• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Well, you don't force out a player who wants to play. Hence the over reaction.

As long as he trains and attends the games, you cannot assume he doesn't want to play.

This is opposite to the Cesc and Kos situation when the guys just stopped training.

As far as getting him motivated, i think we need to get into more important competitions and everyone would get motivated (him included). He has partially downed tools because of his fights with the board, and I think once he we start playing regularly everyone should forget these events slowly.
I must admit I have no clue what Özil wants and doesn't want. One thing seems clear though is that Arteta doesn't feel playing him is top priority. And if you have a player making 350k a week and isn't playing, he has to be moved on. 350k is just way too high costs to just carry for nothing. If we can scratch back say 50k a week and say they should walk over glass to make it happen.

If a player doesn't want to accommodate a move than I think the club should do what is needed and within their rights to try to move the player on. I am not sure what levers we have that we can pull, but I think the club should get busy. Unfortunately it looks like they do not have a lot of leverage and he will run out his contract leeching the last penny out of the club. Money we really need to pay and sign other players.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Well, you don't force out a player who wants to play. Hence the over reaction.

As long as he trains and attends the games, you cannot assume he doesn't want to play.

This is opposite to the Cesc and Kos situation when the guys just stopped training.

As far as getting him motivated, i think we need to get into more important competitions and everyone would get motivated (him included). He has partially downed tools because of his fights with the board, and I think once he we start playing regularly everyone should forget these events slowly.
I dont think he really cares whether or not he plays. He's quite comfortable with his big pay cheque. A player who wants to play will put in the effort. He would have complained about getting game time by now. Honestly don't think he has that love for football anymore.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Unfortunately it looks like they do not have a lot of leverage and he will run out his contract leeching the last penny out of the club. Money we really need to pay and sign other players.
I have argued about this since day one: we need to stop thinking about these things if we want to become a big club again.

We need more big players. big players cost big money and earn big contracts. Some of them will not work out, and some only partially so. We need to stop penny pinching and just get on with it.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
I must admit I have no clue what Özil wants and doesn't want. One thing seems clear though is that Arteta doesn't feel playing him is top priority. And if you have a player making 350k a week and isn't playing, he has to be moved on. 350k is just way too high costs to just carry for nothing. If we can scratch back say 50k a week and say they should walk over glass to make it happen.

If a player doesn't want to accommodate a move than I think the club should do what is needed and within their rights to try to move the player on. I am not sure what levers we havet that we can pull, but I think the club should get busy. Unfortunately it looks like they do not have a lot of leverage and he will run out his contract leeching the last penny out of the club. Money we really need to pay and sign other players.
Raul Sanllehi, from the moment he has taken over from Gazidis has already tried everything to move Özil on.

Benching him, not supporting him in the Uyghur „controversy“, leaking his name to the press for refusing to take a pay cut and more. He has dragged his name through the mud, just like it happened to our former captain and well respected player, Laurent Koscielny.

But you can‘t force a player to leave if he doesn‘t want to. He‘s fulfilling his contract, training, and being available for selection when he‘s not injured. It‘s up to the coach then to decide if he wants to play him or not, but you can‘t do more to force him to move.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I notice he no longer tweets before or after games, when he was the first to do so before Covid

I think he's mentally given up caring

musoke

On his day, he was on a level that, since RVP, no Arsenal player has touched (bar Alexis, whose ‘16-‘17 was one of the finest in our shirt) since.

That era’s long, long passed though, and frankly it’s embarrassing how quickly Özil has fallen off given he was never reliant on pace, physicality, etc.
Am i missing something here or are people just making up things? I see a lot of revisionism. Özil have been a very divisive figure going back to that game that we lost 6-3 to Man city in his first season here. I remember Mertesacker telling him off in front of everyone for not applauding the travelling fans after our team had embarrassed us that day. And Özil was one of the poorest players in that game. He just seemed to be going through the motion throughout the whole game, hands in the air complaining all the time.
Then it happened against Bayern where we got spanked and Özil was going through the motions. Strolling about, arms in the air like the whole world was against him.

I just realised he was going to be a big problem to manage. Too much ego and pride in himself.

And people saying how Özil was so good / world class from 2013-17. What?

@Jury and others have been pointing out these same problems about Özil that most people are now just accepting. It goes as far back as the 2014-15 season if i can remember correctly. I have been a reader of this forum but never joined to comment until recently. But the likes of @Jury were labelled at Haters, anti-Özil, lack football knowledge etc just because they wanted more from Özil.

Again. Where do people get this revisionism about Özil being amazing between 2013-17?
He had a good half season 2015/16 but by December he was back to his old self. I can remember the #“Nobody’s Safe’# in 2015-16. Lol. That’s about it. Then he had a few good games between the end of October to start of November 2017. That’s about it for his Consistency.

To me Özil has been such an underwhelming and underperforming signing. And i think he will be mostly remembered for the wrong reasons as an Arsenal player now.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Am i missing something here or are people just making up things? I see a lot of revisionism. Özil have been a very divisive figure going back to that game that we lost 6-3 to Man city in his first season here. I remember Mertesacker telling him off in front of everyone for not applauding the travelling fans after our team had embarrassed us that day. And Özil was one of the poorest players in that game. He just seemed to be going through the motion throughout the whole game, hands in the air complaining all the time.
Then it happened against Bayern where we got spanked and Özil was going through the motions. Strolling about, arms in the air like the whole world was against him.

I just realised he was going to be a big problem to manage. Too much ego and pride in himself.

@Jury and others have been pointing out these same problems about Özil that most people are now just accepting. It goes as far back as the 2014-15 season if i can remember correctly. I have been a reader of this forum but never joined to comment until recently. But the likes of @Jury were labelled at Haters, anti-Özil, lack football knowledge etc just because they wanted more from Özil.

Again. Where do people get this revisionism about Özil being amazing between 2013-17?
He had a good half season 2015/16 but by December he was back to his old self. I can remember the #“Nobody’s Safe’# in 2015-16. Lol. That’s about it. Then he had a few good games between the end of October to start of November 2017. That’s about it for his Consistency.

To me Özil has been such an underwhelming and underperforming signing. And i think he will be mostly remembered for the wrong reasons as an Arsenal player now.
100% this mate

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude

Notice I said "day" and not "season." He's been wildly inconsistent, even during his 'good years,' here.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

I knew I wasn’t going nuts... They tried to gaslight the **** out of me... Cruel, mental torture I had to endure. Weaker men would have crumbled and hopped back on to Mesut’s balls for the easy ride, but I had to make a stand. This thread is now my refuge shelter thanks to posters like you—the safest place on the forum for me. Our Özil thread. Our playground :drool:

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Nobody posts more about him than you and your gang of cronies. You’re always on his nuts mate.
post covid..suddenly he gets dropped..and people pretend its for footballing reasons...and then want him to fight for his place and the love of football.

The german team and media hounded him, but he didnt break....so im sure some weirdos on an internet forum with an agenda are going to do much. Buy out his contract , play him or shut up.

They went after Xhaka and Mustafi also ...and look today both players are the spine of the team..Arteta is building from the back and making us solid...even Pepe gets left out because of that and Auba has to play on the wing.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Worries me that Ornstein thinks he'll be here next year. It's great that everyone agrees we should sell him, or buy out his contract, or just drive him to Skegness and leave him there, but it's all in our heads. In reality how does he actually leave this summer? Everything still suggests it's not possible and he'll run down his contract.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

The german team and media hounded him, but he didnt break....

Absolute 100% BS! He was rightly criticized as was the rest of the team for a real stinker of a tournament. But nothing was untoward in what was said and written.

Being subject to harsh criticism comes with the territory being a German national team player. You should have seen how they were dragged through the mud by the German press for how they played at the start of the 1982 WC tournament. They were called all kinds of ****. What the 2018 team had to listen to was nothing compared to that.

Özil is just to ****ing precious to take the critique, suck it up and get on with his job and perform. I will be so happy when he leaves. Hope fan boys like you leave then also! We can then finally be Arsenal fans!

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Absolute 100% BS! He was rightly criticized as was the rest of the team for a real stinker of a tournament. But nothing was untoward in what was said and written.

Being subject to harsh criticism comes with the territory being a German national team player. You should have seen how they were dragged through the mud by the German press for how they played at the start of the 1982 WC tournament. They were called all kinds of ****. What the 2018 team had to listen to was nothing compared to that.

Özil is just to ****ing precious to take the critique, suck it up and get on with his job and perform. I will be so happy when he leaves. Hope fan boys like you leave then also! We can then finally be Arsenal fans!

nah that was racist dogwhistling...and something was seriously wrong with German FA ... they left out Sane ffs.

And you calling me a fan boy is the same lowgrade gutter filth trash talk fueled by hate, that the german media did on a larger scale. so shove it.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Excellent post mate! Lot of revisionism going on. Özil was in for criticism from that start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom