• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

iu

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That worked once in a blue moon. Most of the time we would concede while having most of the possession and as the time went on, we'd go in their own box to force a goal only to be caught on the counter again.
It happened all the time since we moved to the Emirates.
You don't get top 4 and CL group stages for 20 years by losing all the time. You don't get Wenger's extraordinary win rate for his spend by being inept. Most of the time we didn't concede by having most of the possession, and it didn't happen all the time after moving to the Emirates.

Wenger's gone, there's really no need to keep repeating this ridiculous narrative and disrespecting him.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Giroud was good in the semi, but he's yet to meet the Arteta effect.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Arteta certainly has a lot of potential as a manger & setting up a completely new squad when he can overtime. One thing about the way he's been playing that makes me nervous, playing more defenders, trying to get the lead when he can, after that if he does, sitting deep right back on the box & just defending for the rest of the game even with just a 1 goal lead. He also takes off so many of our attackers for more defenders off the bench we are often just finished with 1 attacker & just play on the counter.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
You don't get top 4 and CL group stages for 20 years by losing all the time. You don't get Wenger's extraordinary win rate for his spend by being inept. Most of the time we didn't concede by having most of the possession, and it didn't happen all the time after moving to the Emirates.

Wenger's gone, there's really no need to keep repeating this ridiculous narrative and disrespecting him.
That's why we didn't win the league or any european trophy, though. We weren't as good tactically as our rivals/opposition and the personnel wasn't always the best, especially in defense.
It's not a ridiculous narrative. It's the truth. I'm not trying to disrespect him, but it is a failing of his, even if he worked wonders with the constraints that he had/imposed for himself after we moved.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

That's why we didn't win the league or any european trophy, though. We weren't as good tactically as our rivals/opposition and the personnel wasn't always the best, especially in defense.
It's not a ridiculous narrative. It's the truth. I'm not trying to disrespect him, but it is a failing of his, even if he worked wonders with the constraints that he had/imposed for himself after we moved.
No, we didn't win the league because we were outspent 10 or 11 times by much richer clubs. Apart from Leicester, no club spending 5th in any league in Europe has won the league title in modern times. It wasn't Wenger, it wasn't a level playing field, it wasn't his tactics and it's a grand canyon away from the truth.

Lets get behind Arteta and stop chipping away at the great man.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Apart from Leicester
You sabotaged your own argument there. We had the best chance of winning the title that year and we bottled that too.
Their squad wasn't as good as ours, but they had the hunger and the tactical knowledge to pull it off.

The problem with our squad since moving was that Wenger got rid of the Invincibles within 2 years and those kids had no one to learn from.

Had we transitioned from the old to the new in a more organic way, we would have definitely done better in the league and European football, because that experience they provided would have given us the extra mile needed to get over the finish line.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

You sabotaged your own argument there. We had the best chance of winning the title that year and we bottled that too.
Their squad wasn't as good as ours, but they had the hunger and the tactical knowledge to pull it off.

The problem with our squad since moving was that Wenger got rid of the Invincibles within 2 years and those kids had no one to learn from.

Had we transitioned from the old to the new in a more organic way, we would have definitely done better in the league and European football, because that experience they provided would have given us the extra mile needed to get over the finish line.
They waited 140 years to win the league once. It's called a freak. They had virtually no injuries and we lost our midfield, Carzorla, Coq and Arteta to injury in November, for months.

Look, despite all the stats to the contrary people made up this story that we should have been league champions and it's all Wenger's fault that we weren't. It was a good story made up because fans were p!ssed at boring old top 4. This is the Arteta thread so lets leave it there.

GunnerShy

Giroud was good in the semi, but he's yet to meet the Arteta effect.
He's a warrior Giroud. Gave us great service, and Chelsea (sold too cheap!). He can be a tricky match up because if there's a stage like the weekend where Chelsea bombard us with corners or crosses and as we sit in a deep block, he's much more dangerous with his gorgeous handsome head than any city players.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

He's a warrior Giroud. Gave us great service, and Chelsea (sold too cheap!). He can be a tricky match up because if there's a stage like the weekend where Chelsea bombard us with corners or crosses and as we sit in a deep block, he's much more dangerous with his gorgeous handsome head than any city players.
Just got to block that scorpion kick :lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The way football is now, would players care about any other European competition other than the Champions League...doubt any want to play for on the condition that we are in the Europa League, is there even much money in qualifying for the Europa?

Don't get me wrong, I want us to qualify for Europe, I even rate the Europa...but I don't think it will be a deal breaker for any of our potential signings.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The way football is now, would players care about any other European competition other than the Champions League...doubt any want to play for on the condition that we are in the Europa League, is there even much money in qualifying for the Europa?

Don't get me wrong, I want us to qualify for Europe, I even rate the Europa...but I don't think it will be a deal breaker for any of our potential signings.

Its worth around 15-20M initially, which isn't much but if you get to the semi final/final you're making another £15-25M on top of that.

Arteta could also have been given more reassurances on finances for that exact reason if he makes Europe.

Basically winning the FA cup could be the difference between signing an Aouar or signing Buendia.

GoonerJay24

It was more injuries that prevented us winning trophies

GunnerShy

Its worth around 15-20M initially, which isn't much but if you get to the semi final/final you're making another £15-25M on top of that.

Arteta could also have been given more reassurances on finances for that exact reason if he makes Europe.

Basically winning the FA cup could be the difference between signing an Aouar or signing Buendia.
I think the figure when we made the final was approx. 35m.

There's now pluses and minuses to that. 7.5% of the wages go back to the players that agreed a cut (approx 15m?)

So that's 20m. But we would lose money from season tickets which would have to come down on price for less matches. So maybe that's 15-20m that gets back to around the 35-40m figure.

Top Bottom