• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 231,452

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

senna

Not sure Willian was ever quick. His appeal has always been he's doen the defensive side well and provides an output on attack. We need squad depth, we are very thin & wing is one of them. If pepe & auba are injured we only have Saka who is in his first full season as part of the first team. Nelson needs a loan & Martinelli is out of action until december. Guess Willian could also cover wingback. 2 years would have been ideal but i'm not against this signing provided we use the transfer fee saved is for a couple of blockbuster signings in CM & a quality CB.

senna

The consensus isnt that over 30 is done. The consensus is paying a 32 year old squad player 140k a week for 3 years is stupid.

The idea is if a player is willing to walk away from a club who has given him everything for 1 more year when really it isnt normal and go to a rival it shows the type of player he is. Not one you want in the war with you.

Maybe he walked out away cos he wanted to win things. He had a very good view of the fa cup final, he knows which team has a world class manager and is going places.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
The consensus isnt that over 30 is done. The consensus is paying a 32 year old squad player 140k a week for 3 years is stupid.

The idea is if a player is willing to walk away from a club who has given him everything for 1 more year when really it isnt normal and go to a rival it shows the type of player he is. Not one you want in the war with you.

Auba is a goal machine. Strikers can alter their game. He can do a Jamie Vardy and run less but still with his movement be in the right place at the right time.

I mentioned other potential signings because theres a clear idea. First team player or squad player.

What is Willian? First team? In what position? If he isnt and he is a squad player we are going to play a bench warmer 140k a week?

140k a week isn't a big amount for a Braziliwm international forward in my opinion. 100k a week gets you a Theo Walcott or Welbeck in the modern day.

I'd start him as he's probably better than all of our wide options. You'd think that he possibly won't be as good in 3 years, but I'd be confident he'll be quality for at least 18 months. If he does start to decline, then hopefully at least one of Saka, ESR or Nelson can step up.

Willian improves our team, lives in London and is attainable.

It just seems that people are focusing heavily on (the somewhat justafiable) negatives and skipping over the positives.

I don't see a Willian signing as similar to the Cech or Luiz signings. Cech hadn't been the same keeper since the head injury and didn't fit a ball playing team. Had a good first season though. We knew what we were getting with Lyiz and he's done what he always had - inconsistent brilliance mixed with brain farms.

What are the doubts about Willian as a player?

I agree, I'm not a fan of the jumping ship, but maybe Fat Frank has told him he'll eat bench mainly next season?

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Also why are people under some sort of weird impression you're automatically useless when you reach 30?

PEA, Santi, Per, Bergkamp, Parlour, Adams, Bould,Dixon, Winterburn etc all great in the 30s.

good job we never were linked to Zlatan - this forum would have burned down

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
The reasons I'm not thrilled about this are the reported wages and how it realistically means we won't be signing someone promising in attack

I'm sure he'll put in some performances for us

We have Pepe, Saka, Martinelli, Nelson and ESR on our books. How much more promise do we need in attack?

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
I never saw acceleration as one of Willians major attributes. He had it yes, he still has the ability to shift between his feet and open up space.

I don't worry about hik physically.
I always felt one of his big strengths was that short burst of pace to get away from players. To be fair this season he doesn`t seem to have lost that ability at all and if`s certainly something we lack in the squad, very few of our players have that ability. I also wouldn`t worry too much about him physically, the guy seems very fit, very religious so obviously lives a clean life, not an ounce of fat on his body and is never injured.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We have Pepe, Saka, Martinelli, Nelson and ESR on our books. How much more promise do we need in attack?

True. This transfer would make so much sense on a 1+1 contract. I'd be totally behind it. The way it reported as 3+1 just seems dodgy

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Brazilians abroad over 30 almost always decline really fast/lose all motivation. Basically throwing money away at this point imo.

Yup, I've mentioned this before.

With Ronaldinho it was about just having fun and partying, he still loves playing football, he just checked out on being a peak-level athlete kinda early.

Ronaldo, Kaka, Zico had their bodies give up on them. Rivaldo had a lot to give but chose to go to Greece (iirc).

I will say though, that William seems to be an exception. Like David Luiz, he seems to be a model professional with a good family life/core of people.

Kysus

So signing Willian on a free is super risky because it costs us 18mil over 3 seasons and he could fall off a cliff at some point but signing a 25 year old dude from the premiership for 30mil +20-25mil of wages for 5 years is not because making that step up is so easy and he for sure would be a hit immediately?
Haha

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
140k a week isn't a big amount for a Braziliwm international forward in my opinion. 100k a week gets you a Theo Walcott or Welbeck in the modern day.

I'd start him as he's probably better than all of our wide options. You'd think that he possibly won't be as good in 3 years, but I'd be confident he'll be quality for at least 18 months. If he does start to decline, then hopefully at least one of Saka, ESR or Nelson can step up.

Willian improves our team, lives in London and is attainable.

It just seems that people are focusing heavily on (the somewhat justafiable) negatives and skipping over the positives.

I don't see a Willian signing as similar to the Cech or Luiz signings. Cech hadn't been the same keeper since the head injury and didn't fit a ball playing team. Had a good first season though. We knew what we were getting with Lyiz and he's done what he always had - inconsistent brilliance mixed with brain farms.

What are the doubts about Willian as a player?

I agree, I'm not a fan of the jumping ship, but maybe Fat Frank has told him he'll eat bench mainly next season?

The doubts are.

If he is going to start in what position? On the left. Which he doesnt play. In place of Pepe? As a number 10?

The doubts are about his personality and ambitions. He is leaving a club in the CL who are investing in top players to join a team searching for freebies. A team that finished 8th and has never looked as far away from top 4 in my lifetime. A team who is in a huge transition.

Hes leaving a club he has been a huge part of because he wont be giving something he doesnt even deserve. 2 years is a great deal.

And if he was told he has 2 years and is rotation risk hes doing what Cech did and say. Well if I cant get a game for Chelsea il go to Arsenal and play abit there for a few more quid.

No hunger. No desire. No ambition. Just in it for the money.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I like the player, but as you said it will have implications on the rest of the window, so it's somewhat underwhelming atm. I want something unfamiliar, and more long term, especially in the attacking department.

Though I have no doubt that he will put in a shift and be useful for a year or two.

Careful, now. Some people are going to accuse you of crying and not seeing only the positives! :rolleyes:

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I do wonder if Willian like David Luiz will bring a lot of mentoring to our group of you g wingers and that's part of the reason

You see Luiz at the end of matches talking to players, wouldn't be surprised if he gives coaching/management a go.

Won't be a surprise if his pal is a similar character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom