up in the MLS, and the Americans are going to love him over there, so staying here for a couple more years is not going to be the end of an exciting future from his point of view, with years more of top earnings pretty much guaranteed

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Just by comparing the two names (in our example Lukaku and Auba), sure, most will agree Auba is a bigger name and more deadly in front of the goal. Does this make my team better? I would disagree with that. If I can bring a guy who will score 20-30% less goals but can help my team creating chances and makes our attack more fluent, I would rather have that player. (not saying Lukaku is that guy).
Fans and the media are focused on numbers and Auba is at the top, but if a player constantly loses the ball, if he can't connect with others and make our game click, then his numbers won't count for much as we've seen over the last 2 seasons. Things are even worse because we play him as a wide player where it's more important to have a guy that works well with others.

I'm not saying selling Auba would change things for better, but we have to plan for the season 21/22 where we finally get rid of Özil, and Laca will leave as well.

If we keep Auba that's basically killing 2 young players (Martinelli and Nketiah) and will also rule out any move for a creative wide player that we desperately need. This would also result in a massive financial loss once he leaves for free.

For me, Auba was a massive investment that didn't pay off at all even with his numbers

OSBK

Established Member
The guy's scored like 60 goals in 90 games, and could probably continue that form for another 3-4 years. Good luck getting a replacement for that.

Dont think anyone has questioned his goal output.

Salah and mane cost liverpool around 71 million combined. Both are better players for the team and score a obscene amount of goals.

GDeep™

League is very weak

What makes you say that? You just named two freaks tbh.

I would suggest it is very very rare for a guy to keep up his scoring rate past 32.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Imagine you’re Arsenal and Auba wants a big contract? You don’t give it. You probably sell now, or you use him next season just let him see deal out and leave for free at 32.

Can’t tie him down till he’s 35 ffs.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

What makes you say that? .
Well for one, his game is not dependent on physicality.

He isn't as fast as he used to be but he's still getting into goalscoring positions more often.

He has the knack for knowing where to be. That's inate. It's not something you lose with age.

Anyway, I don't have any proof that he'll play at a high level into his mid 30s, it's a just conjecture.

I may be wrong though

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Imagine you’re Arsenal and Auba wants a big contract? You don’t give it. You probably sell now, or you use him next season just let him see deal out and leave for free at 32.

Can’t tie him down till he’s 35 ffs.
If he doesn't renew, I'd prefer we let him run down his contract.

The truth is that with this Covid-19 situation, we might not get a reasonable fee for him. So it's better we keep him to his final year. Maybe he can help secure CL football...just maybe

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

Some interesting replies in the above thread as well. I had forgotten we were unlucky to lose to Atletico under Wenger.
Haven’t read the thread but I was saying last summer that it was really dodgy how they told us they won’t let players go past 2 years left without being renewed or sold and they just let Auba do it.

We could have sold him for £50+m last summer or renewed him for less money. He has our balls in his hands now.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Disagree, this is solely based around Auba being 31 next month, which in football terms is OLD.
Lol nah Özil has definitely cast a dark shadow over this Aubameyang situation.
Deep down, you know it, I know it, Arsenal hierarchy knows it, I’m sure Auba knows it, the Liverpool loving pundits know it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom