• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He was here when we won a coupe of trophies, just as lots of other players were here. I don't know why his presence in a couple of our FA cup winning squads is stated so much... I mean, it's not even as if any particular moments from him spring to mind in any of the cup runs, so it just makes it all the stranger.

As best, he was an enigmatic player who split the fan base from quite early, who started quite well and tailed off badly. That was Özil's Arsenal career.
it's not about who contributed more, the whole thing is about completely discrediting an important team member just because he's no longer at his best.

Some of these posters need to man up and admit their dislike of Özil. I'm fine if you don't like him or anyone else.

Also, I bet you that we wouldn't be having this conversation if he hadn't antagonized both China and Germany.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Some of these posters need to man up and admit their dislike of Özil. I'm fine if you don't like him or anyone else.
He was one of my favourite players in the world before he joined. It was impossible to not grow up knowing Wenger’s footballing philosophies and not day dream how he would be like at Arsenal. I was also one of the fans that pushed for an extension.

He’s just not good anymore, I’d rather he was. He was given 2 chances this season with all the managers we’ve had and he still couldn’t be f*cked.

Nothing personal on my side I don’t even get that mad at him tbh, his blind fanbase though..

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I keep leaning towards there being something wrong with him that we don't know of yet just because I can't imagine this conversation.

Arteta: Mesut I'm going to need you to remain disciplined, play your role for us and put in the yards for us where possible
Mesut: No, I don't want to do that.

Say what you want about him but he's always wanted to play, always been annoyed when getting subbed off. Whole thing is fishy.

The Amy Lawrence article says that he's sometimes blocked from returning to full training despite feeling fine. Very confusing. He would be good coming off the bench at least, somebody you can bring on to retain the ball and see narrow games out. Just can't get over how we don't use him at all.

Pop Tart

Established Member
I keep leaning towards there being something wrong with him that we don't know of yet just because I can't imagine this conversation.

Arteta: Mesut I'm going to need you to remain disciplined, play your role for us and put in the yards for us where possible
Mesut: No, I don't want to do that.

Say what you want about him but he's always wanted to play, always been annoyed when getting subbed off. Whole thing is fishy.

The Amy Lawrence article says that he's sometimes blocked from returning to full training despite feeling fine. Very confusing. He would be good coming off the bench at least, somebody you can bring on to retain the ball and see narrow games out. Just can't get over how we don't use him at all.
Mesut is hardly a impact player when the chips are down.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
A team like Cardiff could set up to create overloads on the pitch against Barcelona; but this won't matter as Barca have better technical players.

At the end of the day quality is more important than tactics.
No manager would be happy to create underload or being overload by the opponent, this is regardless of players quality.

The Cardiff manager will definitely try to find ways to overload in attack and prevent being overload in defence. Whether he fails to do it is another question. Whether their players are incapable to execute the plan is also another question.

You always want to create overload, that gives you numerical advantage. No manager will go into a match: “Let’s create an underload, because our players are better.” No.
That has nothing to do with players quality, it’s just tactical principles.

Last edited:

Pop Tart

Established Member
Still think it's just as simple as Raul trying to be a **** and force Mes out of the club, so we can get as much money back as soon as possible...Özil doesn't care anymore though and is happy to see out his contract in London, similar to Bale at Real.
How is he being a **** when when we all can see it. Smacks me of knowing what he is doing. He on paper has talent and a lot to still offer but does not give two ****s about ambition ,fair enough but do that at fenabache not here

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
How is he being a **** when when we all can see it. Smacks me of knowing what he is doing. He on paper has talent and a lot to still offer but does not give two ****s about ambition ,fair enough but do that at fenabache not here

Some players hit that wall sooner that others, but everyone hits that wall where their mentality starts to drop at some point...Mes has hit his it seems.

Özil is 32, won the World Cup, played for Real and Arsenal...he knows his next career move will be a steep drop in quality, probably is a bit jaded at this stage and isn't overly motivated by what he can achieve anymore...I imagine he is just squeezing all the money he can out of this deal and enjoying London as long as he can, he is entitled to do that.

He will be gone by next summer anyway.

GoonerJay24

No manager would be happy to create underload or being overload by the opponent, this is regardless of players quality.

The Cardiff manager will definitely try to find ways to overload in attack and prevent being overload in defence. Whether he fails to do it is another question. Whether their players are incapable to execute the plan is also another question.

You always want to create overload, that gives you numerical advantage. No manager will go into a match: “Let’s create an underload, because our players are better.” No.
That has nothing to do with players quality, it’s just tactical principles.

Not with instructions to play with an underload, but to express themselves freely without detailed tactics

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not with instructions to play with an underload, but to express themselves freely without detailed tactics
You can't express yourself in modern Football. Everything move on the pitch is directed by the coach and pre-planned. That was Wenger's biggest fault. Giving our players tactical freedom and putting so much trust on their technical ability. When we came up against a well drilled team, we were always exposed.

Last edited:

GoonerJay24

You can't express yourself in modern Football. Everything move on the pitch is directed by the coach and pre-planned. That was Wenger's biggest fault. Given our players tactical flexibility and putting so much trust on their technical ability. When we came up against a well grilled team, we were always exposed.

This is wrong; the top technical players can still play with that freedom. Wenger was unlucky due to the number of injuries and had players with low defensive workrate.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Some players hit that wall sooner that others, but everyone hits that wall where their mentality starts to drop at some point...Mes has hit his it seems.

Özil is 32, won the World Cup, played for Real and Arsenal...he knows his next career move will be a steep drop in quality, probably is a bit jaded at this stage and isn't overly motivated by what he can achieve anymore...I imagine he is just squeezing all the money he can out of this deal and enjoying London as long as he can, he is entitled to do that.

He will be gone by next summer anyway.
But you can't really blame Raul for Özil's mental issues. I know the club really shot itself in the foot during the contract negotiations but even they couldn't have foreseen that he was going to down tools. The club couldn't have predicted that he will give up at 29

Elwood

This is one of the biggest myths / excuse that we have been treated to from the Özil fanbase since we signed him in 2013.

Seriously, it’s 7 seasons here and we still have people that believe this myth. To me Özil has been exposed as a very limited overhyped player at Arsenal. How come Auba (a striker) does not get these cringy excuses? Laca etc.
These kinds of special exceptions are only made for Özil by his very loyal / avid fans that have been following him since 2010.

Can’t the likes of Xhaka etc also use the same excuse? Oh, Xhaka needs to be surrounded by quality players to get the best of him.

Yeah, Özil's career numbers before Arsenal are a myth. /s

He's very limited. He didn't produce what was needed from him, his career here wasn't what we'd hoped for. I belive he should've done better. You're right about that.

However, he was the best at what he did. Number 1 in the world, not 2 or 3 or whatever. The best. That's why he's been given excuses, and why people were willing to see a lot of changes to accommodate him.
When was the last time we had a player that was no1 at something?

Accommodating Özil was definitely worth trying, and i don't believe how anyone can think otherwise, given his talent and our situation at the time.

Unfortunatelly, it didn't work out, and i think it's both Özil's and the club's fault. He should've done much better, especially later on, but the team could've been stronger while he was still at it.

GDeep™

League is very weak
But you can't really blame Raul for Özil's mental issues. I know the club rely shot itself in the foot during the contract negotiations but even they couldn't have foreseen that he was going to down tools. The club couldn't have predicted that he will give at 29
When did he down tools? What mental issues? He was playing when Arteta arrived before Covid.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
it's not about who contributed more, the whole thing is about completely discrediting an important team member just because he's no longer at his best.

Also, I bet you that we wouldn't be having this conversation if he hadn't antagonized both China and Germany.
He definitely played his part because we'd have lost those games with ten men. I wouldn't understate his contribution like I would understate anybody's who played and help get us over the line, but then saying the FA cups are his legacy would also be a bit much--again, just like it would be even if someone said they were Ramsey's legacy, despite his heroics in the competition. It's always a team game.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
But you can't really blame Raul for Özil's mental issues. I know the club rely shot itself in the foot during the contract negotiations but even they couldn't have foreseen that he was going to down tools. The club couldn't have predicted that he will give at 29

I don't blame the club or Özil...we were losing Sanchez to Yanited of all teams, Mes was playing very well at that point, if we announced Özil's contract wasn't being renewed and he was leaving at the end of the year...would have been terrible for the club from a reputation point of view.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

However, he was the best at what he did. Number 1 in the world, not 2 or 3 or whatever. The best. That's why he's been given excuses, and why people were willing to see a lot of changes to accommodate him.
The best in a position that was basically extinct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom