• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 231,532

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Once Ajax went down to 9 he really started pulling the strings.

Don’t know how that’s a controversial comment, clear case to be made that he’s Chelsea’s best player.
Nice, we just need to hope our opponents get two red cards every game. That will really get the best out of Willian!

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I was a huge fan of Wenger but that doesn't mean all his signings were great. In fact there was a good share of crappy ones - Silvestre comes to mind as a similar one to this.

The board has its agenda, agents have their agenda and the manager doesn't win every argument on transfers. Somehow I don't think Arteta is rubbing his hands in excitement at the prospect of having a 36 year old Willian gracing the Emirates.

According to Ornstein this deal is being driven by Arteta, and it's not the most lucrative offer being presented to Willian. So that means 1) the coach wants him for sporting reasons and 2) the club isn't throwing stupid amounts of money at this deal.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

It’s still hard to get behind this but if Arteta really does want him I’ll back it.

Even after COVID Arteta kept banging on about the plan and the cohesiveness within the board, the idea to take this club further. Said we relied on Europa to help fund this plan, we have that now.

Just hope this wasn’t all media talk.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
According to Ornstein this deal is being driven by Arteta, and it's not the most lucrative offer being presented to Willian. So that means 1) the coach wants him for sporting reasons and 2) the club isn't throwing stupid amounts of money at this deal.
The first point alleviates some of my concerns (primarily his age and remaining motivation).

The second point could be relative to other offers. I believe he currently earns £120k (about the same we gave Luiz, unless he's now on reduced terms). Not the most lucrative could still mean we offered him £180k, compared to Chelsea's £200k (just an example). I'd be okay with the signing if the offer is around his current wages (and does not include a fourth year, ideally it's a 2+1). Otherwise, it would still be 'stupid money' in my eyes.

The upside is that if we sign him as an LW, at least he won't block Saka's development and there is plenty of opportunity to rotate. Saka could learn a thing or two if Willian can bring across his experience (and still gives a **** after securing his deal).

I won't judge this signing until I see the rest of the window. If this allows us to go hard at Partey + creative CM + solid CB (+ ideally some unknown gem) then the window has been successful.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

if true it does change yhings

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
People believed the "colossal" wage talk because it was fitting their agenda, wont mention any names.

But if anyone thinks about it logically after we cut Luiz wage by a lot we were always going to offer Willian what hes on now or even lower if the contract is longer.

Top Quality

Watching the final on Saturday they showed Willian in the stands. My wife asked me: "Oh, wow, how young is that guy?!". She would not believe he was a day older than 17. What I'm saying is, I don't think the age concerns are anything to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom