• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Poor fella IMO - he really was talented but his lack of self-belief led to his poor conviction. Gervinho+confidence would have been a success at Arsenal IMO.

It’s tough to have your own fans boo you and really emphasize any mistake. I really think Gervinho was assassinated by our own support. If someone starts to not do well, our fans come down hard on them and ridicule. It really takes an elite mentality to make it at arsenal for that reason. I think that’s what can cause our mental weakness too, you can only take so much.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Gervinho just didn't have it, he was a great dribbler with no idea what to do with the ball after that. A counterattacking team would've been better suited for him but even then he was always extremely limited. An 18 year old Sterling had a better final ball than he did. Its easy to put things down to confidence but he was very well supported for a long time here, I dont remember him ever having to deal with anything that even approaches the stuff Xhaka had to deal with.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
What a job he's done. I think he deserves massive credit for unifying the club again. You can see all of the players love him, and he's gotten the majority of fans on board.

Back this man and we are going places imo.
It's so true. When Wenger left, I felt the heart of our club had been ripped out. Ken Friar was the only "link" or real Arsensl man. Arteta has stamped on my apathy and I care again. He's done a fantastic job in a very short time.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Gervinho just didn't have it, he was a great dribbler with no idea what to do with the ball after that. A counterattacking team would've been better suited for him but even then he was always extremely limited. An 18 year old Sterling had a better final ball than he did. Its easy to put things down to confidence but he was very well supported for a long time here, I dont remember him ever having to deal with anything that even approaches the stuff Xhaka had to deal with.

I suppose it was moreso constant groans, not so much booing. He didn’t do himself any favors, he gave a lot of groaning material.... but it did make me cringe and compound his failures I think.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
I suppose it was moreso constant groans, not so much booing. He didn’t do himself any favors, he gave a lot of groaning material.... but it did make me cringe and compound his failures I think.

nah he was getting the Eboue treatment... It is telling that our greatest moments recently have not been in front of an Emirates crowd. Frankly the crowd sucks bigtime.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
One of the most steady and dependable midfielders of the premier league era. Absolute slander from @Gegen Pressing. Mikel was a great player in his day.

I love him as a manager but let's not rewrite history. Arteta was the definition of a steady eddy during his time at Everton and Arsenal. He was good but never up there with his contemporaries, Alonso, Gerrard, Lampard, Essien, Mascherano, Carrick etc. Let alone the midfielders of the entire premier league era.

Good not great.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I love him as a manager but let's not rewrite history. Arteta was the definition of a steady eddy during his time at Everton and Arsenal. He was good but never up there with his contemporaries, Alonso, Gerrard, Lampard, Essien, Mascherano, Carrick etc. Let alone the midfielders of the entire premier league era.

Good not great.

He was a steady eddy type at Arsenal, given the age we signed him...think at his best at Everton he was more than that though, probably the best midfielder outside the top four teams or very close to it.

Agree he wasn't in the top bracket though.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Its easy to put things down to confidence but he was very well supported for a long time here, I dont remember him ever having to deal with anything that even approaches the stuff Xhaka had to deal with.
Lol nah he got shat on very quickly tbh.

A lot of things went against him like his choice of haircut, the timing (we lost 2 WC players at the time he joined) - he would have had to have been something out of this world to make it here when he joined.

I’m not even surprised at how many of our less popular players have turned up with decent performances recently because of no crowds. Our fanbase are actually arseholes (in my opinion) and I’ve said this for years.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Good not great.
I mentioned he was one of the most steady and dependable midfielders in my post which you rewrote as steady eddy and added a tier above him which I never listed in my post...? Not sure if you're agreeing with me or disagreeing lol.... o_O We also signed him when he was 29..

Macho

Dusted 🔻

He was a steady eddy type at Arsenal, given the age we signed him...think at his best at Everton he was more than that though, probably the best midfielder outside the top four teams or very close to it.

Agree he wasn't in the top bracket though.
Indeed, Arteta was good we just signed him a bit late.
Everton was peak Arteta he just stayed there a bit too long.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I mentioned he was one of the most steady and dependable midfielders in my post which you rewrote as steady eddy and added a tier above him which I never listed in my post...? Not sure if you're agreeing with me or disagreeing lol.... o_O We also signed him when he was 29..

I thought you were putting him up there with the best midfielders of all time. When I think of steady and most dependable I think of the greats who did it week in week out at a 9/10 level like a Lampard or Scholes.

It looks like I misread your post and we're actually on the same page

Manberg

Predator
Arteta as a player for Arsenal had a big part to play in getting the team to agree to train overtime the year we were 12 points behind Sp**s and ended up finishing above them, and in the top 4. Also captained the team towards Arsenal’s first trophy in 9 years. You can’t understate his efforts or talent.

GoonerJay24

Good not great.

He was one of the best midfielders in the league playing for us; brilliant deep lying midfield player especially next to Ramsey or Song

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Lol nah he got shat on very quickly tbh.

A lot of things went against him like his choice of haircut, the timing (we lost 2 WC players at the time he joined) - he would have had to have been something out of this world to make it here when he joined.

I’m not even surprised at how many of our less popular players have turned up with decent performances recently because of no crowds. Our fanbase are actually arseholes (in my opinion) and I’ve said this for years.

I genuinely dont remember him being booed? Never imnd the abuse Xhaka got, he split opinions for a while but some people always loved him. He just wasnt particularly good I dont recall anyone hating him.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member

Good not great.

Carrick especially could only work in a very defensive team that played long ball and had a great defence that defended deep behind him. It says it all Scholes was brought back after retirement because he offered so little. He was the true steady eddy.

Gerrard was effectively a second striker, very good at that role but not that great.

Alsonso was a class above.

Mascherano was good defensively but couldnt pass the ball.

Lampard was good overall going forward but not that great anywhere else, again more of a second striker with tons of freedom and penalties.

Essien was a good all rounder without being great.

Arteta had to cope with massive problems in our setup such as a high line with a very slow defender like Mertesacker while helping to organise and drive the team forward.

You could at least pick like Viera or Keane to put down Arteta, fkin Carrick and Essien ffs.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Carrick especially could only work in a very defensive team that played long ball and had a great defence that defended deep behind him. It says it all Scholes was brought back after retirement because he offered so little. He was the true steady eddy.

Gerrard was effectively a second striker, very good at that role but not that great.

Alsonso was a class above.

Mascherano was good defensively but couldnt pass the ball.

Lampard was good overall going forward but not that great anywhere else, again more of a second striker with tons of freedom and penalties.

Essien was a good all rounder without being great.

Arteta had to cope with massive problems in our setup such as a high line with a very slow defender like Mertesacker while helping to organise and drive the team forward.

You could at least pick like Viera or Keane to put down Arteta, fkin Carrick and Essien ffs.

I was trying to be kind. Vieira is one of the best midfielders of all time. No need to use a sledgehammer to make your point when a regular one will do.

I agree somewhat with your assessments. If Essien wasn't up to much, Chelsea would have shipped him out quite quickly. That team didn't tolerate slackers in the first XI.

I'll give you that Gerrard and Lampard were different midfielders, more attacking.

Carrick was great, not up there with the best of all time but he was great for his time. He was never a creative force and didn't need to be. Scholes was brought back because Utd lacked creativity (Again not Carrick's job) and because Ferguson couldn't let go. I think you're also grossly understating the type of football United played in those days. Don't let how they played against us fool you. They were a good footballing side right up till about two or three years after Ronaldo left. Then they became an efficient winning machine.

As far as Mascherano goes, his lack of passing ability didn't prevent him from becoming a top DM. It is odd to criticize an opposition player for having a deficiency when we praise our past players who suffered from a deficiency of some kind in their game. Cazorla and his inability to tackle comes to mind immediately

Last edited:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I genuinely dont remember him being booed? Never imnd the abuse Xhaka got, he split opinions for a while but some people always loved him. He just wasnt particularly good I dont recall anyone hating him.
He got booed. I was there one of the times tbh. It got to the point where Wenger couldn’t even select him anymore. Not the case with Xhaka.

You can check the archives here for his player threads as well. Brutal stuff.

Last edited:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom