• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
It's an interesting one, Xhaka has always been a very high volume passer with high accuracy, he consistently makes around the highest number of passes in the league, but you're right, we're a less technical team now than we were when he arrived. It's a sort of paradox.

That's a fair assessment.

However I think one of the key reasons why we went downhill in terms of being more technical, is due to the damn injury that Cazorla received on that dead-rubber game against Bulgarian farmers which we won 6-0 (October 2016).

Before that injury, Cazorla and Xhaka were forming a terrific partnership in our midfield. If you look at the highlights from the matches during that period (list below), we were dominating teams in midfield.

After the loss of opening day at home to Liverpool (in which Xhaka was not s starter), we only dropped 2 points away to Leicester. From that point on, we simply steam rollered past teams, while having a respectable away draw against a very strong PSG (led by Emery :mad: )

Here's how our results looked like until Cazorla injury

Liverpool 3-4 (L)
Leicester City 0-0 (D)
Watford 1-3 (W) - Cazorla and Xhaka were simply superb in this match.
Southampton 2-1 (W)
PSG 1-1 (D)
Hull City 1-4 (W)
Nottingham Forest 0-4 (W)
Chelsea 3-0 (W)
FC Basel 2-0 (W)
Burnley 0-1 (W)
Swansea City 3-2 (W) - Xhaka gets his first red card for a rash challenge on middle of pitch, fans get on his back
Ludogorets 6-0 (W) - Although Xhaka was eligible to play, Wenger opts for Cazorla and then this ****ing injury to Santi happens​

Soon after this, our performances start to falter quite obviously and later in that season a lack of a midfield signing in summer proved to be such a major factor to us losing the title race to Leicester.

If there's one thing I cannot forgive Wenger for, is having Cazorla play on that dead-rubber CL match against Ludo. He was already overplayed as he had a history with fatigue related injuries, and the match with Ludo was a perfect opportunity to provide him with a breather, as Xhaka was eligible to play. We were never the same team after the injury to Cazorla.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Been told if he puts in a MOTM performance in the final and we win, @Jury is getting a full kit with his name on the shirt. :drool:
He’s a low-ceiling bum, but as long as he’s doing his best and isn’t giving away penalties and is generally appearing to actually be on our side, I’ll be happy to accept I have no choice but to watch him fumble around to the best of his ability, hopefully.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
1. No
2. Xhaka

The post was a trolling attempt to antagonise the Xhaka hating agenda merchants. But I do highly rate Xhaka, that doesn't change.

Xhaka haters are so bias that they can't even praise him for good performances. He's basically been our player of the season and is one of the best midfielders in the league but guys want to act like he's terrible because they personally hate him.

Tomb Bombadil

I think he's really important for the compactness and balance in the team. He's in the right place in the defensiv situations and he's also a leader on the pitch.

I think you can compare him from the importance with Henderson. Better passer then him but runs less and makes more errors. Both not the best players in the world but really important for the team.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Honestly this guy's form under Arteta has simply been incredible, that City performance was defensively up there with one of the best I've seen in a long time, he and Dani atm work really well together.

If he keeps this up next season and has no silly errors then for me I'm happy to keep him in midfield.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
We were never the same team after the injury to Cazorla.

Pretty much. With Cazorla we lost our most technical player and we have only lost more since then and not really replaced them. And I don't think technically gifted players were a focus for Emery to begin with.
Which is a shame, because Xhaka-Cazorla would have been a very complete partnership in terms of ability.

But thinking of Arsenal in general with a *what could have been* mentality leads to near depression so it is what it is.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Xhaka haters are so bias that they can't even praise him for good performances. He's basically been our player of the season and is one of the best midfielders in the league but guys want to act like he's terrible because they personally hate him.
Hate the guy but I'll say he played great, just like Luiz and Mustafi.

My problem is, as soon as we open up and play 2 CB's, with more attacking football in place, all of their flaws will be exposed again, I have no doubt about that.
Parking the bus does suit all 3 of them, and at least we may see some cup success this season based on these tactics and their qualities around it.

Xhaka's size and sense for positioning are the key to the way we play now and his flaws that come with his lack of pace and agility won't matter when he plays so close to CB's.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
As much as I loved Santi people definitely exaggerate his contribution to Arsenal.
Santi was a joy to watch and a true magician, but nobody ever said he would lead us to titles or anything. It was a privilege watching him in our shirt and let's leave it with that

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Tryna find a diplomatic way to say he’s overrated.

He’s one of my favourite Arsenal players ever and he was undoubtedly a great player just that he’s been overrated since he left.

Don't think many would have him up against our great midfielders of the 2000s and before, but he is a genuine contender for our best player of the 2010s...don't think any Arsenal fan would rate him higher than that.

Shalmaneser V

That tells you everything about just how atrocious we have been this season.

BigPoppaPump

Don't think many would have him up against our great midfielders of the 2000s and before, but he is a genuine contender for our best player of the 2010s...don't think any Arsenal fan would rate him higher than that.

Sometimes people go on like he was this elite world class player which he wasn't but still doesn't take away from how great he was. Our best player of the decade was probably Alexis but Arsenal fans seem to hate him for not much of a reason tbh.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
We have to play like minnows & defend for our lives to get results with having like 30% possession but according to some Xhaka is this elite player. We're 10th while having the best striker in the league, somehow we have an elite midfielder & everyone has agenda against him

The standards of this fanbase keeps on dropping.

Riou

Sometimes people go on like he was this elite world class player which he wasn't but still doesn't take away from how great he was. Our best player of the decade was probably Alexis but Arsenal fans seem to hate him for not much of a reason tbh.

This is kind of a good enough reason tbf...

4877FA8700000578-0-image-m-33_1516714330114.jpg

:lol:

I agree that we shouldn't hold it against players if they are leaving to join a team in a better position than us...but if they join a rival, then it's acceptable for fans to not hold them in as high as regard as they once did...that's football fandom.

BigPoppaPump

This is kind of a good enough reason tbf...

4877FA8700000578-0-image-m-33_1516714330114.jpg

:lol:

I agree that we shouldn't hold it against players if they are leaving to join a team in a better position than us...but if they join a rival, then it's acceptable for fans to not hold them in as high as regard as they once did...that's football fandom.

People hated him before that too.

We bought him in his prime and he was amazing for us, played all his best years here and once he was finished he went off to United to take all their money and be terrible. The fact that he pissed so many United fans off is good enough for me.

Also, don't be so condescending about what football fandom is, don't point out the obvious and act like you're teaching me something.

Riou

People hated him before that too.

We bought him in his prime and he was amazing for us, played all his best years here and once he was finished he went off to United to take all their money and be terrible. The fact that he pissed so many United fans off is good enough for me.

Also, don't be so condescending about what football fandom is, don't point out the obvious and act like you're teaching me something.

Oh yeah, you're right...the whole "he disrupts our flow" from our fans was a little ridiculous when he was here, that's what top forwards do, high risk/high rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom