• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The club is probably sick of him, once his contract is up its hasta la vista. Our marquee signing next summer needs to be a new number 8/10.
I don't think the club will renew. He'll have to go into Messi-mode for the club to even consider extending. Even then, it will be with a significant reduction in wage

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Not really. When he moved to Real Madrid, Guardiola was asked why he didn't go for Özil and he replied he had doubts Özil could even cope physically in La Liga. Mourinho regularly subbed him off nearly every game.

Real Madrid thought he was disposable for good reason while he ended up at Arsenal rather than at a super club and Real's success post Özil is pretty evident.

Wenger actually got something of him and improved him specially that Leicester title win season but his physicality was always a doubt.

I called it here 2 season earlier that he was finished and nobody worth the bother is going to come in for him seriously during his contract situation. We should've have tried to sell that summer really.
Do you have a source for this?

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
The Athletic's James McNicholas on Özils decline

It’s clear Arteta sees Özil as an important part of his system — he’s started all 10 Premier League games since the Spaniard’s appointment in December. Alternatively, it may be that the No 10 position is important in Arteta’s system, and the German is simply the only viable option available at the minute.

If Arteta sticks to a 4-2-3-1, a contingency plan is required in Özil’s position. He’s not getting any younger (turning 32 in October), and if his data according to Smarterscout is anything to go by, is very much on the decline.

While Özil has never been a frequent goalscorer, he has been an elite chance creator for Arsenal over the years. His peak likely came in 2015-16 when he delivered 19 Premier League assists, but he has just 21 more in the near four seasons since. That’s his decline in a nutshell, but assists tell only one side of the story, as creative players can contribution to attacking play with far more than just the last pass.

The Attack Rating used below encapsulates a player’s contributions to his club’s ability to create goals, based on how well they progress the ball upfield and also get into good goalscoring positions themselves.

These stats are adjusted for the league they take place in (so players in weaker leagues don’t suddenly look like world-beaters) and compared with others across the same position (because comparing the creativity of No 10s to non-No 10s doesn’t make a lot of sense) to give a rating of how good a player is. Finally, they are put on an easy to understand scale: a score of 99 means you are the best player in your position, a score of one means you’re the worst.

ozil_attack_rating_adj-1024x1024.png

Özil’s decline is clear to see, he was once great at progressing the ball into threatening areas, but now does so far less. He’s a creative player who is no longer creating at the levels he was. Part of that is due to the players around him — you can’t win best support act in football without being surrounded by a stellar cast who help you stand out — but given it is highly improbable Arsenal completely refresh the squad, it’s fair to say Özil’s best years are behind him.
No matter what way you frame it, it’s time to move on.

From a footballing perspective it's evident he has contributed very little the past few years. However, I think his world class name was a big enough pull to help us attract top class signings, as we still had one (well-paid) star player amongst our ranks after Alexis jumped. It made us seem like a club that was still somewhat aiming to compete at the top.

I don't think anybody can deny or take away that prime Özil was a joy to watch and one of the greatest creators of the 2010 era. However those days are long gone and are unlikely to return at high level as the game has simply passed him by.

It's time for a MLS or Turkey spell where he can showcase his class and mesmerize his fans once more at a different level. I hope the love for the game will drive him to push his limits one last time as it would be a shame for a gifted soul like him to end his career like this.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Do you have a source for this?
There was an article with quotes I read back when he was at Real Madrid but searched for it. Couldn't find anything. Though there's loads of quotes by Özil saying he wanted to join Barcelona but Guardiola snubbed him.

Anyway, he'd never suit his style and could play in his system. Silva and KDB can do more than make off the ball runs and just find a final pass.

GDeep™

League is very weak
There was an article with quotes I read back when he was at Real Madrid but searched for it. Couldn't find anything. Though there's loads of quotes by Özil saying he wanted to join Barcelona but Guardiola snubbed him.
Wanted to read it myself but couldn’t find it, normally a quote like that will do the rounds.

Not saying you made it up btw.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Think when Sanchez left it became clear how much of Özil’s good seasons at Arsenal depended on Alexis. Sanchez was really our world class player. Once he left everything just dried up including for our master assist maker.

fc honka

Muller was a clear protagonist since his emergence. Klose and Gomez had their fair shair of contribution compared to Özil's impact.
Sometimes I really wonder what I am reading here.
Özils contribution was on a total different level form 2010 to 2014 than both Gomez and Klose. Klose had a good world cup 2010 yes but if you count qualifiers and the 2010 and 2014 WC, no comparison here.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Özils contribution was on a total different level form 2010 to 2014 than both Gomez and Klose. Klose had a good world cup 2010 yes but if you count qualifiers and the 2010 and 2014 WC, no comparison here.
Özil was a non-entity in that 2014 WC. But I agree he was immense in the 2010 world

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Qualifiers :lol: He did nothing in 2014

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Is it my imagination, or has he put on weight during lockdown?

Wish women would stop judging men by their appearance...what's on the inside counts too!

GDeep™

League is very weak
Özil was a non-entity in that 2014 WC. But I agree he was immense in the 2010 world
Although Özil found himself shifted out to the left of Germany's 4-3-3 formation, rather than his old role as No. 10 in previous competitions, and often found himself drifting through earlier games in the competition, the Arsenal midfielder kept his best performances for the crunch games later in the World Cup.

According to WhoScored.com, no German player made more key passes against Argentina than Özil over the course of his 119 minutes on the pitch Sunday night.

Perhaps not the box-to-box attacking midfielder that we once saw for Germany years ago, but certainly still a very good footballer who brought plenty to this side.

Grade: 7/10

“a non entity” :lol:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The Athletic's James McNicholas on Özils decline

No matter what way you frame it, it’s time to move on.

From a footballing perspective it's evident he has contributed very little the past few years. However, I think his world class name was a big enough pull to help us attract top class signings, as we still had one (well-paid) star player amongst our ranks after Alexis jumped. It made us seem like a club that was still somewhat aiming to compete at the top.

I don't think anybody can deny or take away that prime Özil was a joy to watch and one of the greatest creators of the 2010 era. However those days are long gone and are unlikely to return at high level as the game has simply passed him by.

It's time for a MLS or Turkey spell where he can showcase his class and mesmerize his fans once more at a different level. I hope the love for the game will drive him to push his limits one last time as it would be a shame for a gifted soul like him to end his career like this.
People who crunch all the data and produce stuff like this are the salt of the earth. Even more so when it backs up what lazy, clueless, blind haters like some of us apparently are, see with our eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom