• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 231,476

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
you're right though, he didn't play in the final.

He didn’t come here to retire, he came here to player. I think Cechs time here wasn't great though.

Don't seeca corellation to Willian, who has been a starter for Chelsea for most of this season.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Look at the end of the day you can't simultaneously think that Arteta knows what he's doing and he has the trust of the board to implement his vision and think that this is just a deal to grease the palms of Kia and Raul etc.

If you believe that Arteta has the trust and knows what he's doing then it follows that he thinks Willian will help the team on the pitch. It's not like Kia would just make a deal with Raul and then it'd get foisted on Arteta and he'd go along with it. He clearly wouldn't put up with bullsh*t like that.

So if you back the coach and the coach wants the player then there's not much to say about it.
I was a huge fan of Wenger but that doesn't mean all his signings were great. In fact there was a good share of crappy ones - Silvestre comes to mind as a similar one to this.

The board has its agenda, agents have their agenda and the manager doesn't win every argument on transfers. Somehow I don't think Arteta is rubbing his hands in excitement at the prospect of having a 36 year old Willian gracing the Emirates.

Anyone saying willian has already started to decline are making stuff up. He's had one of his best seasons this year for chelssa. Not doubt there's financial incentive driving his transfer here somewhat but if you look at someone like Luiz he could have downed tools here and just taken the wages before retirement. Not saying he was a great signing, he's made massive mistakes as he has done for his whole career, but he's been motivated and given everything. You can't doubt that about him since he's here. His shortcomings for us have been his usual weaknesses.
Willian has an excellent attitude, fantastic work rate and dosent strike me to be an Özil that will down tools, despite the contract. He's one of the few players for Chelsea that never drops his level when the manager (Jose, Conte) has lost the dressing room or is struggling.
Having said that I'm against giving him such a long contract. He'll be hard to budge if he declines dramatically after 2 years which is likely. Plus there's the Kia element, what position he will play and also the fact I'm not a massive massive fan of his playing style

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Mutu was great for Parma back then too, good side.
Mutu's one my own. He got in with the wrong crowd and was sold by Chelsea after the coke sniffing scandal.
I'm still bummed that he took that penalty against Italy at the '08 Euros. Man was playing for Juve and Buffon knew his shtick, yet he still decided to shoot. One of our greatest exports after Hagi, but a real self centered jackass.

Robinho still had a protagonist role during Dunga's first stint as a manager in the Copa America.

Adriano... he has serious mental health issues. Depression, alcoholism, he gave his last drop to win Flamengo the league and then he just sort of wanted to walk around barefoot in the favela he grew up in, with his childhood friends (some of which are druglords, so... yeah).

Imagine not having enough food on the table and becoming a young millionaire overnight. If you don't have a good core of people around you, that care about you and your carreer you are going to falter.
Exactly. How many English players have declined before they even hit their peak? Or way before their 30s even. Even Germans, fantastic football nation with disciplined players of a top mentality, most of the world Cup winning team of 14 declined within a year of winning it, many of them only coming into their late 20s. Lazy stereotype to say Brazilians decline and lose hunger so young.
For every Ronaldinho theres a Gascoigne
For every pato theres a Wilshere

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
That's what I said before. Cech came here cause he couldn't get a game for chelsea.

Willian can though. He possibly can't be arsed to rotate with Ziyech as Willian is better.

I can't believe we're talking about Willian on a free being bad business.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Mutu was great for Parma back then too, good side.

Serie A was such a great league back then. World class players in almost the entire top half.

Likes of Parma and a few others were a house of cards but it probably was the best league in the world right up until Calicopoli.

The monopolies of Inter then eventually Juventus that followed broke that league imo.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Still can’t believe what happened to Adriano, his career was almost done overnight.

Seeing him for Inter and Parma he looked like the next best striker in world football. Fast like R9 but such a unit as well.

Sad he couldn’t escape the life behind him, must be one of the biggest what ifs out there.

In a way Messi and Ronaldo have answered all the what ifs. What if that incredibly skilful little winger could do that dribble every single match and never get injured for 15 years, what if there was a perfect athlete who could do everything and never stopped scoring.

Like before Messi and Ronaldo we could glimpse at things like that, but the flame would go out before it really took hold. R9's knee went, Adriano's health worsened, many such examples.

In a way it's more fun to have the what ifs and the potential, because when an incredibly talented footballer combines that talent with incredible fitness and competitive motivation across 10-15 years it yields unbelievable results yes, but it becomes a bit sterile after a while.

It's like Messi and Ronaldo have completed football, which is a problem, because what is there to do for all the ones who follow? They've been too perfect.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
In a way Messi and Ronaldo have answered all the what ifs. What if that incredibly skilful little winger could do that dribble every single match and never get injured for 15 years, what if there was a perfect athlete who could do everything and never stopped scoring.

Like before Messi and Ronaldo we could glimpse at things like that, but the flame would go out before it really took hold. R9's knee went, Adriano's health worsened, many such examples.

In a way it's more fun to have the what ifs and the potential, because when an incredibly talented footballer combines that talent with incredible fitness and competitive motivation across 10-15 years it yields unbelievable results yes, but it becomes a bit sterile after a while.

It's like Messi and Ronaldo have completed football, which is a problem, because what is there to do for all the ones who follow? They've been too perfect.
Messi and Ronaldo copped out and took the easy way. They never tested themselves on a rainy winter's night at Rotherham or Rochdale.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I was a huge fan of Wenger but that doesn't mean all his signings were great. In fact there was a good share of crappy ones - Silvestre comes to mind as a similar one to this.

The board has its agenda, agents have their agenda and the manager doesn't win every argument on transfers. Somehow I don't think Arteta is rubbing his hands in excitement at the prospect of having a 36 year old Willian gracing the Emirates.

Sure, every coach makes mistakes in the transfer market. Arteta will also make mistakes in the market. But you can only judge that later in the fullness of time, and Arteta has more information about the player than we do at the moment. So maybe just trust him for now.

Token Yank

I like this transfer. Always thought he was one of their better players. Free transfer, professional, knows the league and city. Shouldn't be any adjustment period. Can provide some leadership to the kids.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
So Chelsea are signing a young up and coming winger. We're signing the guy that they're discarding to make room for their new star.

He's also 32, Brazilian, and we're giving him three years.

We're also increasing his wages?

Is that right? I thought Raul was supposed to be a wheeler-dealer. Who gives a 32-year-old an increase in his wages?

At those wages he'll have to start, meaning that he will block Saka and Nelson, the future. Chelsea have done us up like a kipper if this goes through.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Willian kicking Gdeep out of AM like...

maven-eliminates-undertaker-o.gif

...my man!

Last edited:

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Wait a second... it just hit me. Posts saying Willian leaving after almost a decade at the Chavs winning practically everything have just not sunk in. I remember when the ****er sketched on Sp**s last minute like it was yesterday. **** me, I'm getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom