• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

If I remember correctly lots of people wanted him to take over here. That would have been fun :lol:
God help us if he had. We would have been so ****ed! Thankfully we got Arteta so there is hope.

I am still surprised that names like Mourinho and Löw came up. Beyond me, but hey, that is what the internet is for, to give crazy a platform...

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Yes yes downplay it, don’t mention the high ranking DFB officials or journalists. Classic.
Guess you read the German tabloids more fervently than I ever have...

If some DFB officials or journalists said or wrote what was quoted above (and you wanted me to read) I hope they were taken to task for it. But since it wasn’t you quoting but someone else, I shouldn’t take you to task too much.

To be honest I doubt a DFB official could have said or written any of the more egregious comments quoted, but since it was “some people” who knows who said what.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

play the ball not the man. Do not attack me. Shove it.
Pretty rich after writing this is response to one of my posts: "And you calling me a fan boy is the same lowgrade gutter filth trash talk fueled by hate, that the german media did on a larger scale. so shove it."

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Racism in any form is of course abhorrent and we should all work together to eradicate. It comes in many guises and levels. Even during the Covid lockdown a narrative has been spreading in the UK that people from certain communities were not observing social distancing.

“Id card German/plastic German” > this comment was made by the NPD, an ultra nationalist extreme right wing group who have a history of disgraceful attacks on players representing the national side who do not “originate” from Germany

“Turkish pig” > Özil said German fan said this to him after a poor result. I have no reason to doubt Özil as you could easily imagine a tiny knuckle-dragging minority of English fans making a similar statement to one of our black players

“piss off to Anatolia” > this was made by Werner Steer, head of German theatre, in response to the Erdogan incident. I believe his views are predominantly left-wing
Thanks for posting. I was wondering where these comments came from. I should have read your post instead of replying to the other ones. Thanks for doing the research / knowing it.

Last edited:

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
AM when Özil leaves & this thread gets locked.
giphy.gif
We’ll find a new battleground faster than you can say “d’oh.” Prime candidates: Laca thread if/when he keeps playing like this into ‘21 and ‘22, or Auba thread on the back-end of a four year deal at Özil’s wages.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Are you not reading my posts, or are you just being lazy and/or obtuse?

But to make it simple and clear: I am sure there were racists saying things about Özil before and after the 2018 WC.

Was racism, in my view, the main reason he was criticized for meeting with Erdugan before the WC or for performing poorly at the tournament? No, I don’t think so. This does not mean that I think it wasn’t a reason for some to say or write racist things.

Hope above explains.

PS. Yes, you created a straw man argument. You just do not have the character to admit it and move on.
I'm not even arguing with you, I just asked you a question.

A strawman implies I'm shifting goalposts to detract from an original argument but my question to you was the first interaction we had. So how is that possible?:lol:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I'm not even arguing with you, I just asked you a question.

A strawman implies I'm shifting goalposts to detract from an original argument but my question to you was the first interaction we had. So how is that possible?:lol:
You must admit that your question to me was oddly phrased. You asked if I thought that racism didn’t exist. Go and read your own post. You did not ask if I thought racism had any impact on how Özil was treated but if it existed. You must admit that is a strange way to pose the question.

How could anyone with a straight face say that it does not exist in our world? Posing it like that you should expect me to react.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

You must admit that your question to me was oddly phrased. You asked if I thought that racism didn’t exist. Go and read your own post. You did not ask if I thought racism had any impact on how Özil was treated but if it existed. You must admit that is a strange way to pose the question.

How could anyone with a straight face say that it does not exist in our world? Posing it like that you should expect me to react.
Yeah I only asked it because you called someone deluded for saying that Özil's treatment by the German FA was influenced by race. So yeah the question I asked relied on you understanding the context and I thought that was clear enough. Apparently not.

Reading it in isolation I can understand where you're coming from.:lol:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I’m just glad that it’s now unanimous that he’s a greedy pile of old steaming **** and a total waste of resources. Just a bit disappointing that it’s taken this long for many to come to the conclusion. Talk about dragging your ****ing heels. You live and hopefully learn.

/thread :drool:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Yeah I only asked it because you called someone deluded for saying that Özil's treatment by the German FA was influenced by race. So yeah the question I asked relied on you understanding the context and I thought that was clear enough. Apparently not.

Reading it in isolation I can understand where you're coming from.:lol:
The actual cause for my initial comments was the following: “The german team and media hounded him, but he didnt break..” which I called out as BS. I don’t think he was “hounded”, especially from the national team itself, **** Löw even flew to London to try to talk to Özil in person, nor was it racist that he was criticized.

Clearly some across the whole German population made racist comments, but to jump to that he was singled out or hounded is just wrong in my view and it doesn’t serve victims of real systemic racism.

I think it is correct to call out and oppose racism when it takes place and is shown. The opposition to it shouldn’t though, as I think is partly the case with Özil, be used as a cloak to shield anyone from rightful and objective criticism.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Was there ever anything solid in Mesut’s racist claims from the DFB and German press (not twitter ffs) or is it a case of him saying it’s racism and his 10 billion fans agreeing? Would hate for either to be true.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I’m just glad that it’s now unanimous that he’s a greedy pile of old steaming **** and a total waste of resources. Just a bit disappointing that it’s taken this long for many to come to the conclusion. Talk about dragging your ****ing heels. You live and hopefully learn.

/thread :drool:
You're like the one guy who was claiming Rooney was past it five years too early but is now claiming it as some sort of victory now that everyone agrees when it's quite obvious.

Your L has already been dished and you ate that a couple years back g.:eek:ops:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You're like the one guy who was claiming Rooney was past it five years too early but is now claiming it as some sort of victory now that everyone agrees when it's quite obvious.

Your L has already been dished and you ate that a couple years back g.:eek:ops:
He’s been the same player for at least 5 years though. It’s you lot that are pretending he’s suddenly gone off the edge of a cliff rather than admit you were being mugged off all along. The subtle climb-down by a good few of you wasn’t worth it—all it did was prolong your embarrassment. You should have just jumped long ago, dusted yourselves down and forgot about it like a fair few others I can mention :trophy:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

He’s been the same player for at least 5 years though. It’s you lot that are pretending he’s suddenly gone off the edge of a cliff rather than admit you were being mugged off all along. The subtle climb-down by a good few of you wasn’t worth it—all it did was prolong your embarrassment. You should have just jumped long ago, dusted yourselves down and forgot about it like a fair few others I can mention :trophy:
5 years my ass.:lol:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Spot on mate. There are always big flaws in his game that his fangirls keep ignoring.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I don't see any decline in Özil's ability TBH.

He has always been the same player post Bremen.

A lot of fans are now just cottoning to it.

He's still the same inconsistent player

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Anyway, I’m bracing myself for his reintroduction and torrent of pre-assist fuelled backlash after another 5.5/10 performance. Seriously, I look forward to it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom