• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He put in a good tactical and defensive performance and remained switched on. He couldn't control the match and add too much offensively but he did his job and it was vital.

Kav

Established Member
That performance is what i have been wanting to see from him. Hopefully he can do it more consistently, if so, there is no need to sell him and maybe we can win more silverware and a few titles along the way.

Yes i'm a dreamer.

Fallout

i'll give him credit in that he is key to our tactical stability, and he has certainly increased his level under arteta (even pre-covid).

however, from a more holistic perspective, i think our identity as a possession-based team has been eroded in the time xhaka has been with us.

i think the defensive-based, counter-attack performances we've seen recently are key to winning knock-out competitions like the FA Cup and in Europe. but to win the league, you need to control games and create a steady supply of chances for your forwards. auba has been a savior to us in terms of feeding off limited supply, but recruiting these types of strikers is not a sustainable, long-term strategy imo.

for this reason i'd sell xhaka at a decent price and bring in someone who is equally as stable tactically but who can operate better in tight spaces and help us create supply for the forwards. i'm sure these types of midfielders exist ... imo we have been setting the bar really low for a "good" midfield performance in recent years.

progman07

Established Member
I feel like we need him for 20-30 games a season, as a squad player, as he is a great role model and a decent but limited player. In games where we need more tactical solidity he can be very useful, but in many others we could do with players who connect better with the attack.

However he is part of the reason we cannot dominate teams for 90 mins, as he is slow and cannot carry the ball. We need to improve significantly in midfield, and if Ceballos grows he might as well be a better Xhaka in the future.

Still, huge thank you to him for stepping up and turning it around.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Getting booed off was the best thing to happen to his Arsenal career.

Came back different.
Yeah it’s like when people complain about fat-shaming or cancel culture. Sometimes public scrutiny and shame can change you for the better. Key word being “sometimes” though.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Getting booed off was the best thing to happen to his Arsenal career.

Came back different.
I never was a fan of the booing tbh. Telling fans to f*ck off was different though I was convinced his Arsenal career was over.

I remember when Eboue got boo’ed off the pitch and he was in tears I was pretty angry that day. I remember when Gervinho got booed off too. I hate when our fans do it. Just for the record I didn’t rate them, still don’t agree with it.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He played perfectly against City tbh we’ve repeated his deficiencies at great lengths for years now I personally don’t see the need and it’s not like he’s going anywhere.

I’m just gonna say good game and hope he keeps it up. Credit to him.

Manberg

Predator
Xhaka’s the first name on the team sheet and the last that needs replacing. He can walk in to any team in the world, he’s that good.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Xhaka’s the first name on the team sheet and the last that needs replacing. He can walk in to any team in the world, he’s that good.

Yeah, thats over the top. He's not Messi or Ronaldo or Ibra.

If you simply said he's among the top for managers that require his talents I would agree with you (And Arteta clearly wants them) but this is bollocks.

I assume this is just a reactionary comment to people acting like he would be easily replacable. (Which is bollocks as well). But don't fall into the opposite trap.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He can walk in to any team in the world, he’s that good.

giphy.gif

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

Xhaka can not defend :lol:

OnE oF ThE DeFiCieNcies aNd WeAkneSses.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
i'll give him credit in that he is key to our tactical stability, and he has certainly increased his level under arteta (even pre-covid).

however, from a more holistic perspective, i think our identity as a possession-based team has been eroded in the time xhaka has been with us.

i think the defensive-based, counter-attack performances we've seen recently are key to winning knock-out competitions like the FA Cup and in Europe. but to win the league, you need to control games and create a steady supply of chances for your forwards. auba has been a savior to us in terms of feeding off limited supply, but recruiting these types of strikers is not a sustainable, long-term strategy imo.

for this reason i'd sell xhaka at a decent price and bring in someone who is equally as stable tactically but who can operate better in tight spaces and help us create supply for the forwards. i'm sure these types of midfielders exist ... imo we have been setting the bar really low for a "good" midfield performance in recent years.

It's an interesting one, Xhaka has always been a very high volume passer with high accuracy, he consistently makes around the highest number of passes in the league, but you're right, we're a less technical team now than we were when he arrived. It's a sort of paradox.

RunTheTrap

Fine, I'll bite. I have 2 questions to ask you.
1. Are you Albanian or Swiss?
2. If someone put a gun to your head and asked you to pick between Granit Xhaka or Toni Kroos to be your starting midfielder next season to get in to top 4. Who are you picking? And you can't pick other midfielders around him. You simply have to say Kroos or Xhaka.

Manberg

Predator
Fine, I'll bite. I have 2 questions to ask you.
1. Are you Albanian or Swiss?
2. If someone put a gun to your head and asked you to pick between Granit Xhaka or Toni Kroos to be your starting midfielder next season to get in to top 4. Who are you picking? And you can't pick other midfielders around him. You simply have to say Kroos or Xhaka.

1. No
2. Xhaka

The post was a trolling attempt to antagonise the Xhaka hating agenda merchants. But I do highly rate Xhaka, that doesn't change.

RunTheTrap

There's this really good quote that I saw on Twitter on Harry Maguire and I will steal it for this post.

I think if Xhaka were your 2nd option thst means you have a really strong team but if he's first, your team has a ceiling. And that to me is why our midfield is so poor. I hate the idea of buying squad players, you either let your academy fill up the squad or you buy better players to bench the existing starter. Therefore your squad as a whole becomes stronger because that first teamer is now a suitable option off the bench. We went out and bought Torreia and Guendouzi, sold better first team players and now our midfield ceiling is one that can't create, or hold the ball for long periods. Yes I'm happy that we're winning and I do believe Xhaka is a part of that but I don't want this team to be stale. I feel like people get offended if you say Xhaka should be benched if we wanna win trophies. People compare him to Henderson of Liverpool and it's hugely unfair to the Englishman. For one he's been in multiple title fights and won one. While he's not the best technically, he more than makes up for it physically and mentally. He even led England to a semi final, not heard of since the 90s. I don't like Henderson but he's easier to fit a squad around than Xhaka is.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Credit where credit is due. Xhaka has improved over the last 9 months. His ceiling as a player is fairly low though and we should be able to do better, but when we play like we played against Man City (tight and very compact) many of his limitations are not as obvious. Artata sets up the team much sounder than under both Wenger and Emery. This helps him quite a bit.

I like that he has come back from what I thought was the end for him here at Arsenal. He put his head down and worked himself back into the squad and the good graces of the fans. That shows character and professionalism. We need more of that so hats off to him! Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom