• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 231,499

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
0058E8D300000258-5170463-image-a-37_1513185982490.jpg

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I've watched him this season, he isn't anywhere close to the play was in 2015/2016 for example, nowhere near as explosive which I thought was one of his main strengths. Now he seems to be purely an end product player. Which is fine. It's more the length of the contract and the wages that's my issue.

Not as explosive, true, but he has just had the most productive league season of his career.

Not as explosive, true, but he has just had the most productive league season of his career.

Admittedly only seen him in a handful of Chelsea matches and against arsenal twicde this season but in those matches and seeing his goals he's scored all season from hightlights most of them were scored by him beating a player or explosively blowing past them before shooting. So still think he's explosive enough and far more than our current options. Always great work rate, good crosser, dribbler and decent link up play. Excellent set pieces. My criticisms of him would be that he dosent score enough, including last season, nor the most creative of passers.
Think hell provide the defensive work arteta expects (and any decent manager should) from his attackers and wingers. Hell also float centrally alot and link the play between the midfield and front three better than our current front three. Picks up a lot of number 10 positions. But when I say link, moreso simple passes to the other attackers. Won't dramatically solve our creativity issues. At best some improved crossing.

balthazar

Robinho still had a protagonist role during Dunga's first stint as a manager in the Copa America.

Adriano... he has serious mental health issues. Depression, alcoholism, he gave his last drop to win Flamengo the league and then he just sort of wanted to walk around barefoot in the favela he grew up in, with his childhood friends (some of which are druglords, so... yeah).

Imagine not having enough food on the table and becoming a young millionaire overnight. If you don't have a good core of people around you, that care about you and your carreer you are going to falter.

Exactly. His dad also died of a heart-attack and Adriano became severely depressed, starting drinking too much. Really sad story actually.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

It’s not an inspiring signing to say the least.

We couldn’t get him from Chelsea in his mid/late twenties in his peak and he wouldn’t have come here.

He would no doubt still do a job though, there’s just no excitement cause you know what you’re getting. An aging star that used to be sick but now just wants to secure his future.

Token Yank

It’s not an inspiring signing to say the least.

We couldn’t get him from Chelsea in his mid/late twenties in his peak and he wouldn’t have come here.

He would no doubt still do a job though, there’s just no excitement cause you know what you’re getting. An aging star that used to be sick but now just wants to secure his future.
I get where you're coming from but I can't see how 'just wants to seal his future' can be proven. I think Özil sitting around doing nothing has clouded our judgement. Who is to say he is not highly motivated and wants the challenge of being a part of taking a semi-fallen giant back to top. It's hard to say what motivates these players. Luiz for all his problems has generally been good for us and seems to play his heart out everyday, seems to care about the club, and has an interest in taking a mentorship role. Willian is a fine player and seems to be a hardworking professional. Maybe Arteta wants some proven vets to help guide the youngsters and still contribute on the field.

ArsenalWeekly

It’s honestly mind blowing how people can be so shortsighted. It’s a god damned travesty that one of those people is in charge of making all of the transfer decisions for the club. Willian being a good signing basically means one of these two things is true:

A: We're outsmarting the market when literally no one else is willing to offer him a three year contract except the MLS

or

B: By complete luck, the player best served to lead our revival is a 32-year-old who, coincidentally, is managed by the same agent that just got Cedric a four year contract that will last HIM until he’s basically the same age that Willian is now

Willian will be decent enough next year when he plays (which hopefully is rarely given doing so forces our record signing to the bench), then fall off a cliff for the final two years (and hopefully not three). At which point the entire fan base will lament giving him a thee year deal because we can’t move him on. Just like Sokratis, and Özil, and Kolasinac, and Mkhitaryan, and Mustafi, and...

Name me a pacey winger that significantly contributed to a top four side after the age of 34.

Last edited:

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm happy with this signing but we need to wait on the details of it, it will become a bad signing for me if its a four year deal (even if 4th is an option) and on 200k.

Willian for me was one of chelsea's best performer last season, hes technically at the level that Arteta wants in the team and we have Saka, Nelson and Martinelli coming thru on the wings so if he cant play every three days at the age of 34 then we will still have solid options that we can rotate with.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Excuse me, he’s 32 in a few days? I thought he was 30 and I was against it. Please god no. :lol:

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
This guy just screams ****** to me. The fact he's hanging out with Grealish and Alli does not suprise me in the slightest.
Someone please tell me Jack Wilshere was never like that. They look like proper ****s who ruin everybody's holiday from the moment you see them at the airport.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
If he starts and performs well it is. However who's position does he take. If pepe is first choice we are paying 6-7m a year for a squad player. We can get that type of player a lot cheaper than 130/140k a week.

But you cant get the same consistent quality for cheaper.

I get why the clubs doing this, don't have to worry about ffp this year so wages aren't so much of a problem because of the 50m a year thats leaving next summer. You bring Willian in as that 4th option for the front 3 and you've got some serious options.

Plus he will be an excellent mentor for Martinelli and Saka.

Arteta obviously has a 3 year plan. Auba is getting a 3 year deal and its likely that Laca will get an extension or be sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom