• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Can complain about Özil all we like, but the club has signed the contract, and so there is very little we can do.

This.

If any of our current employers gave us the opportunity to double our wages and do very little, I’m sure everyone would jump at that opportunity.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Arsenal fans wanted it though? We all wanted him to extend and we all wanted the club to start paying massive wages.

The streets were dancing when Özil extended.
If Sanchez hadn't of gone, Özil wouldn't be here now imo.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

You would’ve complained too then, looking at the Sanchez decline you would be saying “why did we keep Sanchez”.
All he needed was a decent rest, if it went bad for us we would have had a better chance of selling him.

Brett

Yeah, he was playing before Covid. Refused to take a pay cut and now hasn’t kicked a ball.
This. The club gave him a huge contract, not his fault. New regime wants to push him out. He is having none of it. I think he is handling it well not bad mouthed the club in the press. As far as his workrate is concerned he always had this laid back demenour. Any player needs run of games to find form.

GDeep™

League is very weak
How can someone be a leach when a contract is signed in good faith by both parties? His form fell off a cliff you can say, but the club fell off a cliff too, both parties take the this risk when they sign.

Then you have the Wenger effect, he had a man management style where he openly says Özil needed days off and even no training as once he had fitness he was good, Emery had a different style. Then for Arteta he featured HEAVILY before the pay cut issue.

Özil has done very very little wrong it seems. If anything, the club lead by Raul in recent years have tried unsavoury tactics to force him out.

Brett

How can someone be a leach when a contract is signed in good faith by both parties? His form fell off a cliff you can say, but the club fell off a cliff too, both parties take the this risk when they sign.

Then you have the Wenger effect, he had a man management style where he openly says Özil needed days off and even no training as once he had fitness he good, Emery had a different style. Then for Arteta he featured HEAVILY before the pay cut issue.

Özil has done very very little wrong it seems. If anything, the club lead by Raul in recent years have tried unsavoury tactics to force him out.

The thing is in the past I have resented the club not being cut throat. But have grown up seeing Arsenal as a club which acts with class.

I myself find myself finding my views swinging like a pendulum from one side to other.
On one side I want the club to somehow force Özil out and reshape the squad after all the club is above all. On the other hand, I find myself resenting the current setup for their cheap tactics and dealings with the likes like Kia and Raiola. I think this is a transitional time even for the fans with respect to the way we think our club should operate.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Arsenal fans wanted it though? We all wanted him to extend and we all wanted the club to start paying massive wages.

The streets were dancing when Özil extended.

This.

If any of our current employers gave us the opportunity to double our wages and do very little, I’m sure everyone would jump at that opportunity.

Sure, but the assumption from the club and the supporters at the time was he would continue to perform at the level he was in the lead up to the contract extension, no? When you get hired on and compensated at the level you’re at your employer is expecting a level of consistency in production/performance and the higher you’re paid the higher the standard typically, right?

The ink dried and he decided to (semi) retire when the club needed him most. Idiots made/continue to make excuses for Özil and try and blame Ivan and/ or club for giving to to him, but really any and all blame should go to Özil as he is the player and he is the one who decides when he feels like turning up on the pitch to which he doesn’t give a ****. For a short window, for the only time in his Arsenal career, in the lead up to the deal he showed he can be a talisman and really have an influence on performances week in week out and lift players around him. That version of Özil was streets better than any other in an Arsenal shirt and was one worth top end money as he was showing he could perform at the top end of the league, consistently, and it just came down to the player.

Most of his supporters don’t actually give a **** about Arsenal, so they don’t see/care about the disrespect of him putting his feet up while the second highest paid player in the league as the club slides down the table, but he represent so sooo much wrong with AFC that we won’t get anywhere near the top until he, and the culture he represents, are out of the club.

sdotzdot

Established Member
You’re right in the sense it was a contract with mutual consent and therefore the club were happy to commit. I’m sure they like all of us didn’t predict Özil to entirely give up once he got said contract. He’s always had inconsistency issues throughout his entire arsenal career but you always had faith that Özil would be able to provide a magical moment. Even if he didn’t as much as he should have, you always believed he had it in him. There’s no doubt since the signing of the contract hes severely declined to the point you have to question if he just stopped caring altogether.

The club have been actively trying to get rid of him and treated him badly in the process (don’t agree with the tactics but it’s what they feel is needed to force him out). I can almost guarantee you through that time we had multiple offers. There’s no way through the past 2 seasons or so no club was interested in an attempt to make a deal work. He clearly has never had any intention of leaving as his agent has been saying for a long time. He could have left and it would have been good for his career as it was very clear he was finished and unwanted here, but he didn’t.

He has no affiliation to this club other than money and i have absolutely no problem with that, if a man wants to put his family and security first I completely respect that. What I don’t respect is his constant PR spins to twist the narrative as if he’s a victim and cares about Arsenal. Already done it against Arteta first game back, grim stuff mate. He should just shut up and take his paycheques.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Don’t know why this thread is open or why people waste their time discussing him leaving. It’s been obvious for some time now that he’s seeing out his contract which ends in 2021. He’s comfortable in London, earning money he won’t get anywhere else, happy playing 10 games a season and will get a bigger deal as a free agent than he will if he moves now.

Arsenio Venger

We’ve got Özil!

tenor.gif

...we’ve got Özil

James Bond

Moderation Consultant

Then you have the Wenger effect, he had a man management style where he openly says Özil needed days off and even no training as once he had fitness he was good, Emery had a different style. Then for Arteta he featured HEAVILY before the pay cut issue.

What are you on about as you try and rewrite history here? Özil’s form fell off the cliff while Wenger was here. In fact Wenger protecting his players (especially Özil) only to be let down by them again and again with their performances on the pitch is the reason why he was sacked. Supporters weren’t interested in listening to more BS and going through the same groundhog day nonsense anymore.

Don’t try and rewrite **** and shift responsibility from the player(s) though. Özil putting his feet up on the club predates Raul and Emery. I’m not having the oh poor picked on Özil talk as anyone else who has come into the club since the mega contract dried has realized that at the end of the day they cannot depended on Mesut. The mangers since don’t have the rope Arsène had and if he couldn’t get Özil to sing, while giving him all that preferential treatment and protection, then why would they put their necks on the line trying to make it work with him?

Özil has done very very little wrong it seems. Take the Özil tinted glasses off and call it like it is.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Özil retired before Emery ever came here.

Fun fact: His last away assist in the PL is a few days before he signed his mega contract.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

boggles the mind that people are still making excuses for him.

If Özil continued showing the sort of form he showed just before he signed his contract, I don't think too many people would have complained about his massive wage, but he stopped trying after that contract and things have not been the same ever since.

Of course let's blame Emery when we all know he was playing terrible during second half of Wenger's last season.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Özil retired before Emery ever came here.

Fun fact: His last away assist in the PL is a few days before he signed his mega contract.
That assist made him the fastest to 50 assists in PL history. As usual, elite production.

He was assisting in Europe over the next year, also scoring, started well for Emery, then the Emery effect took hold and everything went wrong.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Getting rid of this lazy fortnite merchant would make my summer.
Hell, I'll take him if he showed up every fortnight. If he delivered every fortnight there wouldn't be as much frustration as from the fans

Last edited:

Arson Finger

We should try to swap Özil to Juventus for Aaron Ramsey.
Both players are overpaid and unwanted but could benefit from a change of scenery and both would fit in better with their new clubs if they were swapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom