• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not his biggest fan but the stats don't lie, I don't think we've lost a game with him in the side under Arteta. He is definitely our best midfielder, and seems to be a very good character in the dressing room. Will defo be a starter next season in my opinion.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He is clearly a likeable guy, Auba's celebration with him showed that.

But does nobody else have a problem with him being captain after all that has happened?

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He is clearly a likeable guy, Auba's celebration with him showed that.

But does nobody else have a problem with him being captain after all that has happened?

Honestly, not really. It was an unfortunate incident, where both the supporters and player came off poorly.

But the guy clearly has a lot of respect within the club, and in my opinion seems to be maturing as a player. If Arteta feels that Xhaka should be the captain, then I back his decision.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not his biggest fan but the stats don't lie, I don't think we've lost a game with him in the side under Arteta. He is definitely our best midfielder, and seems to be a very good character in the dressing room. Will defo be a starter next season in my opinion.

That's despite, not because of him.

He's literally our only senior CM. So calling him our best midfielder is moot. The rest are either inexperienced, injury prone or both. Xhaka passes the ball a lot. That's his game in a nutshell.

He's not particularly decisive in defensive nor offensive phases but relative to the others he does provide some authority. For those wondering why we're so interested in Partey though. See this for comparison.

skysports-granit-xhaka-thomas_5028031.png

That's not even taking into account what you see with your own eyes e.g. ability to pass with either foot, physical and technical quality etc.

In every match, there are be inexplicably moments of play with Xhaka that either go unpunished, or a punished 2 or 3 phases of play later.

I'm glad he's improved under Arteta, but if we want to play CL football again, we must replace him in the summer.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That's despite, not because of him.

He's literally our only senior CM. So calling him our best midfielder is moot. The rest are either inexperienced, injury prone or both. Xhaka passes the ball a lot. That's his game in a nutshell.

He's not particularly decisive in defensive nor offensive phases but relative to the others he does provide some authority. For those wondering why we're so interested in Partey though. See this for comparison.

skysports-granit-xhaka-thomas_5028031.png

That's not even taking into account what you see with your own eyes e.g. ability to pass with either foot, physical and technical quality etc.

In every match, there are be inexplicably moments of play with Xhaka that either go unpunished, or a punished 2 or 3 phases of play later.

I'm glad he's improved under Arteta, but if we want to play CL football again, we must replace him in the summer.

Stats, especially when comparing more defensive players, have little meaning (I see deluded Man Utd fans on twitter claiming Maguire is better than VVD, with stats as a justification). Atletico and Arsenal have completely different defensive systems, with different requirements from their central midfielders. I wouldn't really pay much attention to that figure.

But don't get me wrong, I don't think he is an outstanding midfield player. I've never bought this notion that he is a 'deep lying playmaker', he doesn't have the ability to control the tempo of games mainly due to his slow feet. I think Mikel's plan eventually is to have a mobile DM (Partey) with two 8's ahead of him.

However, I do now think he is has turned himself into a competent defensive midfielder, his decision making on the ball is good, he passes the ball with pace and when the team is compact, he is a decent defender. He is a continuity player imo, a poor mans Gareth Barry. This isn't really a surprise though, the vast majority of defensive midfielders peak once they hit 27/28, it really is a position where you need experience.

Also, the fact that he is our only senior midfield player means he will be in the team next season in my opinion.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Stats, especially when comparing more defensive players, have little meaning (I see deluded Man Utd fans on twitter claiming Maguire is better than VVD, with stats as a justification). Atletico and Arsenal have completely different defensive systems, with different requirements from their central midfielders. I wouldn't really pay much attention to that figure.

But don't get me wrong, I don't think he is an outstanding midfield player. I've never bought this notion that he is a 'deep lying playmaker', he doesn't have the ability to control the tempo of games mainly due to his slow feet. I think Mikel's plan eventually is to have a mobile DM (Partey) with two 8's ahead of him.

However, I do now think he is has turned himself into a competent defensive midfielder, his decision making on the ball is good, he passes the ball with pace and when the team is compact, he is a decent defender. He is a continuity player imo, a poor mans Gareth Barry. This isn't really a surprise though, the vast majority of defensive midfielders peak once they hit 27/28, it really is a position where you need experience.

Also, the fact that he is our only senior midfield player means he will be in the team next season in my opinion.
He is not a DM, he is a DLP.
Not a Barry type of player, more like Huddlestone.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Let's agree to disagree.
That's why people thinks xhaka is incapable.
They are judging him of what he is not.

As if they think Gerrard is a good midfielder, that he is mobile, strong, pacy.....Alonso don't have these quality so Alonso must be ****.
But in fact alonso is more clever with the ball, his long pass is much better, decision making is better, dictating tempo......

Xhaka is not that good, and i would like Tonali to replace him. But compare him to what he is not is unfair to him. They always use that British type of midfielder (hoof ball brainless) standard to judge other types of midfielders. I'm pretty sure everyone of xhaka haters hates Tonali too because of his playing style.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
All the replacement fantasies here :rofl:

Meanwhile Mikel Artera once again showers him with praise in the post match interview and considers him vital. he’s not the only one with the praise as well.

ALzdUjerEtMUsJkZcw7MJbY5eJldj7xNN-41WCmSkGs.jpg

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That's why people thinks xhaka is incapable.
They are judging him of what he is not.

As if they think Gerrard is a good midfielder, that he is mobile, strong, pacy.....Alonso don't have these quality so Alonso must be ****.
But in fact alonso is more clever with the ball, his long pass is much better, decision making is better, dictating tempo......

Xhaka is not that good, and i would like Tonali to replace him. But compare him to what he is not is unfair to him. They always use that British type of midfielder (hoof ball brainless) standard to judge other types of midfielders. I'm pretty sure everyone of xhaka haters hates Tonali too because of his playing style.

Deep lying playmaker is just a term, at the end of the day Xhaka's position is the deepest player in the midfield, whether that be in a double or single pivot, so therefore in my eyes he is a 'defensive midfielder'.

Stylistically, he isn't a 'deep lying playmaker' for me because he lacks agility and struggles to play at different angles, everything has to be in front of him. I compared him to Barry because of the traits he has (mentioned in an earlier post).

Recently, the best teams around have had a mobile player in this position, think Casemiro, Fabinho and Fernandinho. This is why the club is rightfully after Partey, who would be an amazing signing. The plan in my opinion is to eventually move to a 433, with Partey at the base, but don't think we'll be able to achieve that next season as we don't have the number 8's to play that formation.

Regarding Tonali, I've never seen him play so I can't really comment. But if he is a player that plays deep in midfield, behind the ball, I'd steer clear, Partey is the one.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Deep lying playmaker is just a term, at the end of the day Xhaka's position is the deepest player in the midfield, whether that be in a double or single pivot, so therefore in my eyes he is a 'defensive midfielder'.

Stylistically, he isn't a 'deep lying playmaker' for me because he lacks agility and struggles to play at different angles, everything has to be in front of him. I compared him to Barry because of the traits he has (mentioned in an earlier post).

Recently, the best teams around have had a mobile player in this position, think Casemiro, Fabinho and Fernandinho. This is why the club is rightfully after Partey, who would be an amazing signing. The plan in my opinion is to eventually move to a 433, with Partey at the base, but don't think we'll be able to achieve that next season as we don't have the number 8's to play that formation.

Regarding Tonali, I've never seen him play so I can't really comment. But if he is a player that plays deep in midfield, behind the ball, I'd steer clear, Partey is the one.
According to the traits, he is the hiddlestone/carrack/xavi type. Because his tactical function is distributing long pass and control the game with passing, instead of a tackling machine ball winner who is defensively focus (the flamini, makelele, gattuso type).

Which if we replaced him with a slightly more mobile but same type of player like Tonali, I will be very happy. And that’s why he needed his gattuso (partey) next to him. Because xhaka is not the gattuso type and partey will focus on the defensive work letting Xhaka to shine in his passing.

Last edited:

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
According to the traits, he is the hiddlestone/carrack/xavi type. Because his tactical function is distributing long pass and control the game with passing, instead of a tackling machine ball winner who is defensively focus (the flamini, makelele, gattuso type).

which if we replace him with a slightly mobile but same type of player like Tonali, I will be very happy with. And that’s why he needed his gattuso next to him. Because he is not gattuso.

Xavi was a different type player to those you just mentioned, he played higher up the pitch.

And it isn't an either or lol, the deepest midfielders job is to do both pass and defend.

There is absolutely no guarantee that a kid coming from Seria A would be successful as a first team starter for a top 6 premier league club.

Partey is the one, but if we cant get him, go for a similar profile. We desperately need some athleticism in the middle of the park, and have done for about 15 years.

Aevi

Hale End FC
He's much better than given credit for, the idea that he "has no strengths" has always been silly. For all the criticism we've given him, the way Wenger, Emery, and Arteta have all praised and continuously played him should be enough to show there is something there that maybe we just don't fully understand as fans of the game.

He used to be a red card magnet and he's dropped that habit. He used to make a lot of silly mistakes and if we're being fair, he makes less of them now. The results meanwhile speak for themselves; the difference in result with/without him in the side is drastic. We're 1-2-5 without him in the league this season, that's 5 points out of a possible 24. And that wasn't just in games against big sides (Chelsea, Man City), but also smaller ones (Brighton, Burnley, Southampton...).

I don't think we need to ignore his shortcomings, but in light of some strong performances under Arteta, we'd do well to look at these games for what they are and not let past frustrations taint our view of him when it isn't needed. I feel like some are acting as if there is no going back for him, why can't there be? He's growing as a player imo, and if he continues to do so, we'd be thick not to recognize that.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Some stats

https://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal...influence-our-strongest-midfield-combination/

Granit Xhaka
  • Minutes played: 2096, 25 starts
  • Total completed passes: 1582
  • Percentage of forward passes: 30%
  • Percentage of backwards passes: 14%
  • Pass completion percentage: 88%
  • Times dispossessed: 11
Matteo Guendouzi
  • Minutes played: 1748, 19 starts
  • Total completed passes: 1152
  • Percentage of forward passes: 27%
  • Percentage of backwards passes: 16%
  • Times dispossessed: 21
Lucas Torreira
  • Minutes played: 1372, 15 starts
  • Total completed passes: 813
  • Percentage of forward passes: 25%
  • Percentage of backwards passes: 19%
  • Times dispossessed: 9
Dani Ceballos
  • Minutes played: 1251, 13 starts
  • Total completed passes: 888
  • Percentage of forward passes: 24%
  • Percentage of backwards passes: 17%
  • Times dispossessed: 22

Last edited:

Manberg

Predator
Xavi was a different type player to those you just mentioned, he played higher up the pitch.

And it isn't an either or lol, the deepest midfielders job is to do both pass and defend.

There is absolutely no guarantee that a kid coming from Seria A would be successful as a first team starter for a top 6 premier league club.

Partey is the one, but if we cant get him, go for a similar profile. We desperately need some athleticism in the middle of the park, and have done for about 15 years.

Xavi played in the middle. He had Busquets behind him in a midfield three, with Iniesta in front. With a new Busquets type signing (preferably one focussed on more physical attributes), Xhaka can be our Xavi.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Xhaka is just a DM, All this deep-lying playmaker, regista, destroyer, mezzala etc its all semantics. P.S I don't know Italian.

Saying he's a Deep lying playmaker is nonsense. A DLP is a creative midfielder, they just play deeper. It's in the name. They often create big chances from long balls over the top. Yes, Xhaka can switch the ball but he rarely creates goal-scoring chances from deep. Most of time he switches the ball out wide to whoever is in space. His passing doesn't continuously break lines or destabilise a defence. If Xhaka were so creative, why does Arteta actively choose to create from out wide and not through the centre with Xhaka?

Who here rates Xhaka higher Partey though? I would like a genuine explanation as to why and where you rate him to other DMs in the league, I don't think he is top 6 level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom