• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who is our worst defender of the Emirates era?

Who is our Worst Defender of the Emirates Era?

• Mustafi

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Kolasinac

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Silvestre

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • Santos

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • Squillaci

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • Senderos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Djourou

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Think too many people voting for Mustafi have forgotten how sh*t Silvestre was.

He was totally unplayable, watching him get ruined by Drogba in the stadium when they battered us like 4-1 at home was a personal low point.

Mustafi is frustrating because he can be excellent but will eventually meltdown. Silvestre was straight trash.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
It really makes you wonder wtf happened to our recruiting process once we moved to the Emirates as our defence has gone to total ****, I hate every name in that poll!

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Think too many people voting for Mustafi have forgotten how sh*t Silvestre was.

He was totally unplayable, watching him get ruined by Drogba in the stadium when they battered us like 4-1 at home was a personal low point.

Mustafi is frustrating because he can be excellent but will eventually meltdown. Silvestre was straight trash.

So true.
It is a toss up between Squillaci and Silvestre, but Silvestre was worse.
I still remember the complete clown show he had at that 4-1 Messi mauling at Camp Nou. This joker even managed to provide an assist for Messi.

Senderos was a mental trainwreck. If he made a mistake early on, he would dwell so much on it, that it would reflect on the whole game afterwards.

On Santos, I don't remember a lot of bad performances from him, but his shirt swap with VP at Old Trafford was truly stupid. Santos had scored a crucial equalising goal on that away day at WBA.

Tomb Bombadil

So true.
It is a toss up between Squillaci and Silvestre, but Silvestre was worse.
I still remember the complete clown show he had at that 4-1 Messi mauling at Camp Nou. This joker even managed to provide an assist for Messi.
I agree.

But it's always kind of a persecitve I think price-performance wise Mustafi is the worst. I mean something like 40m has to be one of the worst transfer business in history. But I think in Mustafi would be ok center back, I guess was a mental problem + coaching.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's Mustafi without a shadow of a doubt for me. He was literally cost us every week for 4 years, not even Squillaci/Silvestre can claim that.

The worst part is he cost £35million. At least with the others we could ship them out after a season or two.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
If you don`t consider how much we paid or how many games a player got, the worst is easily Igors Stepanovs.

Big Igor was pre-emirates stadium although I agree he was turd. The story about how his signing came about due to bergkamp winding up keown is golden.

nick gould

It really makes you wonder wtf happened to our recruiting process once we moved to the Emirates as our defence has gone to total ****, I hate every name in that poll!
It's so difficult to say who was the worst. It's very close. Silvestre, senderos, mustafi, squilacci.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Silvestre for me is actually when I started going off Wenger.

Arsenal still had pull back then and many quality players would have come for an affordable price and salary but Wenger chose him cause of his cv and availability which is very poor.

Didn't help the accusations Wenger used to get for signing French players for the sake of it too.

Man U were happy to get rid as well, it just affirmed we were losers tbh. (VP confirmed this when he went the other way when he had enough and wanted to win stuff).

He was far too gone physically and ability wise to force for a long period like we are doing with Mustafi also.

I would say Silvestre easily, was the beginning of the end.

Last edited:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Silvestre was pure banter.

I tend to never believe in conspiracy theories, but he was actually so bad that I just couldn't help myself seeing him as a ManU agent a real thought.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Silvestre was never brought in as a starter though, he was always a back up to Toure, Gallas and Vermaelen during his time here...Mustafi was bought to start with Kos.

I think their role in the team should count in this debate.

Last edited:

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
Thanks! I still remember seeing him getting ready on the sidelines and a feeling of impending doom came over me.

Him and Silvestre were accidents waiting to happen and I get the same feeling whenever Luiz plays.
The thing with Luiz is that he can play football, and he has got a great free kick, he can shoot, tackle, head the ball, but he's always good ( that should be bad ) for a complete ****-up costing us a goal.
With Squillaci he was just ****. No redeeming features. Same with Stephanovs, and of course my favourite, Djourou I remember him backing out of heading the ball a few times, because it looked like he was scared. He was ****, and a bottler.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom