• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If Terry hadnt slipped in 2008, they would have won their first CL, same with Gerrard slipping against Chelsea, not slipping would have brought them their first PL sooner. If Koscielny hadnt slipped in the League Cup final we would have ended our trophy drought sooner. If Henry hadnt missed the sitter we would have likely won the Champions League in 2006. These if/but moments exist in the game, so to diminish a performance based on it is foolhardy in my opinion.

We came up against a well settled side and managed them for 90+ minutes. That is completely on the team today, putting together a professional performance and it deserves all the credit its getting tonight, so no need for us to calm down at all.

You are correct, there are fine margins in football. However over the course of a season, these things tend to come and bite you.

I am not knocking Mikel or the players, he set them up well to counter Wolves. But lets be honest, we barley sustained an attack all game, and on another day that game easily ends a draw.

Mikel knows this however, I have full faith that this guy will get us back to being competitive. From what he has shown so far, he deserves proper backing in the summer, with midfield being a priority.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
You are correct, there are fine margins in football. However over the course of a season, these things tend to come and bite you.

I am not knocking Mikel or the players, he set them up well to counter Wolves. But lets be honest, we barley sustained an attack all game, and on another day that game easily ends a draw.

Mikel knows this however, I have full faith that this guy will get us back to being competitive. From what he has shown so far, he deserves proper backing in the summer, with midfield being a priority.

If you're 1 nil up against a defensive side its one thing to sit deep and absorb the attacks. I imagine we would've pushed out quick and gave more support to the attacks if we were 1 nil down or drawing. Our team is still building confidence especially way from home and have barely played together in this kind of setup. If this is the level they'll produce in a year id be very worried but given where we were this is so much better. We are better at holding on the ball, and passing out from the back than we were and hopefully we'll be better the next day.

2 of our best counterattacks ended when the ref failed to blow clear fouls on our players. Then for the last 15 minutes we started finding spaces and holding on to the ball again.

I get what you're saying about the small things and but I think we did more than edge it today, but pressure, closing down, hard work and not giving space helps reduce the risk. Like would you say they issed any sitters, I only saw some half chances that we would miss time and again.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

3 of them were away games too. Remarkable
What? That’s right too, you’re killing me man!

Tbh I could get used to this 5-2-3 too. Defense is more solid, we can play out the back much better with David Luiz central. Saliba is used to playing in a back three at ASS. Tierney is clearly balling out going up and down the left flank. All we would need is a leftfooted centreback (perhaps Mari?) and a much more mobile CM than Xhaka. Arteta could turn it into his signature machine.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If you're 1 nil up against a defensive side its one thing to sit deep and absorb the attacks. I imagine we would've pushed out quick and gave more support to the attacks if we were 1 nil down or drawing. Our team is still building confidence especially way from home and have barely played together in this kind of setup. If this is the level they'll produce in a year id be very worried but given where we were this is so much better. We are better at holding on the ball, and passing out from the back than we were and hopefully we'll be better the next day.

2 of our best counterattacks ended when the ref failed to blow clear fouls on our players. Then for the last 15 minutes we started finding spaces and holding on to the ball again.

I get what you're saying about the small things and but I think we did more than edge it today, but pressure, closing down, hard work and not giving space helps reduce the risk. Like would you say they issed any sitters, I only saw some half chances that we would miss time and again.

I agree, it's a step in the right direction, but there is a long way to go.

Arteta knows this, I hope we get the right players in for next season. If we do I can see us progressing quickly.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Feeling pretty good about my lobbying for him pre-Emery hire right now :lol:

Genuinely think this man will become a top class manager. The way he played as a player screamed footballing intelligence, and that does translate. His ability to motivate was the question mark for me but he's seemingly done brilliantly so far.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
The most important and telling words from Arteta in his post-match interview: "they enjoy to suffer together".

I initially thought he'd use these remaining games to practice his preferred tactics and formation in preparation for next season, but that was naive. He's using these games to further gain collective belief from the squad, but more importantly he's using them to get points.

I'm sure Arteta has a way he wants to play, but he's not here to play Fifa. He knows that the money from European football is important to the club and he knows we have to get the points. He's just trying to do what he can with the tools given to him.

European money and collective buy-in, that's his goal in the next few weeks.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The most important and telling words from Arteta in his post-match interview: "they enjoy to suffer together".

I initially thought he'd use these remaining games to practice his preferred tactics and formation in preparation for next season, but that was naive. He's using these games to further gain collective belief from the squad, but more importantly he's using them to get points.

I'm sure Arteta has a way he wants to play, but he's not here to play Fifa. He knows that the money from European football is important to the club and he knows we have to get the points. He's just trying to do what he can with the tools given to him.

European money and collective buy-in, that's his goal in the next few weeks.

And probably to figure out who isn't in it for the long haul. Guendouzi already identified apparently.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
What? That’s right too, you’re killing me man!

Tbh I could get used to this 5-2-3 too. Defense is more solid, we can play out the back much better with David Luiz central. Saliba is used to playing in a back three at ASS. Tierney is clearly balling out going up and down the left flank. All we would need is a leftfooted centreback (perhaps Mari?) and a much more mobile CM than Xhaka. Arteta could turn it into his signature machine.

The solution at Arsenal has always been to tell the DM that he is a centre back ...or the CB that he is a DM and thats basically the difference between 3-4-3 and 4-3-3

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Feeling pretty good about my lobbying for him pre-Emery hire right now :lol:

Genuinely think this man will become a top class manager. The way he played as a player screamed footballing intelligence, and that does translate. His ability to motivate was the question mark for me but he's seemingly done brilliantly so far.

also when most of our Stars were agitating to leave or demanding higher wages or wanting to play forward...he adapted his game to DM, asked for a move TO arsenal and took a wage cut to do so. And he did it after the 8-2 in the year of the trolley dash. Today he is our manager, and the other buy of the trolley dash, Per is the academy head.

People dont remember, but we were very close to collapse then...and somehow with bits and pieces and cheap buys, Wenger rebuilt the ship.

May turn out to be the best Wenger signing ever.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
also when most of our Stars were agitating to leave or demanding higher wages or wanting to play forward...he adapted his game to DM, asked for a move TO arsenal and took a wage cut to do so. And he did it after the 8-2 in the year of the trolley dash. Today he is our manager, and the other buy of the trolley dash, Per is the academy head.

People dont remember, but we were very close to collapse then...and somehow with bits and pieces and cheap buys, Wenger rebuilt the ship.

May turn out to be the best Wenger signing ever.
I wonder if he and Wenger keep in touch -I doubt either would say a word if they were, but their past history surely makes it highly probable

LG10

He’s more simeone than Guardiola to me and that’s exactly what we need. His most impressive performance so far.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
He’s more simeone than Guardiola to me and that’s exactly what we need. His most impressive performance so far.
No he isn’t. Our squad filled with bums is forcing him to be. Even then we've been offensively fluid in patches

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

How would you define attacking and defending tactics?

1) Is it a feel that in the games we played, a lot of times we are in our own half defending?

2) And whenever we attack, they are mostly counter attack that starts from our own half?

Take it on face value, yes, it looks like a defensive tactics.

But what actually happened is, we failed to attack because we do not have sufficient technical ability in our attacking players. So once we failed to keep the ball up front, we go back to defensive phase.

No matter how attacking arteta tactics is, if we failed in our attacking phase, we would transit into our defensive phase, or what should we do? Not defending, waiting for the opponent to score?

Last edited:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom