• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kieran Tierney: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSBK

Established Member
Thought he was great against wolves. The adama thing is something he will learn from and traore will skin every full back in the league.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Any of them catching your eye?
At the moment, not really. There's 4 U23s - Danny Ballard, Harry Clarke, Zech Medley and Mark McGuinness. McGuinness is a very good, tall defender but he's been injured a lot, Ballard is the best natural defender of the bunch IMO, a proper English CB but just came back from a serious knee injury, and Harry Clarke is an excellent modern CB but he's not the tallest (5'10 I think). That leaves Zech Medley, who seems to be the closest to first team football and while he's very tall, left-footed and very good on the ball, I think he needs a LOT of work defensively.

Tough to pick one to build on. All have ability but timing, opportunity and profile are important.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

At the moment, not really. There's 4 U23s - Danny Ballard, Harry Clarke, Zech Medley and Mark McGuinness. McGuinness is a very good, tall defender but he's been injured a lot, Ballard is the best natural defender of the bunch IMO, a proper English CB but just came back from a serious knee injury, and Harry Clarke is an excellent modern CB but he's not the tallest (5'10 I think). That leaves Zech Medley, who seems to be the closest to first team football and while he's very tall, left-footed and very good on the ball, I think he needs a LOT of work defensively.

Tough to pick one to build on. All have ability but timing, opportunity and profile are important.
Have to build on one of the outside but that’s ok, team’s filled with academy kids.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Have to build on one of the outside but that’s ok, team’s filled with academy kids.
Yeah, we've got some great individual CBs at U18 level but they're a really long way away.

I'd like us to bring in Ben White from Brighton if we go from outside, I think he's excellent. Great age (22), relatively good experience for Leeds, and just such a reliable performer. Problem is, Liverpool want him :lol:. I think if we're gonna sign a player from a relegated team, I'd look at Norwich and bring in Ben Godfrey aswell.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Daddy Raul has done it again hasn’t he?

Can’t wait to be told next season how dreadful Raul’s first transfer window at the club was when we’ve got Saliba, Tierney and Pepe all doing bits on the pitch at the same time :drool:
On paper our last few transfer windows have at least attempted to address areas that needed addressing.

Leno, Sokratis, Luiz, Saliba, Torreira, Guendouzi, Tierney, Ceballos Pepe, Mari and Soares. I think most would agree those players filled in positions we needed to improve and reflected some sort of strategy.

Some may prove to be more successful than others but it's far removed from our scatter approach to signings in years gone by which seemed more of a who fell into our laps than fill positions we actually needed.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Part of the evidence that our last transfer window was one of our best. Together with Pepe, our best outside player

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Yeah, we've got some great individual CBs at U18 level but they're a really long way away.

I'd like us to bring in Ben White from Brighton if we go from outside, I think he's excellent. Great age (22), relatively good experience for Leeds, and just such a reliable performer. Problem is, Liverpool want him :lol:. I think if we're gonna sign a player from a relegated team, I'd look at Norwich and bring in Ben Godfrey aswell.
I really don’t know them, for me if Arteta wants to play a back three I’d get Ake. Hope we unearth another gem perhaps in D this summer, we got Guendouzi 2 years ago, Saliba + Martinelli 1 year ago. Perhaps the club has one in their sights. :D

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I really don’t know them, for me if Arteta wants to play a back three I’d get Ake. Hope we unearth another gem perhaps in D this summer, we got Guendouzi 2 years ago, Saliba + Martinelli 1 year ago. Perhaps the club has one in their sights. :D
Nah, not Ake. Too on the nose (i.e. expensive) and he's not THAT good either.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think he was talking about how Traore had him beat because he didnt stop a cross coming in once when Wolves were putting on serious pressure at the start of the second half. Id say Traore nearly got sick when he saw a fresh defender coming on. He had thrown everything he had in to trying to beat us in the first half and early in the second half and Tierney was flagging. Nules came on and and the odd sprint he managed after that was tracked and shown the inside of Niles' pocket. Shows that no matter how good your first 11 is a good backup is indispensable, Tierney is a class act but he will run himself into the ground which is what we need from every player, then we can rotate where needed.

Yeah this. Building a squad with reliable options is almost as important as improving the quality in the squad.

Someone said yesterday that AMN could be our James Milner where he’s comfortable in three or four different positions and can give you solid games consistently.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth why has any CB not broken through the academy to the first team in the past 20 years?
We've not produced many good ones to be fair. The focus seemed to be on technical development for a long time. It is only quite recently we're producing what I consider to be better defenders but a lot of them haven't been tested quite yet. The club likes Medley, mostly because of his profile, but I honestly think he has more to learn as a defender. The other 3 I mentioned are all better defenders IMO (Medley is better on the ball than all of them, Clarke probably closest). Ballard's only experience so far is a bit of League 2. They all need loans and at least one full season of football IMO.

What I will say is that there's a handful of CBs coming up in the U18s real soon who are said to be very promising. Some of whom I have seen little bits of and individually they are impressive. The 5 names I know of are Mazeed Ogungbo, Zane Monlouis, Alex Kirk, Taylor Foran and Zach Awe. I've seen a bit of Zach Awe recently and he's very impressive.

As we know, development is not straightforward so nothing may come of it, but look out for those names if you hear them in the future.

Idk man, don’t judge him on the Bournemouth team, he is very talented and could do much better at a big club with a good coach.
Possibly, from an experience standpoint I think he's not a bad option but I'd like us to be a bit more creative on that front, particularly if we're not flush. Regardless of what happens with Bournemouth, they'll want a good bit of cash for Ake. We can probably get better value for money elsewhere.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I think if we're gonna sign a player from a relegated team, I'd look at Norwich and bring in Ben Godfrey aswell.
Haven't seen much of him, is he that good? Obviously it's tough to judge him given Norwich as a whole is struggling but the amount of goals conceded is concerning. Feels like it'd be difficult to judge him as a good defender given that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom