• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
its a controversial statement. But Giroud at his worst is better than Lacazette at the moment and it would make room for Martinelli, Saka, Nketiah and Pepe.

Anyway it won't happen and was more a passing thought on what options we have. If we keep Aubameyang great if we sell him we need to replace him. Dembele is a long term solution someone like Giroud is a stop gap to allow these other players from to grow.
Only reason for Giroud to come back is that song. Miss that.

Agree with you a player of his ilk is something we need. I like this McBurnie from Sheffield. A fighter that can turn things around. Technically decent as well, great finish the other day.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Henry had technical ability with him, and he was a smart player, which when his physical side drops with age, he could still rely on other things.
Aubameyang is a smart player too (although Henry was on another level) but he really didn't have that technical ability to help him out if his pace drops.
And at which level was Henry performing well at that age?

Henry had back injuries that slowed him down a lot. Auba has never had a serious injury in his career to my knowledge. The guy is a top class athlete. I'm very confident he will still be at a high level for at least another 2 years.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

couldnt care if Aubameyang is 55 or 25 as long as he produces the goods.

This idea that we need to sell on as well is silly. It's a Wenger notion that stopped us retaining players like Pires once they reached a certain age. Age didn't stop Chelsea or City or United or Madrid or Barcelona or Bayern handing contracts to older players that done the business.

If the player is good enough they are good enough. Not every player needs to be sold.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

couldnt care if Aubameyang is 55 or 25 as long as he produces the goods.

This idea that we need to sell on as well is silly. It's a Wenger notion that stopped us retaining players like Pires once they reached a certain age. Age didn't stop Chelsea or City or United or Madrid or Barcelona or Bayern handing contracts to older players that done the business.

If the player is good enough they are good enough. Not every player needs to be sold.

Don’t think the issue should be sell him or extend him.

For me the ideal option is letting him leave on a free next summer rather than giving him another three years after that.

If we can sell Lacazette this summer we can buy a new striker next year to go with Nketiah when he’ll be 22.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Fastest to 50 goals with a really really poor midfield, quite the achievement. And being played out of position.

You could say we've held Auba back to accommodate an inferior CF just because we paid £52m for him. Its like buying an unreliable car but still attempting to drive to work every day just because you paid a lot for it. Meanwhile your Audi A8 sits parked on the curb and your boss is asking why are you late every day!

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Don’t think the issue should be sell him or extend him.

For me the ideal option is letting him leave on a free next summer rather than giving him another three years after that.

If we can sell Lacazette this summer we can buy a new striker next year to go with Nketiah when he’ll be 22.

I see where you're coming from but I wonder if not extending him, but forcing him to stay would cause a drop in his performance. If it was me and I wanted to either stay and get the bag or move and get the bag but my club did neither and made me stay I probably wouldn't be happy at all.

He'll be another year older next season so might be unlikely he gets the contract offers he would this season, and he'd know he really isn't part of the plan Mikel wants to go forward with so why should he play?

For me, especially if the reports are true 50K a week extra isn't much, sell Lacazette, give Auba a contract and bring in the next big striker next season if Eddie isn't cutting the mustard.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I see where you're coming from but I wonder if not extending him, but forcing him to stay would cause a drop in his performance. If it was me and I wanted to either stay and get the bag or move and get the bag but my club did neither and made me stay I probably wouldn't be happy at all.

He'll be another year older next season so might be unlikely he gets the contract offers he would this season, and he'd know he really isn't part of the plan Mikel wants to go forward with so why should he play?

For me, especially if the reports are true 50K a week extra isn't much, sell Lacazette, give Auba a contract and bring in the next big striker next season if Eddie isn't cutting the mustard.

His contract is loaded with fat bonuses. His appearance and goal clauses alone are huge.

If he sulks and refuses to play he’s leaving huge amounts of potential money on the table before having to negotiate a contract with a new team.

Also if he doesn’t ball out, at 31 that could massively affect the contract he gets next summer.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Both of our wing forwards are playing very narrow with a central striker droping deep to collect the pass. As far as I'm concerned Auba is already playing the central role by utilising this part of the pitch. Starting from a more wider areas enables him to exploit his intelligent movement thus creating space for the overlapping wingbacks. If he plays a more strict CF position he's less impactful as there is less space to attack with his movement.

I really like how Arteta has defined his role, I think he can score 30 in the league if we can sort out the midfield.

Agreed 100%. The Auba is being underutilized at LW line is played out, especially during the Arteta era. He's not really buried all the way down at the flank, he's always enabled to move centrally.

Serious question: is Aubameyang capable of playing as a CF in Arteta's system?

He is, but I don't think he needs to. Martinelli and Nketiah are capable starters at CF, I think we need to give them a run as our CF duo next season.

Last edited:

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Henry 5 times
Aguero 5 times
Kane 4 times
Shearer 3 times
Van Nistelrooy 3 times
Hasselbaink 2 times
Suarez 2 times
Fowler 2 times
Tevez 2 times
Salah 2 times

That’s the company he’ll join if he bags another league goal this season, 20+ goals in consecutive seasons with the same team.

Salah could make it 3 consecutive seasons, and Mane might join Auba if he goes on a run. Aguero could have become the first player in history to score 20+ in 6 consecutive PL seasons at one club if he didn’t get injured.

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I think Auba is now at least 70/30 in favour of joining a side that is challenging for major trophies over money. Was probably 50/50 when he joined us because we won a couple of pots. If he does leave, I’d expect it to be a top side with a decent chance of winning the CL.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Funny guy

EcExvyBWsAAnOPB

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

His contract is loaded with fat bonuses. His appearance and goal clauses alone are huge.

If he sulks and refuses to play he’s leaving huge amounts of potential money on the table before having to negotiate a contract with a new team.

Also if he doesn’t ball out, at 31 that could massively affect the contract he gets next summer.

Yeah maybe you're right, but tying him down for 3 years when he's got two elite years left is probably the best option.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Henry had back injuries that slowed him down a lot. Auba has never had a serious injury in his career to my knowledge. The guy is a top class athlete. I'm very confident he will still be at a high level for at least another 2 years.
When I talked about coutinho, I mean we should buy players at the age he was bought to Liverpool. And sell player around the age he was sold. For that, you do not only get his best year in terms of performance, you also make the most of it financially.

You could be right that Aubameyang is going to have 2 more good years. But it's just a guess. I will bet on a player to sustain his top level at 26-28, rather than betting on a player who will sustain his top level at 32-34. So the risk is higher. And even if he could sustain that level of performance, what after? No re-selling value.

Again, you don't pay more for something that is going to drop in it's intrinsic value. In the stock market it's ups and downs. You could take a bet and get something out of it. But for athletes between 30-40, the curve will only go one direction. If you know a stock that is for definite only going to drop in value and never goes up, would you hold that stock? We have been too foolish buying high and selling low for years.

You may argue with the performance that we may get from him. But financially it's not going to be a good deal. And I don't think they are mutually exclusive. In the coutinho example, not only you can get his best years and you can also maximise financial benefits.

A small pay cut to compensate the decline in ability and the decreasing in his future re-selling value is the most logical approach if we wanted to keep him. Or better, a one year extension, with low basic salary but big bonus on each goal he scores. And if he is good, give him another year.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

When I talked about coutinho, I mean we should buy players at the age he was bought to Liverpool. And sell player around the age he was sold. For that, you do not only get his best year in terms of performance, you also make the most of it financially.

You could be right that Aubameyang is going to have 2 more good years. But it's just a guess. I will bet on a player to sustain his top level at 26-28, rather than betting on a player who will sustain his top level at 32-34. So the risk is higher. And even if he could sustain that level of performance, what after? No re-selling value.

Again, you don't pay more for something that is going to drop in it's intrinsic value. In the stock market it's ups and downs. You could take a bet and get something out of it. But for athletes between 30-40, the curve will only go one direction. If you know a stock that is for definite only going to drop in value and never goes up, would you hold that stock? We have been too foolish buying high and selling low for years.

You may argue with the performance that we may get from him. But financially it's not going to be a good deal. And I don't think they are mutually exclusive. In the coutinho example, not only you can get his best years and you can also maximise financial benefits.

A small pay cut to compensate the decline in ability and the decreasing in his future re-selling value is the most logical approach if we wanted to keep him. Or better, a one year extension, with low basic salary but big bonus on each goal he scores. And if he is good, give him another year.
Your points are valid and should be applied normally imo. With Auba in this case I think he’s an exception. Over his time here he has become more and more important for us. He’s never injured and even made captain now. Not offering him a pay raise or even a pay cut would be the same as transfer listing him. Simply not realistic.

If you look at Auba you would back him to put up the same level of performance for the next two season, when he turns 32 and 33. Only the last season is a risk imo. But what happens around him is the reason you need to keep him. Nketiah, Saka, Martinelli should mature and start to produce more. You have Pepe who should come more out of his shell now that he had a season to adapt to the PL.

Who can you buy to pick up the goals instantly if you let Auba go? I don’t think there is a realistic option out there that doesn’t cost 75M+. To me we should look at replacing Lacazette with somebody 5 years younger. Then when we milked Auba for all the goals he has to give, we have a young core of attackers that matured in his shadow, ready to go. 250k/week for 3 more years is a good price to pay for that imo.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I think £250k a week 3 years for Aubameyang is a no brainer tbh, club is stupid if they don’t do it.

Too reasonable to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom