• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Football purist thread

GDeep™

League is very weak
What could have been.

Such a shame he went off the rails, such a talented player. Weird how so many Brazilians fail to live up to their potential or decline so quickly. Could throw in the likes of Baptista or even Robinho as highly rated players who never quite turned out to be the world beater many thought they'd be. Maybe Robinho's a bit harsh because he had a somewhat decent career..... well until certain thins happened.
Most of them come from such poverty and have had to work so hard to make it that once they get the big European contracts, they take the foot off the gas. Which is understandable, and at times, human nature.

Adriano was an extreme case though, massive problems in life, people in his life dying at a young age which he never got over, extreme poverty and crime, could never leave behind where he came from. Again, human nature, it’s all he knows.

Most Brazilians come from the worst conditions imaginable, then from a young age they are separated from families and treated like cattle. Most aren’t going to make it in Europe, or even football.

It’s a tough gig and not the glamorous pop star type rise that I thought when I was younger and you had those images of Ronaldo, Carlos, Rivaldo, Cafu etc in adverts singing, dancing, kicking a ball around in some exotic paradise.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Greatest midfielder I've ever seen in my life time.

This man won't be popular here but one of the most aesthetically pleasing strikers of all time in his prime.

Yeah I was going to mention Iniesta next, one of my favourite players to watch, love his playing style..

Van Persie should be a popular choice because there's no doubting his technical ability or skill level.

The way he creates seperation for his shot here is just beautiful.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Obviously opinions will differ but as far as I'm concerned this is as close the world has seen to a perfect football team and perfect football, of course not quite perfect, such a thing will never be reached but when we're talking about the level of football being played by the quality of footballers this is just out of this world. Moving the ball at the tempo, the awareness, the positioning, the intelligence and of course the technical quality on display.

Yeah agreed, Barca at their best was the closest to football perfection for me, the ability on display was just insane..

I remember the first half in the 2-2 game at Emirates, at half time it was just 0-0, but I was in awe at what I had witnessed, we didn't look like we belonged on the same pitch.

Enjoyed watching Guti, whenever I could. Always liked guys who could find a pass. Back in the day I had this thing where I felt he could come and be another Bergkamp type, think Wenger tried to sign him.
Wow! Can't believe I have just heard about him today:facepalm:. Looks really really class.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐

This is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Guti.. one on one with the goalkeeper and he does a backheel assist :lol:

Last edited:

Most graceful footballer ever. I felt everything he did exuded class. My most favourite player to watch ever.
Agree. Dude had the silkiest of touches I have ever seen! I have never seen any player control a football better, change direction as fast and as easy as the man while being quite too footed!

I actually decided to follow football after I watched him play in the 98 World Cup. Back then, only La Liga and Champions League were getting aired on the only local channel we had. Even though I didn't understand much, I really loved the French team and Real Madrid and remember cutting off his pictures from any local dailies I could find and sticking them on my auto book. I was the only France supporter in my family in the World cup btw, everyone else was team Brasil so you could imagine how happy I was when they won the comp:trophy:.

I remember really wanting to play like him, but sadly I just didn't have the zeal or talent:lol:

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Most of them come from such poverty and have had to work so hard to make it that once they get the big European contracts, they take the foot off the gas. Which is understandable, and at times, human nature.

Adriano was an extreme case though, massive problems in life, people in his life dying at a young age which he never got over, extreme poverty and crime, could never leave behind where he came from. Again, human nature, it’s all he knows.

Most Brazilians come from the worst conditions imaginable, then from a young age they are separated from families and treated like cattle. Most aren’t going to make it in Europe, or even football.

It’s a tough gig and not the glamorous pop star type rise that I thought when I was younger and you had those images of Ronaldo, Carlos, Rivaldo, Cafu etc in adverts singing, dancing, kicking a ball around in some exotic paradise.

There is a good documentary/show about Tevez on Netflix, pretty much shows the conditions that Tevez grew up in/around.

'Apache' I believe its called.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Couple of Argentinians who I always loved to watch were Riquelme and Aimar.

Aimar especially in his Valencia days was a ridiculous player.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Couple of Argentinians who I always loved to watch were Riquelme and Aimar.

Aimar especially in his Valencia days was a ridiculous player.
I watched a lot of Riquelme when he got his renaissance of sorts under Pellegrini at Villarreal.

Thought he would kick on and impact Argentina but it didn’t really happen. Great ‘footballer’.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I watched a lot of Riquelme when he got his renaissance of sorts under Pellegrini at Villarreal.

Thought he would kick on and impact Argentina but it didn’t really happen. Great ‘footballer’.

Yeah very underwhelming career really considering his talent.

Remember him dominating Holland in a World Cup match, levels above anyone else on the field.

Think he just loved Boca so much though, seemed his happiest playing there.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

...probably the most exciting English player I ever watched, always wanted him to sign for us back in the day... "Frank's (Lampard) got an A level in Latin, I don't even know what Latin is" ...bit dim, but always seemed a good lad :lol:

Last edited:

Riou

Quality player and had a long shot in his locker which always helps!

His belter against England at Euro 2004 was probably the last time I was disappointed that England conceded a goal, quite liked England back then with Sol and Cash key players coming right off the Invincible season...by 2006 World Cup I pretty much hated every player starting for England, and was running around my house when they lost on pens :lol:

On Rui Costa though, great player, great hair...that Milan team was ridiculous.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

My favourite goal ever, the pass where Kaka killed Gerrard and Carragher and then that finish.

One of the most brilliant football moments ever.

Milan were absolutely brilliant the first half, looked well and truly the best team on the planet. Makes it even more incredible what ended up happening.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny

Prime Emery goal this. Ironic that Özils best performance in Arsenal came in an Emerygame. Haters will probably lock this down as a Wengerball goal, though.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Can't believe these past few weeks there's been a genuine discussion about how Zidane was overrated. Football has honestly gone to ****. People only stat machines or work-horses nowadays. It's disgusting.

Riou

Can't believe these past few weeks there's been a genuine discussion about how Zidane was overrated. Football has honestly gone to ****. People only stat machines or work-horses nowadays. It's disgusting.

Everything he did was just so beautiful...the way he moved with the ball, his little passes and touches...

...a geniue artist.

Always glad the likes of Zizou and the Brazilian Ronaldo got to play at Highbury at least once.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom