• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rob Holding: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
but on the pitch it's been a very poor four years.

That's not true. He had some good games his first season, topped off with a cup final win. Second season was poor on the whole. Bounced back in his third before the horrendous injury, and hasn't got going this year with some poor games. A mix of good and bad.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Elneny was the same, signed on the cheap yet we were turning down offers for him at a massive profit, now we couldn't pay a club to take him. Sums up the mismanagement that's been going on for so long. Like the signings of Holding and Elneny would be fine if we could sell them for a profit after realising they're not good enough. We gave Elneny a contract until 2022 tho and the number 4 shirt.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

That's not true. He had some good games his first season, topped off with a cup final win. Second season was poor on the whole. Bounced back in his third before the horrendous injury, and hasn't got going this year with some poor games. A mix of good and bad.
But that's not good enough for a 'top six' side is it?

Lets simplify it and say he's had a four year audition to be a top six SB. I think we can all say he's failed that and so, his signing turned out to be a poor one no?

Mustafi has excellent attributes for a CB but has mental problems, David Luiz is still one of the best ball playing CBs in the world, Chambers and Mari have also shown that they are as good on the ball as the best of them with Chambers even being able to play at RB and in CM.

Holding seems to have nothing, no stand-out attribute or hint of potential. The ceiling is at the basement for him. At a top club you should either be a player who:

1. Is starting eleven quality
  2. Was starting eleven quality but have been bumped down by somebody better and will continue to push them
  3. Not starting eleven quality but shows potential to get there in the short-medium term

We have our worst collection of CBs in years and Holding still doesn't fall into any of the three.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
Lets simplify it and say he's had a four year audition to be a top six SB. I think we can all say he's failed that and so, his signing turned out to be a poor one no?

He's finished top six three of the four years he's been here and barely played the year we've dropped out. For me the jury is still out on his success as a signing as like I said in my previous post it's been a mix of good and bad during his time here, plus with a big injury pretty much writing off a season-season and a half of it.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
Wouldn't be against a loan move next season in the event of no takers to buy him. Not sure he'd be keen on it as his age mind you. Gives him a chance at regular football and either raising his reputation here or enough to get a move somewhere else. One things clear he definitely needs more game time next season.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He’s not awful, just not suited to the team. If you want to see how much setup matters to a CB than compare back four Luiz vs back three Luiz.

Loan him to a defensive side for a year then a club like Everton will come in with a big bid the following summer.

darkgunner

Lmao the hate for him here is ridiculous, he's a 3rd/4th choice CB on low wages who is playing because of players out through injury.

Mustafi, Sokratis, Kolasinac and Luiz are getting paid 100k per week and they're not even top 4 starting quality. I'd look at getting rid of any of those players before I get rid of Holding.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Lmao the hate for him here is ridiculous, he's a 3rd/4th choice CB on low wages who is playing because of players out through injury.

Mustafi, Sokratis, Kolasinac and Luiz are getting paid 100k per week and they're not even top 4 starting quality. I'd look at getting rid of any of those players before I get rid of Holding.

I agree with what you say, unfortunately we've created a position where poor players earn too much. Holding is no worse than them, he may be better then some but he's not good enough for us and he's the only one out of the 5 that other teams will consider due to sensible salary.

GunnerShy

He belongs at club in the lower half of the table.

Not because he's some awful defender, he's just not.the right sort.of.player for how we want our back four to play. It's not fair on him or us. A decent player, but I think the wrong sort for us.

akhil

Mustafi and Luiz got a break from the abuse that’s now gone onto Holding and Kolasiniac. Cedric and Mari were meant to be next in line but Mari injury stopped it.

Knee jerk reactions on this thread. He had a bad game, he had good ones before that. His mistakes on the ball can be rectified for the most part.

He's behind in his development cause of his injuries and lack of consistent game time. How are you supposed to actually improve when you play a cup game once a month which has been the case for most of his time here except for the couple of months before his injury. We're going to have similar output from Saliba as well, he's 19. He's going to make mistakes.

In the last 5 years, only Bellerin and Iwobi (only after Sanchez left) have received consistent game time in the league. We've bought a ton players on big wages who've turned out to be rubbish or near there and basically not given the youth a fair shot. At least with the young players, if they don't pan out we could move them on for a decent fee.

I'd get rid of others before I got rid of him.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I like his personality be he couldn't be any further from a consistent performer, what ever the reason it's the opposite of what we need right now. Doesn't strike me as someone who can step in and do a job as a squad option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom