• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Folarin Balogun (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

senna

Hopefully Arteta gets involved and changes Balogun's mind and gets him to sign. PEA is most likely off, Laca is not good enough and shoudl have been got rid off already. Only leaves Nketiah & Martinelli as long term strikers which Balogun could easily have been part of with an extension & loaning him out next season. Really does look like the people running the club have no plan.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Why not give him a good deal rather than performance based, extend his deal and loan him out? He can play and we secure his future either for a return here or for a future sale.

Even a decent loan with a few goals puts him in the 10M category player. Chelsea have made close to 100M in the last 10 years doing this with kids.

Chicago_Gunner

Why not give him a good deal rather than performance based, extend his deal and loan him out? He can play and we secure his future either for a return here or for a future sale.

Even a decent loan with a few goals puts him in the 10M category player. Chelsea have made close to 100M in the last 10 years doing this with kids.
Can’t agree more

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Why cant he go on loan and then make a decision on him. Chelsea have done it for years!!

teamsoutheast

I cannot believe this. Something clearly isn't right. He's one of our best young strikers. Strange decision to make considering this is his 1st full season in the U23's.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Why cant he go on loan and then make a decision on him. Chelsea have done it for years!!
A lot of loans end up with players sitting on the bench in favor of inferior players that are owned by the club.
If the boy can get a deal somewhere where he can develop, then he should do it. It's not his problem that we didn't have time to plan out what to do with young players at this club

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

A lot of loans end up with players sitting on the bench in favor of inferior players that are owned by the club.
If the boy can get a deal somewhere where he can develop, then he should do it. It's not his problem that we didn't have time to plan out what to do with young players at this club
Loan him to a league 1 or 2 club then champoinship club, this club needs a system similar to Chelsea.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We have the youngest first team squad in the league, and have multiple teenagers, a lot of the from the academy, that start week in week out. The timing just isn't right for Arsenal or Balogun, it happens in football.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Funny thing is we give out long contracts to gamble players like Mavrapanos and Asano then loan them out forever but don’t with our own youngsters.

Our loaning strategy has been sh*te for years, wasted years of Bielik before finally sorting him out with Charlton.

Nketiah sent to Leeds where he’d always struggle to replace Bamford because it was a favour to Vinai’s mate rather than Bristol City he’d play every week.

Sent Nelson to Hoffenheim who were in the CL that year, Gnabry to a Tony Pulis side, didn’t sort out loans for Willock last year when he probably needed one or Maitland-Niles.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Find this odd. Would have thought we could give him impressive terms for a teen and tie him down long term. Could probably do with a loan, but sad to hear that he could leave.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth Balogun or John-Jules?
Arguably Balogun is better but the margins are finer than some would have us believe.

I've seen quite a lot of Balogun (in full games too) as well as John-Jules and the truth is both are incredibly promising in their own right. Balogun just has that element of danger and excitement that just edges him out compared to other talents. He's like a mix of Mavididi and Nketiah into one player, in that he has Mavididi's dribbling and sense of adventure in possession and Nketiah's deadly movement and finishing. So naturally, people who've seen him in action are upset by this turn of events. Not to say I'm not disappointed, but I saw this coming months ago (even posted as much in the reserves forum) so I'm less amped.

That said, people aren't appreciating the nuances involved in this particular scenario. The first one being that Balogun has a LOT of competition in his position. Auba and Laca aside, he has Eddie Nketiah ahead, who not only has a phenomenal goalscoring record in his own right but has managed to translate that to senior level so far and is already scoring goals at a decent rate for someone of his level of experience. Then he has Gabriel Martinelli, projected to become a #9, who is also scoring goals at an incredible rate already at senior level. Then even further down, he has Tyreece John-Jules - a player who isn't as prolific as the others currently but arguably has the strongest all-round game of them all. That's a lot of bodies for what is essentially one spot in the team.

Add to the fact that the club really outdid themselves in stupidity by offering a performance-based contract to a prospect who hasn't even sniffed first team football yet, rather than giving him the financial incentive and a good loan pathway. So I figured this was on the cards and I'm not surprised.

I will say that as big as this loss is from a Hale End perspective, this is a loss I feel we can absorb. I think people are seriously underrating how good Eddie Nketiah can become (I'm seeing people already say Balogun is better but we don't know that yet - I'd have liked him to get a chance too but hey ho). Also, a quick word on TJJ - a potentially complete #9, is good in the air, good passer, good dribbler, great link-up play, athletic and can run channels well, and while isn't quite as prolific, is capable of scoring some really great goals. Still needs to translate more to first team football, but the promise is there. There is also Sam Greenwood, Khayon Edwards and Luke Plange among others waiting in the wings - Edwards in particular is putting up serious numbers already.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
We have the youngest first team squad in the league, and have multiple teenagers, a lot of the from the academy, that start week in week out. The timing just isn't right for Arsenal or Balogun, it happens in football.
I definitely agree! We've developed 3 CF at the academy and bought 4th from Brazil, plus there is Sam Greenwood there who would probably start asking questions in a year when is he gonna play. It doesn't happen that often that we develop any striker worth mentioning here, now, it turned out that we have like 4 of them :D

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Arguably Balogun is better but the margins are finer than some would have us believe.

I've seen quite a lot of Balogun (in full games too) as well as John-Jules and the truth is both are incredibly promising in their own right. Balogun just has that element of danger and excitement that just edges him out compared to other talents. He's like a mix of Mavididi and Nketiah into one player, in that he has Mavididi's dribbling and sense of adventure in possession and Nketiah's deadly movement and finishing. So naturally, people who've seen him in action are upset by this turn of events. Not to say I'm not disappointed, but I saw this coming months ago (even posted as much in the reserves forum) so I'm less amped.

That said, people aren't appreciating the nuances involved in this particular scenario. The first one being that Balogun has a LOT of competition in his position. Auba and Laca aside, he has Eddie Nketiah ahead, who not only has a phenomenal goalscoring record in his own right but has managed to translate that to senior level so far and is already scoring goals at a decent rate for someone of his level of experience. Then he has Gabriel Martinelli, projected to become a #9, who is also scoring goals at an incredible rate already at senior level. Then even further down, he has Tyreece John-Jules - a player who isn't as prolific as the others currently but arguably has the strongest all-round game of them all. That's a lot of bodies for what is essentially one spot in the team.

Add to the fact that the club really outdid themselves in stupidity by offering a performance-based contract to a prospect who hasn't even sniffed first team football yet, rather than giving him the financial incentive and a good loan pathway. So I figured this was on the cards and I'm not surprised.

I will say that as big as this loss is from a Hale End perspective, this is a loss I feel we can absorb. I think people are seriously underrating how good Eddie Nketiah can become (I'm seeing people already say Balogun is better but we don't know that yet - I'd have liked him to get a chance too but hey ho). Also, a quick word on TJJ - a potentially complete #9, is good in the air, good passer, good dribbler, great link-up play, athletic and can run channels well, and while isn't quite as prolific, is capable of scoring some really great goals. Still needs to translate more to first team football, but the promise is there. There is also Sam Greenwood, Khayon Edwards and Luke Plange among others waiting in the wings - Edwards in particular is putting up serious numbers already.

Sam Greenwood’s that Sunderland kid we signed a few years back right?

How’s he getting on?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Sam Greenwood’s that Sunderland kid we signed a few years back right?

How’s he getting on?
Pretty decent, although he's not been playing much as a CF, more as a technical wide player. He's got really great first touch and ball-striking capability - takes a mean free-kick aswell. My feeling though is that he will go into next season as the main #9 for the U23s. It will be a good test for him - he's an excellent technician and a very clever player but hasn't had much of an opportunity to stand out because of the amount of class around him, so this is a good chance for him to be one of the leaders next season, with what will likely be a pretty young U23 team.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Saw a small video on Twitter. Does seem more agile and more of a dribbler than both Eddie and Jules.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Saw a small video on Twitter. Does seem more agile and more of a dribbler than both Eddie and Jules.
Yeah he's the strongest dribbler of the 3. Touch and go whether he's quicker than Eddie, but Balogun has the edge as a dribbler. I think he also has a more powerful shot than Nketiah, he's got that short backlift that Wenger used to talk about.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Think it's super odd having him in first team training with Arteta getting a close look and our management not even bothering giving him the bare minimum for a teenager of his talent and age.

Can't really lose as those few millions max you'd spend would be pretty much guaranteed to be fetched when he does not make it, still..

We actually had those super weird deal makers before Huss and Raul etc, but we seem to have remained the same "weird" negotiators with a complete set of new personnel - gotta be the owners/some restrictions in management at this point.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Amaechi ****ed off and that hasn't really worked out for him. Nor has it for Mavididi up until the Dijon loan this season. I think we can manage, just hope we can get a decent fee and a sell on clause. I do think it was idiotic to offer an incentive laden contract, however it was noted that it was quite lucrative and easily attainable which begs to question the motive for the move. Seems the boy is desperate to play and would rather not go on loan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom